Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 PM

133 posts, read 219,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yeah, just wait I would buy snacks for them that should last for 7 days. In 3 days they were pretty much gone due to friends hanging out here. I guess you have to decide if it's in or out of your budget. I'd rather have the kids at my house so was fine with feeding other kids - within reason. I quickly learned how to be more frugal. No more bringing home sushi for dinner and thinking I'd have leftovers for lunch next day

Sounds like your creative juices are flowing....I'd keep moving in that direction and develop a whole new menu plan
We are trying new items and mixing up the menu. I know what you mean on running out before the week is out. I think boys tend to sweat more than girls. More sweat more thirst more thirst a drinks speeds up the metabolism to snack more. But it seems to me the girls eat smaller portions on everything. This maybe a case of male vs. female. Maybe it would be different if I lived on a farm but then the cost of operation of the farm would bite me then and the kids would have plenty to eat .....Sighing..........Sighing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,514,264 times
This is a great blog if you're looking for budget-friendly recipes and tips on how to be a frugal shopper/cook - she provides step-by-step photos of her recipes, a cost breakdown of each recipe (constrained by the prices where she lives, of course- but still helpful), and a print button to print them directly from the site. Even if you don't make her recipes, there are tons of great ideas that might inspire you.

Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

I made her meatballs last night and they were awesome (used canned sauce instead of making her sauce recipe though): http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/09/s...-and-marinara/

Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is a great blog if you're looking for budget-friendly recipes and tips on how to be a frugal shopper/cook - she provides step-by-step photos of her recipes, a cost breakdown of each recipe (constrained by the prices where she lives, of course- but still helpful), and a print button to print them directly from the site. Even if you don't make her recipes, there are tons of great ideas that might inspire you.

Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

I made her meatballs last night and they were awesome (used canned sauce instead of making her sauce recipe though): Skillet Meatballs and Marinara - Budget Bytes
I waited for a few minutes for the site to come up, but nothing. Maybe tech difficulties or something. I would say the best homemade meatballs were from a small deli shop inside of the YMCA on Augusta- near Galleria area here in Houston. I used to work there and would eat there daily- just sauce and meatballs in a cup
size bowl. Daily no- noodles!! I would alternate with fresh steamed spinach same cup size- no seasonings. It was really really good.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 PM

590 posts, read 711,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I don't know about you but, I can't fill up my pantry anymore. I use to be able to shop for a lot of groceries - like 2- 3years ago. But here lately it's been very hollow and empty with few canned goods and a loaf of bread. I mean, I grew up looking into the pantry as a kid with stacked shelves of all sorts of interesting products. To a fat kid this was beautiful to me- lol. So, I'm a Mother now with growing children in the house and it's hard to keep food in the house yet I'm spending more money on food. I would love to grow my own veggies in the back yard but I'm in a neighborhood that sometimes has strict water usage. I would love to re- live the days when you could fill up the pantry with "good" products again. These days the packages are getting smaller and the prices are still going up. Any thoughts of how much money should a family spend to eat 3 meals a day and a snack at least??? What do you buy- honestly? When I'm in the store shopping and try to shop cheap- I get looks from others passing by. . .WTH. . .I'm trying to budget but as soon as I reach for a pack of Ramen noodles or cans of tuna - everyone acts as if I broke a rule. This is crazy!

I'm sorry but I would find a way to circumvent this for growing a growing a garden....Water at the wee hours in the morning when everyone is asleep. You can find timers that are battery operated that screw right onto your water spigot and then your garden hose screws onto them. There are sprinklers that dont shoot the water up high and are quiet.....unless your in SoCal..I say screw it and water anyways.........

Old 10-03-2015, 06:53 AM

I was looking through old sales papers in a stack that accumulates in a basket near the kitchen and noticed the dates on the sales papers were mainly dated on non- common paydays ex: dates were from the 8th through - 12th or 19th through the 23rd. My paydays are the 1st and the 15th of the month. Some people may be paid differently but most common the same as mine. This seems like a gimmick in it's self to seem to have good prices that only a few select people can typically use in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I'm sorry but I would find a way to circumvent this for growing a growing a garden....Water at the wee hours in the morning when everyone is asleep. You can find timers that are battery operated that screw right onto your water spigot and then your garden hose screws onto them. There are sprinklers that dont shoot the water up high and are quiet.....unless your in SoCal..I say screw it and water anyways.........
I would agree but the meter doesn't lie. My neighbor was fined twice in one month. I think it is where I live honestly. I am planning to relocate soon but it's taking a while to select a location. everyone is watched here. Seen the deed enforcement guy with a pole with a mirror attached to it- slide over the neighbors gate to write the up for invasive produce and plants.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,743,200 times
Quote:
I was looking through old sales papers in a stack that accumulates in a basket near the kitchen and noticed the dates on the sales papers were mainly dated on non- common paydays ex: dates were from the 8th through - 12th or 19th through the 23rd. My paydays are the 1st and the 15th of the month. Some people may be paid differently but most common the same as mine. This seems like a gimmick in it's self to seem to have good prices that only a few select people can typically use in my opinion.
So when you are paid on the first, do not spend the entire food budget then. Buy just enough to get buy until the sale starts. THEN buy the bulk once the sale starts. Same with the 15. Get paid the 15th, but don't do the bulk of the grocery shopping until the 19th.

Nothing says you must spend the money on the same day you get paid.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So when you are paid on the first, do not spend the entire food budget then. Buy just enough to get buy until the sale starts. THEN buy the bulk once the sale starts. Same with the 15. Get paid the 15th, but don't do the bulk of the grocery shopping until the 19th.

Nothing says you must spend the money on the same day you get paid.
If the loophole could ever stop!! think I will just eat fast food once I get paid then run from store to store to store to catch the sales the week they run.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 PM

94 posts, read 92,181 times
Quote:
I don't know about you but, I can't fill up my pantry anymore. I use to be able to shop for a lot of groceries - like 2- 3years ago. But here lately it's been very hollow and empty with few canned goods and a loaf of bread. I mean, I grew up looking into the pantry as a kid with stacked shelves of all sorts of interesting products. To a fat kid this was beautiful to me- lol. So, I'm a Mother now with growing children in the house and it's hard to keep food in the house yet I'm spending more money on food. I would love to grow my own veggies in the back yard but I'm in a neighborhood that sometimes has strict water usage. I would love to re- live the days when you could fill up the pantry with "good" products again. These days the packages are getting smaller and the prices are still going up. Any thoughts of how much money should a family spend to eat 3 meals a day and a snack at least??? What do you buy- honestly? When I'm in the store shopping and try to shop cheap- I get looks from others passing by. . .WTH. . .I'm trying to budget but as soon as I reach for a pack of Ramen noodles or cans of tuna - everyone acts as if I broke a rule. This is crazy!

You could shop at Aldi. It's definitely cheaper than Walmart and also offers better quality.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,573,658 times
OP, I can relate. The cost of groceries that won't make me fat is almost getting out of reach.

Here's some things that I'm doing:

1. I plan my meals each week to take advantage of what's in season. Right now, pork is coming down (in Iowa), and it's cheaper than beef or chicken. The fall harvest is in, so things like apples, squash, sweet potatoes, are somewhat affordable.

Pork is quite fattening, so I don't want to eat much of it. It's a good time to make veggie casseroles with just a little pork for flavor.

2. I ask if I can clean up yards that have apple trees and keep the apples. Some elderly have fruit trees in their yards that they aren't harvesting. I've gotten a lot of free fruit that way. I can it, dehydrate it, make it into pies, or otherwise store it.

3. I'm eating less overall, but filling up on water and fiber (apples). That's not a good strategy for your children, but as an adult, you might be able to get by with less food. Maybe not -- just something to consider. I can have a free apple and a tall glass of (free) herb tea for a snack. That saves money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products