Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 AM

1,285 posts, read 591,873 times

Advertisements

I bought an item online and they shipped the wrong item.
So i contacted the online store and they'll send the correct one.

However today, the same item is onsale on their website for almost half the price.
So i said i'd like to have the difference credited to my card.
They agreed, but this is contigent upon return of the 1st item they sent.

They arranged a UPS shipping label, however it requires a In-Store drop off.
The item is very heavy, like more than 50lbs and I'm not dragging that box to the UPS store.
I explained this to the customer service person and so they claimed to arrange a UPS pickup.
(they asked me to arrange this using the same UPS Tracking number provided on the shipping label)

However when i try to arrange a UPS pickup UPS want me to pay $10 for the service.
I protested this.
I shouldn't be out of pocket to arrange the wrong item gets sent back.
In my opinion the online store should pay this.

So hopefully today i'll speak to the manager.

What's your opinion?

Am I legally entitled to the sale price now that the item is on sale?

Is it reasonable of online store to expect me to pay a fee to send the wrong item back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 AM

I should have mentioned that the attitude of the customer service rep has been terrible.
It's really poisoned the experience.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
You'll live a more peaceful life if you don't get hung up on nickels and dimes. Pay the $10 for the pickup or take the item to the drop-off point. Asking you to bring it to the drop-off location is reasonable, you are wanting a service in excess of that.

Returns and costs of shipping are fairly common events. Some places do it better than others.

You do have a legal right to cancel your original order.
The business has a legal right to not sell to you unless they do that based upon race, religion, etc.

You are hot right now. In a couple years, all this will be a distant memory.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Return the item, pay the ten bucks, receive your new original item, if paid by credit card call them and contest the overcharge.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I'm at a different end in that I went to a large chain store to buy a item at shelf price ($249) and they are out but could purchase online. Great so I thought. Did a purchase and they were according to their advertising ship within 24 hrs. Great so I thought. They would charge me a nominal shipping land rate and also gave a nice discount price. Great so I thought. Their email to me said they would notify me of shipping etc. Great so I thought. Waited and waited for their shipping. So time goes by and check to find that they are BACK ORDERED and at the same time raise the price by $20 on their on line price but NO mention of OUT OF STOCK........so I CANCELLED.

Now I was connected to the Retail trade for 23 yrs and do know that shipping delays can happen but 23 days is a bit extreme for a large chain that advertises an item while at the same time raise their on line price while product is unavailable. Have not checked the local store but wonder if they have one the shelf.

Did some comparable chain ads and they specified "out of stock" on some items or "not available".

Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You'll live a more peaceful life if you don't get hung up on nickels and dimes. Pay the $10 for the pickup or take the item to the drop-off point. Asking you to bring it to the drop-off location is reasonable, you are wanting a service in excess of that.

Returns and costs of shipping are fairly common events. Some places do it better than others.
Yeah but this isn't a Return.
This is a screw up on their part.
They've shipped the wrong item to me.

I'd be willing to do the UPS In Store drop if the item was something small.
But this is a large and heavy box that requires 2 to lift.
So i'm not inclined to strain myself.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:02 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
and they aren't inclined to pay for your not straining yourself. Standoff. Choose your battles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products