Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat
Whilst shopping at Trader Joe's this afternoon, I saw somebody who was clearly not blind (no pun intended) and not experiencing PTSD, with a "service dog", shopping in the store.
Why do you hate dogs so much??

Dogs are beautiful creatures and if someone feels safer with thier service dog,so be it!!!!!

Im frankly surprised however they would let a dog in if someone was able to see......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
My long held belief that dogs are better people than people has been substantiated once again.

On a serious note, it always amazes me as a person who has had brain surgery and has a brain disease (MS), how some people think they can get the measure of a man with just a glance at the grocery store.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
I'd rather see dogs than screaming, running, crying children ANY DAY.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I agree. The concept of an "emotional support animal" is completely bogus. A lie.

Dog owners are a selfish brats. I see them violating the law all the time. In Santa Monica, dogs are supposed to be kept on leashes at all times, yet they violate this law. And the cops do nothing.

I see these selfish brats bring their dogs into Vons and Whole Foods and Starbucks. Usually these dogs are little "toy dogs," more a kind of rat-dog.

If you're so emotionally crippled that you need a little rat-dog with you at all times, then you belong in a straight jacket. People that emotionally/mentally crippled should not be let loose on the streets.

And if you're not that emotionally crippled, then the dog is a lie. You're just a selfish brat (usually a woman) who WANTS what she WANTS, and so you buy a bogus vest and badge, or get some therapist to lie for you.

Unfortunately, the dog owners lobby is powerful. They pressure legislators to pass laws allowing them to bring their rat-dogs onto planes and into stores.

What in the world?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:40 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I'd rather see dogs than screaming, running, crying children ANY DAY.
Totally agree!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
My long held belief that dogs are better people than people has been substantiated once again.

On a serious note, it always amazes me as a person who has had brain surgery and has a brain disease (MS), how some people think they can get the measure of a man with just a glance at the grocery store.
Love this sign from a hotel:

Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
lOVE THE SIGN. I remember one like it in a hotel we stayed in in CA years ago.

I know this is an old post and I might have missed something but I didn't see anyone point out that it is not just the blind that need service dogs (LEGITMATE ones, not emotional support animals) and not just large to medium breeds that can be service animals.

A few examples of legitimate service dogs: For the deaf, seizure alert, blood sugar alert (for diabetics), heart alert (for someone with a serious heart condition), etc.

"
Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.
Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office" Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
I use to work in a store, and was told not to let anyone in with dogs unless they were service animals, because it was against state health code rules and the Health department could fine stores if they allowed pets (because we sold food).
I love animals so it was sometimes hard...but rules are rules I suppose, and I can kind of see their point.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Quote:
but rules are rules I suppose, and I can kind of see their point

I think this was the point of the original post. Indeed, grocery stores, like any other place making and selling food, are obligated to do so in a clean environment, and the health department will (and has) shut down places for violations involving dogs (and a few other pets, but mostly dogs) in close proximity to food prep areas. It's not about "hating" dogs. I find it hilarious when someone chimes in with "how could you hate dogs so much?" or some-such, because it's not about loving or hating--it's about observing the LAWS. Those who want to bring their pet into such a restricted space ought to be asked "Why do you hate our business so much?", because they're putting the managers in an untenable position between a rock (the law) and a hard place (customer service).

A restaurant manager-friend of mine typically will ask if it's a service animal, and if the owner says yes, they will then ask out of curiosity what service it performs (which is much more diplomatic than "Well, what's wrong with you?" ). This allows everyone the opportunity to observe whether this 'service' is actually being performed if it is needed to be performed. It also gives the more flagrant violators a chance to dig the hole a bit deeper, because they typically don't have a rehearsed answer for that one. I actually mentioned this thread to him a while back and he agreed that it's an epidemic of "selfishness" on the part of owners and very, VERY few people in our area really have a service animal that they need to have at their side 24/7.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
In Seattle, dogs are treated with nearly equal rights as people. I'd rather a lovable dog be in a Trader Joes than an annoying, crying human brat child.
+1

came here to say this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products