U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 PM

28,048 posts, read 16,329,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good grief, is it so hard to have a tiny bit of compassion for people who are struggling?
Yes but as I've said, many do take advantage of it as all they need to do is say medical or service animal and in many cases, you have to take them at their word, even through deception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 PM

617 posts, read 469,397 times
I never understood why people take their pets in stores either..i mean what if the dog takes a dump or pees in there? its not very sanitary....people keep your pets at home when you shop..sometimes its so creepy how attached people are to their dogs....

Old 10-31-2015, 02:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 3,202,100 times
A local radio talk host had a rant a few months ago on that very "what if", only it had actually occurred in front of him. He was in a Publix and saw some woman hauling her dog around in her cart. The dog peed in the cart (it obviously went all over the floor) and the woman simply picked up her dog---and walked away. The host was more angry about her leaving the mess (cart and puddle) right there in the aisle rather than alerting someone in the store as to what had happened. HE alerted an employee and the employee had to clean it up. A caller then added that apparently Publix got sued a few years back by someone who got their feelings hurt when a manager confronted them about bringing their service dog in without the vest on, so word came down to all Publixes that they were NOT to say anything to customers no matter what they brought in. Thus complaining to the manager might not have gotten anywhere.

I'll just carry my groceries, thanks.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM

270 posts, read 141,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Whilst shopping at Trader Joe's this afternoon, I saw somebody who was clearly not blind (no pun intended) and not experiencing PTSD, with a "service dog", shopping in the store. Such behavior is not appropriate. I do not care if somebody is sad, angry, tense, or afflicted with any other low level mental anguish -- we all have our problems and there's nothing so special about any person, with the exception of people who are blind or have been in combat, that they cannot walk about and shop in a store without their "service dog" -- the vast majority of people I've seen with service dogs were neither blind nor experiencing PTSD, and have probably been nowhere near any sort of war in the first place.

So could you people who payed a little fee for the little vest your dog wears simply knock it off (figuratively)? Like the rest of us, deal with life without the cutsie little dog, shedding its dog hair around food products. It's really uncivilized and nobody likes you people when you think you need your dog everywhere because your significant other got sick of your stuff and walked out on you or whatever exactly the little problem happens to be -- the rest of us deal with our problems and don't need a little dog with us 24 hours a day. Especially not in a grocery store. Thank you.
They use service dogs to predict seizures or blood sugar for people with epelepsy or type1 diabetes.

Yes, most those service animals are BS, but some are legit. I would just go about minding your own business. Your liberal rant in regards to telling people how to live is uneccesary.

Freedom isn't free buddy. Love it or leave it!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 3,202,100 times
But the irresponsible pet owners seem to think they have the "freedom" to do as they wish, and in fact ignore the law in many cases. Telling people to obey the law isn't a "liberal rant telling people how to live"--it's urging people to preserve law and order. By your characterization, the Constitution is a liberal rant, telling people how to live. Looking the other way while laws are broken (no matter how minor) is a slippery slope. Allowing people to ignore laws they don't like is...well, a recipe for chaos.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:50 AM

270 posts, read 141,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
But the irresponsible pet owners seem to think they have the "freedom" to do as they wish, and in fact ignore the law in many cases. Telling people to obey the law isn't a "liberal rant telling people how to live"--it's urging people to preserve law and order. By your characterization, the Constitution is a liberal rant, telling people how to live. Looking the other way while laws are broken (no matter how minor) is a slippery slope. Allowing people to ignore laws they don't like is...well, a recipe for chaos.
You people just seem to never be satisfied without making new laws. AMIRITE?

With that type of attitude, my suggestion would be to relocate to China. This country and its dogs deserve better than you. It's because of your leftish nonsense that law abiding canines are striped of their god given rights.

Shame on you and everything you stand for liberal

Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM

1,690 posts, read 687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Hysterical laughter here. You claim to be a lawyer and you advise this person to violate the ADA and earn him/herself a nice fine.

If the owner of a business simply asks me to leave his/her store, I will create a scene and a record by calling the police. My dog is a service dog. Asking me to leave is a violation of my rights granted under the ADA.

The business owner can ask me what my dog does for me and one other question I will let you research to find out. The only time I and my dog can be asked to leave is if my dog is acting in a manner which is creating a problem. Again, for the specifics, let's see if this Texas lawyer can find out exactly what that means. After all, one of the skills a lawyer should have is researching the statutes.

It is not true in any state that "any business owner can make rules"....etc. So a butcher can decide it's ok to allow dogs? Really? There are rules that must be followed, such that would create a violation of health regulations. The same goes for rules that create an exception such as the ADA.

As a former paralegal, I find it incredible that you would give the above advice while using your "lawyer" handle. Unbelievable. No advice is better than bad advice.
Hilarious, but guide dogs and other assisting animals are not classified as pets. Perhaps this is indicative of why you were simply a paralegal. You always had lawyers to catch your mistakes.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,346,243 times
Florida has recently enacted statutory provisions to address phony service animals. It is a second degree misdemeanor (see below) to to do so. I have not read through this entire thread. There are people out there taking their "pets" to places of public accommodation under the guise of being service animals.

Fla. Stat. 413.08 provides in part:

(d) “Service animal” means an animal that is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work done or tasks performed must be directly related to the individual’s disability and may include, but are not limited to, guiding an individual who is visually impaired or blind, alerting an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting an individual who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, alerting an individual to the presence of allergens, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to an individual with a mobility disability, helping an individual with a psychiatric or neurological disability by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors, reminding an individual with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming an individual with posttraumatic stress disorder during an anxiety attack, or doing other specific work or performing other special tasks. A service animal is not a pet. For purposes of subsections (2), (3), and (4), the term “service animal” is limited to a dog or miniature horse. The crime-deterrent effect of an animal’s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for purposes of this definition.

(9) A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents herself or himself, through conduct or verbal or written notice, as using a service animal and being qualified to use a service animal or as a trainer of a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083 and must perform 30 hours of community service for an organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for another entity or organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more than 6 months.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:27 AM

12,415 posts, read 18,374,126 times
If dogs are allowed so should any other animals. A pet is a pet.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 AM

1,690 posts, read 687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If dogs are allowed so should any other animals. A pet is a pet.
It's up to the owner of the grocery store. Laws do not protect animals from discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products