Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,793,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
People really do believe their pets are people. They're not even called pets anymore. They're "animal companions." Or even "sons" and "daughters."
A former coworker of mine breeds dogs as a... side business (not sure if she's actually doing this legally) and she's always talking about her "fur babies." I gag a little every time I see or hear that phrase.

I love animals and have both cats and guinea pigs, but I certainly don't think of them as children and definitely don't believe that they should be allowed out in public except in designated areas. The only exception being service animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^^^ Do bratty kids slobber and spread germs? You never know what's on a dog. Food and dogs are a bad combination.

But we live in a nation that suffers from a dog delusion. These days many dog owners have elevated the mangy/filthy beasts to be as important or more important than family members. As people have fewer kids and delay having kids to later in life, dogs are treated like the "new" kids. Pathetic.

The Dog Delusion – TheHumanist.com
Yes, bratty kids slobber and spread germs. They can make a shopping errand extraordinarily unpleasant. I've left stores because of children. I don't tolerate their presence in restaurants. However, I've been in stores and restaurants, primarily in Europe, where dogs were well mannered dining companions.

You obviously hate dogs, perhaps all animals. Are you jealous of them? If you're not you should be. Neither dogs nor any other animals are filled with the rage and and wretchedness that overwhelms you. Dogs are happy just to have someone to love whether it be a human, another dog, a cat, another animal, or even a Teddy Bear.

My pets are my family, and what a family. Just watching them can make me smile and feel good. When my wife died my two dogs and my cat consoled me; they saved me. They understood. When my fifteen year old dog died in April of last year my younger one, ten at the time, was grief stricken. She still is. How many humans can unconditionally devote their lives to those they love?

Dogs and other animals are incapable of malice. Viewing this rationally, it indicates that they're morally superior to humans.

Have you ever watched a dog waiting until a cat has picked through his or her food for choice tidbits? Do you realize the love that this requires?

You've missed one life's real joys.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:25 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
There are a million and one issues more important than this, but I hope your rant made you feel better. :-)
Hey, that's what C-D is about; whining about life's petty annoyances one post at a time Why, I just complained about how my wife and I didn't get invited to her longtime friend's wedding.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,334,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Whilst shopping at Trader Joe's this afternoon, I saw somebody who was clearly not blind (no pun intended) and not experiencing PTSD, with a "service dog", shopping in the store. Such behavior is not appropriate. I do not care if somebody is sad, angry, tense, or afflicted with any other low level mental anguish -- we all have our problems and there's nothing so special about any person, with the exception of people who are blind or have been in combat, that they cannot walk about and shop in a store without their "service dog" -- the vast majority of people I've seen with service dogs were neither blind nor experiencing PTSD, and have probably been nowhere near any sort of war in the first place.

So could you people who payed a little fee for the little vest your dog wears simply knock it off (figuratively)? Like the rest of us, deal with life without the cutsie little dog, shedding its dog hair around food products. It's really uncivilized and nobody likes you people when you think you need your dog everywhere because your significant other got sick of your stuff and walked out on you or whatever exactly the little problem happens to be -- the rest of us deal with our problems and don't need a little dog with us 24 hours a day. Especially not in a grocery store. Thank you.
I hadn't been paying much attention, but it would seem to me if stores and other public places allow non-service dogs, then they should allow non-service other animals/pets, too.
What do you think would happen if I bought a baby sling for my cat and toted her around to stores, etc.?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I hadn't been paying much attention, but it would seem to me if stores and other public places allow non-service dogs, then they should allow non-service other animals/pets, too.
What do you think would happen if I bought a baby sling for my cat and toted her around to stores, etc.?
I think that would be great!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,581,441 times
Quote:
Whilst shopping at Trader Joe's this afternoon, I saw somebody who was clearly not blind (no pun intended) and not experiencing PTSD, with a "service dog", shopping in the store. Such behavior is not appropriate. I do not care if somebody is sad, angry, tense, or afflicted with any other low level mental anguish -- we all have our problems and there's nothing so special about any person, with the exception of people who are blind or have been in combat, that they cannot walk about and shop in a store without their "service dog" -- the vast majority of people I've seen with service dogs were neither blind nor experiencing PTSD, and have probably been nowhere near any sort of war in the first place.

So could you people who payed a little fee for the little vest your dog wears simply knock it off (figuratively)? Like the rest of us, deal with life without the cutsie little dog, shedding its dog hair around food products. It's really uncivilized and nobody likes you people when you think you need your dog everywhere because your significant other got sick of your stuff and walked out on you or whatever exactly the little problem happens to be -- the rest of us deal with our problems and don't need a little dog with us 24 hours a day. Especially not in a grocery store. Thank you.
Boy, you couldn't have made yourself look more completely, totally clueless if you tried. If you're going to launch yourself on such an epic, self-absorbed rant, you should at least take a few minutes to educate yourself on whatever subject it is that you think you're all steamed up about. Then you wouldn't have as many people pointing and laughing at you as there are. Or at least, maybe not quite as many.

First of all, you don't even know the difference between a service dog and a therapy (or support) animal. I won't bother explaining it to you; do your own googling. Second, you clearly don't know anything about the laws pertaining to service dogs, and since you don't know the difference between service dogs and therapy dogs, you don't know anything about the laws pertaining to therapy animals, either (hint - they're different. Again, do your own googling).

But best of all (or worst of all, depending in your point of view - I say best because it's the part that makes you look the most ignorant, so I thought it was the funniest part) in your disgusting and gleeful rush to ridicule genuinely disabled people, you raced right past the most important point - the people you're frothing at the mouth about are for the most part probably not disabled people at all, but just inconsiderate dog owners who are pretending to be disabled so they can take their yapping laprats to the store with them. If you knew anything about the topic that you're ranting about, you'd have been able to figure that for yourself, and I'd have been right there with you - because those people tick me off no end, too. But no... instead of taking a few minutes to make sure you knew what you're talking about, and identifying your target before opening fire, you fire off a string of personal insults at millions of disabled people who have absolutely nothing to do with what you're ranting about, have never done a thing to you in their lives, and frankly you're not fit to criticize.

So, absolutely epic fail all around - but thank you for the laugh. It's not often that someone makes themselves look so bad in so many different ways at once.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,089,215 times
I kind of feel the same way about children in stores and resturants. Please leave them in the car with the windows rolled up and doors locked for safety.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 3,759,436 times
Quote:

You have the right to ask that the owner of the dog leaves your store. This is true for any business establishment that you own. Any business owner can make rules about what pets are or are not allowed in their establishment.

Next time a dog shows up to the Trader Joe's you own, simply request that it be taken outside. Problem solved.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,040,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You have the right to ask that the owner of the dog leaves your store. This is true for any business establishment that you own. Any business owner can make rules about what pets are or are not allowed in their establishment.

Next time a dog shows up to the Trader Joe's you own, simply request that it be taken outside. Problem solved.

Hysterical laughter here. You claim to be a lawyer and you advise this person to violate the ADA and earn him/herself a nice fine.

If the owner of a business simply asks me to leave his/her store, I will create a scene and a record by calling the police. My dog is a service dog. Asking me to leave is a violation of my rights granted under the ADA.

The business owner can ask me what my dog does for me and one other question I will let you research to find out. The only time I and my dog can be asked to leave is if my dog is acting in a manner which is creating a problem. Again, for the specifics, let's see if this Texas lawyer can find out exactly what that means. After all, one of the skills a lawyer should have is researching the statutes.

It is not true in any state that "any business owner can make rules"....etc. So a butcher can decide it's ok to allow dogs? Really? There are rules that must be followed, such that would create a violation of health regulations. The same goes for rules that create an exception such as the ADA.

As a former paralegal, I find it incredible that you would give the above advice while using your "lawyer" handle. Unbelievable. No advice is better than bad advice.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:28 PM

30,158 posts, read 23,545,197 times
Quote:

As someone who has indeed suffered from PTSD, how in the h do you know when someone is "suffering" from PTSD?

You DON'T.

You are not a medical professional, keep your stereotypical thoughts about PTSD to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products