U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM

17,981 posts, read 10,890,133 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here been victim of fraud?

I have not dealt with identity theft thank goodness, but I have had my credit/debit card compromised twice in the last 2 years.

The last time was 3 weeks ago, when someone tried to use my card to purchase something from Best Buy online, two transactions denied and then my bank's card department gave me a call. Thank goodness for these fraud detection systems.

I am still trying to figure out how someone was able to get my card number. I am sure the criminals out there know several ways to do this, and I find that scary.

I do a lot of online shopping, mostly Amazon but also pay my bills online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:42 PM

11,615 posts, read 20,774,393 times
That's covered under this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/ - do a search of identity theft

Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
No ID theft so far. I've had my ATM card compromised a few times and 1 CC card once, and I only shop at reputable online stores.

After the second time with my ATM I set up an "ebank" account with my bank to handle all my online purchases and I use my ATM only locally, that way I can at least tell if it's a local or online compromise. The ebank account never has more than a dollar in it, I transfer money from my regular account when I want to make an online purchase, and it has no overdraft protection, so if a crook gets ahold of it and tries to use it, it will be denied for insufficient funds, that's happened once so far.

It (ATM) was compromised again last year, so that means a local business I used it at had either POS malware or a crook for an employee.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,360,802 times
I signed up with Identity Guard through Costco because it's so rampant and when it happened it was a major PITA.

10k in illegal charges allowed by a incompetent Visa vendor that ate 10k in charges. When they looked at it internally they fired people in their fraud dept. or hired some it was so blatant.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,467,135 times
Someone used my credit card # a couple of years ago to purchase plane tickets to Dubai & Turkey, as well as travel insurance - almost $6k worth. I was able to have the charges taken off immediately.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 PM

1,769 posts, read 929,010 times
Someone has tried to make online Walmart purchases from my Walmart account 2x in the past 3 months. The first time the credit card denied the charge and the CC company notified me via email. I got a new CC number. The last time Walmart sent an email to me saying 2 charges had been denied by Walmart because my card information could not be verified. (Walmart keeps your credit card information stored.) This time I changed my Walmart password. Hopefully, that will put an end to it.

I have had unauthorized charges made to my CC several times over the years. I check my CC charges daily online and keep track of all of them as the month proceeds. Everyone should be keeping close tabs on their credit card charges.

So far, no ID theft. It would be nice if the Social Security Administration would let us verify that no one else is using our SSN but, the last I heard, they would not give out any information like that.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,360,802 times
My new Chase Visa has pin and chip let's see how long it takes hackers across the pond to crack that here............it still is the best way to go.........CC with pin and chip tech

Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Someone has tried to make online Walmart purchases from my Walmart account 2x in the past 3 months. The first time the credit card denied the charge and the CC company notified me via email. I got a new CC number. The last time Walmart sent an email to me saying 2 charges had been denied by Walmart because my card information could not be verified. (Walmart keeps your credit card information stored.) This time I changed my Walmart password. Hopefully, that will put an end to it...

Last year I ordered something from walmart.com. When I went to check out, I noticed that there was an expensive computer sitting in my shopping basket. It was to be sent to a name similar to mine at an address in another state.

I contacted walmart.com customer service and was advised that a previous order for an even more expensive computer had been declined a couple of months prior because my credit card account didnt have enough credit to cover the expense. Walmart.com never advised me of this and neither did my credit card company. Thank goodness I use a credit card with a very small limit for online purchases that dont allow for payment by Paypal.

Walmart.com didnt care about the fraud at all. So I took it on myself to look up the address and google who lived there. I found that the house belonged to a woman who had died recently. I got the the name of of her son from her obituary and called him. He informed me that his niece was living in the house with a boyfriend of questionable character.

I reported the incident to the police in both my city and in the thief's city. Neither one followed up as this kind of crime is apparently considered low priority.

I was so upset with walmart.com's non-interest that I closed out my account. (I've always believed that someone who works for walmart.com was in on the scam.) Now I see that walmart.com has started accepting Paypal. I have a Paypal security key which gives me a different code every time I log in -- so it would be pretty difficult for someone to hack my Paypal account.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,004 times
I recently posted an ad on Craigslist for a LV Handbag. I was contacted via text message by someone in Wilmington NC that wanted to purchase my bag. They asked for my paypal address so I sent a money request to the email address they provided. However, I called Paypal to check if the email address was from a verified account & they told me no. Then they told me that they wanted to send me a Western Union Moneygram with a courier to pick up my bag. Also, they wanted to add $400 to the invoice to pay the courier which I was to pay to the courier when they arrived. I declined advising that paypal was the only acceptable form of payment & that I could only mail the bag to a verified address. If they wanted to send a courier then they should send the payment to their courier who could bring me the payment in cash. Needless to say I didn't hear from them afterwards. However, the next thing I see was that several charges from Fedex Dallas Texas showed up in my Paypal account of varying amounts. I was talking to my brother today and he told me that his roommate was trying to sell a Michael Kors bag and they wanted to add an extra $1000 to the invoice which she was to pay to the courier who would come to pick her bag.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:27 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,321,149 times
CC theft. Have had a number of on-line vendors apparently share my CC info with others who have charged me for merchandise which was not ordered, shipped, or received. I look over my CC statements each month and have seen some of these charges which I successfully contested.

As well, I've had a CC that I hadn't used in 6 years suddenly show up with an inquiry from the bank fraud department. Somebody tried using the CC account number to purchase computer supplies, high end clothing & shoes, and jewelry on the card. After years of not using the card (I'd gotten it exclusively to use for a fuel discount when I was traveling and the promo expired years ago), the fraud department caught the activity and declined the purchases. But they called me to verify that it wasn't me using the card.

Still another fraud attempt came on my AMEX card. Tried to purchase computer and video gear, high dollar running shoes, and a health club membership with it. All declined by AMEX, and they cancelled my card and sent me a new one. Don't know how the folks got my CC number, it's only used to pay my mobile phone service where it gets a discount on the activity or when I FEDEX a package.

Looking back on the last three years, I've had all but one CC replaced due to fraud activity. Now I make it a habit to report a card "lost" every year so that I get new CC account numbers and cards on each account every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products