U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM

133 posts, read 133,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Another mystery. You buy tremendous amounts of food every week, but freeze pot roasts for months? Maybe it would save money for you to eat from your freezer before buying fresh?
Not sure if you have been reading the whole thread or not but this roast was among older empty containers that I sometimes leave in the freezer as décor or illusion that my freezer still has something in it. So, yes when I noticed it was browning from the start it was sooner than this two months- so I didn't bother with it just left it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Best Advice....Hedgehog_Mom, hhwtm, bpollen, Gerania, Tamara Savannah and Utopian Slums. I have taken notes of wonderful ideas from all post as all of them are helpful. Even the negative comments have their place in the world. Hedgehog Mom- best advice since sliced bread... Thanks

Last edited by kalfur; 09-28-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,140,199 times
We are having to tighten our budget again so for this week I am trying to use up leftover pasta sauce, and I found some old red lentils in a package/ I looked and there is some old dough mix in there. So I will make Dal and rice for 2 nights of dinner with a green veggie on the side. I also defrosted some ground meat so I will probably either make hamburgers or turn that into some kind of casserole with pasta. Then I am going to make a small pizza with the sauce and leftover dough mix.

We will probably eat Ramen's one night and veggie burgers another, maybe a sandwich.

i am going to try and cook beans, lentils or similar things from scratch again for awhile to save money.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
We are having to tighten our budget again so for this week I am trying to use up leftover pasta sauce, and I found some old red lentils in a package/ I looked and there is some old dough mix in there. So I will make Dal and rice for 2 nights of dinner with a green veggie on the side. I also defrosted some ground meat so I will probably either make hamburgers or turn that into some kind of casserole with pasta. Then I am going to make a small pizza with the sauce and leftover dough mix.

We will probably eat Ramen's one night and veggie burgers another, maybe a sandwich.

i am going to try and cook beans, lentils or similar things from scratch again for awhile to save money.
That's sounds good. We eat hamburger's as well, it's a favorite for the boy's. Have you ever tried making your own pizza? I tried it , but couldn't get the sauce right for taste the first time. the second attempt it was better because I used a ready made pizza sauce. I try many of things but kids are kids, like it or not they won't eat it and it does go to waste. I can't force them to eat it!! I can very well do lentils and beans for me and my daughter and fix them something different if they do not like it. It's worth a try. Thanks for mentioning the ramen one night a week, it cut's the budget also.

Last edited by kalfur; 09-28-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,254,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
That's sounds good. We eat hamburger's as well, it's a favorite for the boy's. Have you ever tried making your own pizza? I tried it , but couldn't get the sauce right for taste the first time. the second attempt it was better because I used a ready made pizza sauce. I try many of things but kids are kids, like it or not they won't eat it and it does goes to waste. I can't force them to eat it!! I can very well do lentils and beans for me and my daughter and fix them something different if they do not like it. It's worth a try. Thanks for mentioning the ramen one night a week, it cut's the budget also.
My kids were taught, if it landed on the table, it got eaten. Period.

Now, if they seriously didn't like it after it was eaten, they were taught the way to approach it was, "That was not my favorite, please don't make it again." The issue might be discussed as to what they didn't like about it (too spicy, too salty, too greasy..etc), and the dish might appear a different time with the adjustment. If it was something that no matter what they truly didn't want to repeat as a supper, that adjustment was also made.

Sometimes that dish may become a side dish that in the future they could choose to try again, but we would not force them to eat it after the attempted adjustment. They knew they would never get in trouble for bringing it up after a meal, and they also knew we valued their input. But....they had to eat it completely at least the first time. NO exceptions. And no substitutions either.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,432,090 times
OP - I agree, the posters you mentioned gave you great advice! I do want to let you know you aren't alone in wondering what the feed hungry boys - especially teenagers What I've found is that they tend to want to eat every couple of hours. I would encourage them to eat string cheese, PBJ sandwiches, sliced apple with PB, or raw veg or grain crackers with humus. Or, make them a smoothie with yogurt, banana or strawberries and protein powder. You could also made a few small torilla rollup sandwich each day and keep in the fridge for snack time. These can be wheat or white tortilla, full fat cream cheese, and a slice of meat and strips of veg - celery, cucumber, carrots, whatever veg they eat. I found this helpful when I had to work late or the kids couldn't wait.

it does sound like you are going to old standbys for meals - meat and potato. I would do some online recipe searches for cheap healthy meal, or meals with bulk and would write a monthly menu plan and buy your groceries based on this. And I would do less meat meals. There is info out there to say we eat too much meat - too frequently and portions. You could do breakfast for dinner one a week. I did that when my kids were younger, they loved it! Stir fry meals are cheap to make and go a long way. I used Costco premium veg (frozen) and it's awesome. Use brown rice. And buy from an international store as someone mentioned. If you have a Big Lots store, they have super cheap bags of brown rice and other staples. You could stock up.

You could also make your own pasta, chicken, or tuna salad from scratch. This can be used for sub night. Fish tostado or taco is another cheap eat you can make. And, now the fall is here, how about crockpot cooking? Loads of easy recipes that cheapish.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 AM

38,016 posts, read 46,827,936 times
Just a few thoughts after reading through the posts...
I would never buy nuts or dried fruits for snacks. These things are much too expensive. I only buy walnuts and pecans for holiday baking and keep them in the freezer. A big bag of each lasts almost all year.

I belong to Sam's Club, and there are certain things I always buy there. I do not buy large quantities of anything, because there are only two of us and I don't have a lot of storage space. There are instances where other store specials are cheaper than Sam's Club, so I pay attention to that. Things I buy there are coffee beans, cage free eggs, muesli and breakfast bars, bags of limes, heirloom cherry tomatoes, ground beef, frozen scallops, and a few other meats. It would be possible to totally blow the budget there, and they are hoping we all will respond to the flash and tingle of everything they have on display.
We have 3 grocery stores nearby; Publix, Food Lion and BiLo. In any given week, I shop the sales at all of them. I keep 1# T-bones or rib steaks in the freezer (DH and I split one). So the steaks are my target. Which ever store has the best sale is the one where I do the major shopping that week.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
OP - I agree, the posters you mentioned gave you great advice! I do want to let you know you aren't alone in wondering what the feed hungry boys - especially teenagers What I've found is that they tend to want to eat every couple of hours. I would encourage them to eat string cheese, PBJ sandwiches, sliced apple with PB, or raw veg or grain crackers with humus. Or, make them a smoothie with yogurt, banana or strawberries and protein powder. You could also made a few small torilla rollup sandwich each day and keep in the fridge for snack time. These can be wheat or white tortilla, full fat cream cheese, and a slice of meat and strips of veg - celery, cucumber, carrots, whatever veg they eat. I found this helpful when I had to work late or the kids couldn't wait.

it does sound like you are going to old standbys for meals - meat and potato. I would do some online recipe searches for cheap healthy meal, or meals with bulk and would write a monthly menu plan and buy your groceries based on this. And I would do less meat meals. There is info out there to say we eat too much meat - too frequently and portions. You could do breakfast for dinner one a week. I did that when my kids were younger, they loved it! Stir fry meals are cheap to make and go a long way. I used Costco premium veg (frozen) and it's awesome. Use brown rice. And buy from an international store as someone mentioned. If you have a Big Lots store, they have super cheap bags of brown rice and other staples. You could stock up.

You could also make your own pasta, chicken, or tuna salad from scratch. This can be used for sub night. Fish tostado or taco is another cheap eat you can make. And, now the fall is here, how about crockpot cooking? Loads of easy recipes that cheapish.

Good luck!
Yes you are right about the meat and potato standbys. It get's pretty boring. You know, I have an uncle whom is a Truck Driver, he's on the road 20days out of the month. I used to watch him cook on his off days ALL....DAY. He had a meal line up of what he would cook up for freezer packing in his truck. None of the meals had a name to it. He wasn't married and didn't have a clue of what he was fixing. But, he was creative. He would hit the road with all mystery meals but was never hungry for a gas station sandwich. I always remember him for that. I am just dealing with picky eater's that I can't thoroughly discipline to eat everything I choose to cook , so it's hard. But, they have gotten better. I normally wait until the pantry is almost on it's last leg then try something new to give them. It psychology at it's best- so they have less of their options to say no or reject.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,432,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
Yes you are right about the meat and potato standbys. It get's pretty boring. You know, I have an uncle whom is a Truck Driver, he's on the road 20days out of the month. I used to watch him cook on his off days ALL....DAY. He had a meal line up of what he would cook up for freezer packing in his truck. None of the meals had a name to it. He wasn't married and didn't have a clue of what he was fixing. But, he was creative. He would hit the road with all mystery meals but was never hungry for a gas station sandwich. I always remember him for that. I am just dealing with picky eater's that I can't thoroughly discipline to eat everything I choose to cook , so it's hard. But, they have gotten better. I normally wait until the pantry is almost on it's last leg then try something new to give them. It psychology at it's best- so they have less of their options to say no or reject.
That was a nice story about your uncle - creative man!

We all get like you with meal challenges with adding variety, keeping to budget, and kids whose favorite food yesterday is their hated today. The best thing to do though is give them variety. I had a 17 and 18 yr at home right now and the past year has been quite a challenge due to changing tastes/preferences, work schedules, feeding their friends - yep! Wait until you cook a big batch and think you can skip cooking tonight - only to get home and learn that they and their friends ate the meal for their after school snack! And they are asking what's for dinner! All I can say is you have get creative and do some web surfing for ideas and menus. And, lay down the law about meals - you take the time to cook, they'd better eat it or have cereal or soup and you save the food for tomorrow night's meal. It's amazing how all of a sudden they are willing to eat the meal they thought they wouldn't like.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
That was a nice story about your uncle - creative man!

We all get like you with meal challenges with adding variety, keeping to budget, and kids whose favorite food yesterday is their hated today. The best thing to do though is give them variety. I had a 17 and 18 yr at home right now and the past year has been quite a challenge due to changing tastes/preferences, work schedules, feeding their friends - yep! Wait until you cook a big batch and think you can skip cooking tonight - only to get home and learn that they and their friends ate the meal for their after school snack! And they are asking what's for dinner! All I can say is you have get creative and do some web surfing for ideas and menus. And, lay down the law about meals - you take the time to cook, they'd better eat it or have cereal or soup and you save the food for tomorrow night's meal. It's amazing how all of a sudden they are willing to eat the meal they thought they wouldn't like.
Oh my gosh that's a nightmare of the friends. Gosh...I didn't even think of the others coming over to clear out even more. LOL!! I think I need to pull my Bible out for a few prayers for that thought!!

I am working on a project at the time kind of a check out game for the boys. I have sales papers and old shoe boxes that I'm not using. They get to pick what they want to eat and cut out and put it in there baskets(shoe boxes). I have given them play money from a monopoly game we have. It is going pretty good. They are learning what they can buy for the money I gave them. If it goes over budget they have to remove the item from their basket and select something else. I hope this helps me figure out what they "think " they like for the price. I'll see how this goes to help them live with their own choices at the actual store. Wish me luck...and thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products