Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this trend but I agree it's usually people that don't even have the service dog vest. It seems this trend has increased in recent years. I don't know what the official policy is . But I often see dogs at Target and in malls.

Some people are so attached to their pets that they don't view them as animals .
People should follow the store rules if the store only allows service animals .

I know what you mean though as had a family friend that tried to claim her dog was a service animal but I don't think she even had a vest for it and the supermarket told her she needed to leave . Some people think the rules don't apply to them though unfortunately .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:46 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I prefer that people not bring pets into the store, but in answer to your question: Yes. Even nice kids do. They cough and sneeze; they wipe their noses, they put their hands in their mouths - and they touch stuff. They touch the cart (even with their mouths), and they touch the merchandise. Also, parents bring sick children into the store.

I have never seen a dog touch the merchandise, and I've never seen an obviously sick dog in the store.
Yes, and not to mention the fact that you are actually susceptible to catching a cold or the flu or a stomach virus from the sick child who is shedding pathogens that affect humans. What dog disease do you fear you are going to catch--distemper?

On the one hand I believe people should obey the rules, and not bring a dog where it is not allowed. On the other, a quiet well-behaved dog does not bother me in the slightest. So what if there are a few dog hairs here or there? What about the human hairs, and the insect parts? (Have you ever researched the acceptable level of insect parts or rodent hairs in food?) Getting hysterical because you believe dogs are "insanitary" is a waste of time. The world is not a sterile place.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Just because someone looks healthy doesn't mean that they are. The only service dog I'm in regular contact with belongs to someone who looks like a healthy woman in her early 20s. What you don't see is that she was on dialysis for 5 years and had a kidney transplant several years ago. She is diabetic as a result of the steroids she has to take and has severe panic attacks as a result of the medications she is currently on. To top it off, she also has seizures. Her service dog is trained to detect low blood sugar or an oncoming seizure. But she "looks perfectly healthy."

Honestly, dogs bother me a lot less than people in the grocery store. And I'm not even talking about the miniature humans. The grown-ups are downright nasty on their own - especially during cold and flu season!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I read an article by a woman who began by referring to her cat as "my son." She paused to tell readers not to bother with angry emails, or try to argue with her, repeating, "He is my son."
That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Quote:
I once actually saw a woman pushing a baby stroller -- with a dog inside.
We have a neighbor who does this also.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:40 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I prefer that people not bring pets into the store, but in answer to your question: Yes. Even nice kids do. They cough and sneeze; they wipe their noses, they put their hands in their mouths - and they touch stuff. They touch the cart (even with their mouths), and they touch the merchandise. Also, parents bring sick children into the store.

I have never seen a dog touch the merchandise, and I've never seen an obviously sick dog in the store.
You are proving my point by equating dogs as basically the equivalent as humans. The fact is dogs in grocery stores or restaurants are a far greater health risk than humans.

The Food and Drug Administration's food guide lays down common sense rules: with few exceptions, live animals of any kind are not permitted on the premises of a grocery store, a restaurant or other food establishment. The prohibition applies to dogs, cats, birds and other animals. Animals are unsanitary, and the law protects the national food supply from contamination from dog drool, urine, feces and other material that dogs carry on their coats and paws and might leave behind on store shelves or counters.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:06 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
In a 2011 study, 72% of shopping cart handles were contaminated with human fecal bacteria. 50% were found to be carrying E. coli:

E. coli found on 50 percent of shopping carts - Health - Children's health | NBC News

Clearly, people do not belong in grocery stores. Let's keep those filthy humans out of our food supply!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

I see these selfish brats bring their dogs into Vons and Whole Foods and Starbucks. Usually these dogs are little "toy dogs," more a kind of rat-dog.

If you're so emotionally crippled that you need a little rat-dog with you at all times, then you belong in a straight jacket. People that emotionally/mentally crippled should not be let loose on the streets.

And if you're not that emotionally crippled, then the dog is a lie. You're just a selfish brat (usually a woman) who WANTS what she WANTS, and so you buy a bogus vest and badge, or get some therapist to lie for you.

Unfortunately, the dog owners lobby is powerful. They pressure legislators to pass laws allowing them to bring their rat-dogs onto planes and into stores.
I get your argument, but don't you think substituting 'rat dog' for 'child' and 'dog owner' for 'parent' is just a little bit extreme?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:12 PM

176 posts, read 202,292 times
I can't stand this either. When did it become socially acceptable to drag your mangy pet everywhere you go. And when did "pet parent" become acceptable nomenclature? Pet parent?! Really, tell me again how that thing dropped out of your uterus.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:15 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
I can't stand this either. When did it become socially acceptable to drag your mangy pet everywhere you go. And when did "pet parent" become acceptable nomenclature? Pet parent?! Really, tell me again how that thing dropped out of your uterus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyQPLpJbx0

Old 09-26-2015, 04:16 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In a 2011 study, 72% of shopping cart handles were contaminated with human fecal bacteria. 50% were found to be carrying E. coli:

E. coli found on 50 percent of shopping carts - Health - Children's health | NBC News

Clearly, people do not belong in grocery stores. Let's keep those filthy humans out of our food supply!
Seriously, a lot of ignorance is being spewed in this thread. Humans, especially snotty, coughing little kids, carry a slew of bacteria. Dogs don't usually carry anything that would get a human sick. People are a lot better off in a store full of dogs than a store full of virus-carrying, human germ-sacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products