U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:34 PM

66 posts, read 85,508 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, I love dogs, have one of my own. However, I agree, people who take dogs into restaurants or food stores are selfish and are only thinking of themselves. No one else who may be offended by their bringing a dog into a food place matters. It's all about them and what "THEY" want, who cares about the other people who don't like dogs or don't want them around while they are eating or purchasing food. Mind you, a lady thought it was fine to bring a boa constrictor around her neck into the store while she shopped one day. Needless to say, almost 100% of the people were uncomfortable. Did she care? Of course not! To hell with everyone else!! "It's all about me" is the mentality in this self-centered world! So, there....my 2 cents!! (Service dogs excluded from the above comments).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:36 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,913,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterease View Post
With all due respect, I love dogs, have one of my own. However, I agree, people who take dogs into restaurants or food stores are selfish and are only thinking of themselves. No one else who may be offended by their bringing a dog into a food place matters. It's all about them and what "THEY" want, who cares about the other people who don't like dogs or don't want them around while they are eating or purchasing food. Mind you, a lady thought it was fine to bring a boa constrictor around her neck into the store while she shopped one day. Needless to say, almost 100% of the people were uncomfortable. Did she care? Of course not! To hell with everyone else!! "It's all about me" is the mentality in this self-centered world! So, there....my 2 cents!! (Service dogs excluded from the above comments).
How selfish mothers are to go out to public with babies who cry and create a fuss. People should be less selfish and leave children at home with their mother or father.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 2,280,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
How selfish mothers are to go out to public with babies who cry and create a fuss. People should be less selfish and leave children at home with their mother or father.
Um, I can't stand children in public who won't behave, but this is a legal issue around sanitation that applies to animals in public areas where food is prepared and served; human babies making noise is something different. Maybe self-centered dog owners who can't follow the law should be fined instead of the food establishment.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:16 PM

31,083 posts, read 34,144,063 times
I love my pets (cats) but would NEVER assume that everyone else would love them too so I keep them home. With a dog it's fine to take them out to walk, run, socialize with other dogs at a park, etc. and we've all come to expect that and accept it. It's normal and ok. Even at some businesses that cater it's ok. But when most of us are going about our business inside stores, restaurants, dentist offices, and whatnot we do not expect that and don't necessarily want to accommodate or be distracted by a dog.

This issue isn't going to go away, the lines are clearly drawn, so you are either going to take the path of "I do what I want" and be considered a dick by half the population or keep within the expected and accepted practices.

It's getting easier to spot the dicks in this world and for the life of me I don't know why that's what people aspire to be.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,042,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I agree.

If you choose to have a baby, you're obligated to change your lifestyles. You don't get to do everything you normally did. You made a choice, now be an adult and accept the consequences.

It's not fair of parents to inflict their screaming baby onto other people.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,042,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
HOW DARE YOU decide ... blah, blah, blah.
I dare very easily.

Actually, I know all about service dogs for deaf people, and I had placed them in the same category as dogs for blind people. But now my sympathy for you evaporates.

I would have sympathized with you. But instead of politely explaining your situation, you immediately reached for the OUTRAGE CARD.

Well, now I can't sympathize with you, because I suffer from OUTRAGE FATIGUE.

I am so sick of every group immediately becoming OUTRAGED the instant anyone criticizes or disagrees with them. Or even just fails to loudly celebrate their every utterance. No polite disagreement. Immediate, nuclear, A-bomb outrage.

Every racial, religious, and ethnic group is in a state of perpetual outrage.

Every handicapped group is outraged.

Every sexual orientation is outraged.

The breast-feeders are outraged because they're asked to be discreet and take it elsewhere.

Cyclists are outraged because not every square inch of street and sidewalk is reserved exclusively for them.

Dog and cat owners are outraged because some people deny their pets' "humanity."

Even ferret owners are outraged. One Libertarian ferret owner made ferret ownership his core campaign issue when he ran for Lieutenant Governor several years ago.

PETA is outraged because gorillas are denied copyright for their selfies (seriously -- PETA sues to give monkey the copyright of selfie photos ).

Non-smokers are outraged because even a slight WHIFF of second-hand smoke is MURDER.

Pot-smokers are outraged because denying them "medical marijuana" is MURDER. (It's astonishing the vast numbers of twentysomething youth who suffer from glaucoma.)

And THE CHILDREN. Omigod, all the outrage that parents have over their CHILDREN. Every negative life experience -- a bad grade, failure to make the team, failure to win a trophy, failure to get a scholarship, failure of the world to recognize their CHILDREN for being precious snowflakes -- is cause for parental outrage.

So while I might have sympathized with you -- your outrage has caused any potential sympathy to evaporate. Now I BOLDLY DARE to not sympathize with you and your damn service dog. I DARE, I DARE, I DARE.

You are outraged? Okay, but you must first take a number. It's a very long line.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 AM

360 posts, read 552,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Dog owners are a selfish brats. I see them violating the law all the time. In Santa Monica, dogs are supposed to be kept on leashes at all times, yet they violate this law. And the cops do nothing.
I'm in Santa Monica and let my dog off leash every night at the park when no one is there. I get a off-leash ticket a few times a year, so ya... the cops do something about it.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM

275 posts, read 257,548 times
Quote:
I read an article by a woman who began by referring to her cat as "my son."

She paused to tell readers not to bother with angry emails, or try to argue with her, repeating, "He is my son."

I like cats, as one can tell by my handle. But I would never consider a cat to be my son or daughter, or brother or sister.

I once actually saw a woman pushing a baby stroller -- with a dog inside. Looked like a perfectly healthy dog. One capable of walking. Just sitting in the stroller, smiling, going for a ride.

I've seen the oddest pet items for sale. I've seen doggie yarmulkes: Dog & Cat Yarmulke & Tallis

People really do believe their pets are people. They're not even called pets anymore. They're "animal companions." Or even "sons" and "daughters."
Lol, one of my college professors showed us a picture of her taking a walk with her dogs in a stroller.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
Last time I saw a dog in the grocery store the owner had it on a leash and was letting it sniff everyone's behind as they went up and down the aisle, then it lifted its leg at one of the displays. Reasons why dogs should not be allowed in the stores. Oh and at the meat counter putting paws upon the counter sniffing.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 AM

10,559 posts, read 5,807,487 times
Quote:
........I like cats, as one can tell by my handle. But I would never consider a cat to be my son or daughter, or brother or sister.
People really do believe their pets are people. They're not even called pets anymore. They're "animal companions." Or even "sons" and "daughters."
Actually, it goes the other way around. They consider us one of them.

The thing about pets is that often, they are more loving, more trustworthy than a lot of humans. Now, whether that makes some children or animal companions or not is perhaps debatable.......but it does make them more than just pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
I can't stand this either. When did it become socially acceptable to drag your mangy pet everywhere you go. And when did "pet parent" become acceptable nomenclature? Pet parent?! Really, tell me again how that thing dropped out of your uterus.
Then, by that logic, one could argue that those who adopt are not parents either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products