U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,432,716 times

Advertisements

Yeah, just wait I would buy snacks for them that should last for 7 days. In 3 days they were pretty much gone due to friends hanging out here. I guess you have to decide if it's in or out of your budget. I'd rather have the kids at my house so was fine with feeding other kids - within reason. I quickly learned how to be more frugal. No more bringing home sushi for dinner and thinking I'd have leftovers for lunch next day

Sounds like your creative juices are flowing....I'd keep moving in that direction and develop a whole new menu plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM

133 posts, read 133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yeah, just wait I would buy snacks for them that should last for 7 days. In 3 days they were pretty much gone due to friends hanging out here. I guess you have to decide if it's in or out of your budget. I'd rather have the kids at my house so was fine with feeding other kids - within reason. I quickly learned how to be more frugal. No more bringing home sushi for dinner and thinking I'd have leftovers for lunch next day

Sounds like your creative juices are flowing....I'd keep moving in that direction and develop a whole new menu plan
I appreciate the warning. I think it's good you look out for the other kids. A lot of people can't these days. I just try to keep in mind we were all kids once. I use to have a Hispanic nanny that cooked a lot of Mexican Foods when I was young. the food was delicious but no one told me I would get it around my waistline laughing!! I was chubby but not fat. Couldn't swing on those monkey bars either. But, I was well fed. So, I think I will continue to come up with ways to help them make better choices instead of telling me they don't want it. My 10 year old doesn't speak very much- autistic but even he get's his point across that he doesn't want it. I left the store on Sunday for what I call touch ups for snacks, dairy and bread. Today, there's empty boxes left in there, the bottled water is a joke to keep around @ $4 case. I normally buy 3/ cases a week. The flushing fee here to drink water from the sink and filter it would double my water bill such as $ 156 used/ $159 flushing fee + city taxes. So, not worth using the water here. But the cases are down to one and it's only Tuesday. So, I know what you mean.

Will keep you posted on this trip to the market on the 1st with the kids and their selections.

Last edited by kalfur; 09-29-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 AM

10,559 posts, read 5,807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
.......We all get like you with meal challenges with adding variety, keeping to budget, and kids whose favorite food yesterday is their hated today. The best thing to do though is give them variety. I had a 17 and 18 yr at home right now and the past year has been quite a challenge due to changing tastes/preferences, work schedules, feeding their friends - yep! Wait until you cook a big batch and think you can skip cooking tonight - only to get home and learn that they and their friends ate the meal for their after school snack! And they are asking what's for dinner! All I can say is you have get creative and do some web surfing for ideas and menus. And, lay down the law about meals - you take the time to cook, they'd better eat it or have cereal or soup and you save the food for tomorrow night's meal. It's amazing how all of a sudden they are willing to eat the meal they thought they wouldn't like.
SHUDDERS!.......and I thought it was bad with three cats where I am washing half their daily can (a can for each) of cat food down the disposal.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
Yes you are right about the meat and potato standbys. It get's pretty boring. You know, I have an uncle whom is a Truck Driver, he's on the road 20days out of the month. I used to watch him cook on his off days ALL....DAY. He had a meal line up of what he would cook up for freezer packing in his truck. None of the meals had a name to it. He wasn't married and didn't have a clue of what he was fixing. But, he was creative. He would hit the road with all mystery meals but was never hungry for a gas station sandwich. I always remember him for that. I am just dealing with picky eater's that I can't thoroughly discipline to eat everything I choose to cook , so it's hard. But, they have gotten better. I normally wait until the pantry is almost on it's last leg then try something new to give them. It psychology at it's best- so they have less of their options to say no or reject.
Being a cook, if an amateur one that cooks like a professional, I have a lot of constants I refer to and many a day, it seems like my main meal (the one after work) is a 2-4 hour affair. Something like 2 hours to cook up the stew (that's where my meat and potatoes occur), something like 2 hours to enjoy it. Not always like that, but it often seems, probably when I realize that I've had pasta for two or three days straight (but with different toppings).

On the other hand, being someone constantly on the move for hours during the day, I am always looking for ways to be able to have meals out of my backpack instead of having to buy meals on campus which often don't meet my tastes (I can't tolerate institutionalized eggs), nor my nutritional requirements (meals sold for 20 year olds), nor my clock (when you get off work at 8 AM and the snack bars don't open till 10 am or later). Right now, I am meeting that by carrying around a lot of fruit as a replacement for canned spaghetti. Perhaps 7-10 years ago, it was a vial of white rice, canned fish, and a jar of mixed spices.........but white rice has been replaced in my diet by brown rice and that doesn't cook as easily in a microwave.

I suppose the pasta side packets could make suitable backpack meals, at least if there is kitchenette available. I grew up on skim and powdered milk, so using the former in that latter form is how I have milk as an adult. I don't think I've tried cooking with milk in its just mixed form, though. I do, however, use one of those packets from time to time with a can of meat, usually fish. The packets are cheap enough at the store to draw attention, fill up the basket with....though I suppose I ought to be reading those ingredients, too!

On using powdered milk: I converted back over to using that exclusively 15-20 years ago. Once in a blue moon, I'll pick up a bottle for the fresh stuff, but not that often. I find it is more economical and perhaps with less waste. A down side, though, is that I can only get the big boxes at Wally World and that might not always have it available. I am guessing that the consumer base for it is small so it is not the highest priority item. Indeed, once when I was checking out of HEB (when they had the big boxes), the teen boy sacker asked the not much older cashier what it was to which the latter responded, "It's for babies.".

As to my shopping technique, it tends to me more of a foraging style. I am in the area of the grocery store for some reason, I look around to see what's down in price, make the decision of whether or not to get it. Before I get into details, a problem with this approach is that one spends a lot of time doing it. One shops more for what they can use, what can extend their supplies, and less for what they need right now, though "right now" may be the reason why they are in the store in the first place. Plus, there is the risk of not knowing just how much you have at home which I get into below.

Getting into details a little bit, especially after THAT MOVE where I found I had bags of flour in the pantry, I have reeled in my eyes more to my buying habits. Today, it was glancing at the coffee (well, let me see what I have at home first; it's not critical since I am not really drinking it right now, anyhow), at wine (sure, it's a good table wine at a decent price, but I just bought a case of good table wine that ought to last me a while, so....), at croutons (they're cheap, but I probably have a decent supply already, so only get 4 bags for now), and at canned beef (well, they don't have the really small cans, nothing else is cheap, and if I really need beef in a stew (the only place for me canned beef is good), I can always use brisket).

On the other hand, they had a sale on 10 oz canned chicken and 12 can box of Friskies, so I stocked up a little on each. 48 cans of Friskies......a 16 day supply for my little darlings. What I really need in my pantry? More wall hooks! It's a closet under the staircase but only with one hook that I hang a mesh bag from ......with one, of three, supply run of croutons.

As it is, I do have another reason to go to HEB later. My sinks are clogged, so I need to get two plungers. Now that I know that I am almost out of coffee, I'll probably buy another can, perhals another head of lettuce, a day or two before I'm out. SIGH, it's an endless chase.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 AM

38,035 posts, read 46,836,164 times
Its good the kids are drinking water instead of junk drinks, but I would cut out the bottled water, it is not necessary.
I love the idea of buying a weeks worth of snacks, and let the kids monitor them. When they're gone, they're gone.
I am really kind of against snacks in the first place. If a kid eats meals, they really don't need to be eating snacks. Not sure where the trend that kids need to graze all day came from.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Its good the kids are drinking water instead of junk drinks, but I would cut out the bottled water, it is not necessary.
I love the idea of buying a weeks worth of snacks, and let the kids monitor them. When they're gone, they're gone.
I am really kind of against snacks in the first place. If a kid eats meals, they really don't need to be eating snacks. Not sure where the trend that kids need to graze all day came from.
I think the Day Care Centers started this trend of snacking. Their way of cutting cost of providing a full meal, but still charging the parent$$$. The snacks speeds up the metabolism and helps the body use and burn energy/fat. If one just has a large meal 3 times a day they could very well have a feeling of low energy in between those meals. It may not be mandatory but, apparently the school districts have put in vending machines and snack like items in their buildings for a reason other than making money. People that are diabetics need to snack often or their blood sugars my drop too low. So, it has it's place - just need to be limited the right way.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Being a cook, if an amateur one that cooks like a professional, I have a lot of constants I refer to and many a day, it seems like my main meal (the one after work) is a 2-4 hour affair. Something like 2 hours to cook up the stew (that's where my meat and potatoes occur), something like 2 hours to enjoy it. Not always like that, but it often seems, probably when I realize that I've had pasta for two or three days straight (but with different toppings).

On the other hand, being someone constantly on the move for hours during the day, I am always looking for ways to be able to have meals out of my backpack instead of having to buy meals on campus which often don't meet my tastes (I can't tolerate institutionalized eggs), nor my nutritional requirements (meals sold for 20 year olds), nor my clock (when you get off work at 8 AM and the snack bars don't open till 10 am or later). Right now, I am meeting that by carrying around a lot of fruit as a replacement for canned spaghetti. Perhaps 7-10 years ago, it was a vial of white rice, canned fish, and a jar of mixed spices.........but white rice has been replaced in my diet by brown rice and that doesn't cook as easily in a microwave.

I suppose the pasta side packets could make suitable backpack meals, at least if there is kitchenette available. I grew up on skim and powdered milk, so using the former in that latter form is how I have milk as an adult. I don't think I've tried cooking with milk in its just mixed form, though. I do, however, use one of those packets from time to time with a can of meat, usually fish. The packets are cheap enough at the store to draw attention, fill up the basket with....though I suppose I ought to be reading those ingredients, too!

On using powdered milk: I converted back over to using that exclusively 15-20 years ago. Once in a blue moon, I'll pick up a bottle for the fresh stuff, but not that often. I find it is more economical and perhaps with less waste. A down side, though, is that I can only get the big boxes at Wally World and that might not always have it available. I am guessing that the consumer base for it is small so it is not the highest priority item. Indeed, once when I was checking out of HEB (when they had the big boxes), the teen boy sacker asked the not much older cashier what it was to which the latter responded, "It's for babies.".

As to my shopping technique, it tends to me more of a foraging style. I am in the area of the grocery store for some reason, I look around to see what's down in price, make the decision of whether or not to get it. Before I get into details, a problem with this approach is that one spends a lot of time doing it. One shops more for what they can use, what can extend their supplies, and less for what they need right now, though "right now" may be the reason why they are in the store in the first place. Plus, there is the risk of not knowing just how much you have at home which I get into below.

Getting into details a little bit, especially after THAT MOVE where I found I had bags of flour in the pantry, I have reeled in my eyes more to my buying habits. Today, it was glancing at the coffee (well, let me see what I have at home first; it's not critical since I am not really drinking it right now, anyhow), at wine (sure, it's a good table wine at a decent price, but I just bought a case of good table wine that ought to last me a while, so....), at croutons (they're cheap, but I probably have a decent supply already, so only get 4 bags for now), and at canned beef (well, they don't have the really small cans, nothing else is cheap, and if I really need beef in a stew (the only place for me canned beef is good), I can always use brisket).

On the other hand, they had a sale on 10 oz canned chicken and 12 can box of Friskies, so I stocked up a little on each. 48 cans of Friskies......a 16 day supply for my little darlings. What I really need in my pantry? More wall hooks! It's a closet under the staircase but only with one hook that I hang a mesh bag from ......with one, of three, supply run of croutons.

As it is, I do have another reason to go to HEB later. My sinks are clogged, so I need to get two plungers. Now that I know that I am almost out of coffee, I'll probably buy another can, perhals another head of lettuce, a day or two before I'm out. SIGH, it's an endless chase.
Shopping it's an art to some. One person may get in and get out, while another is in the store longer but comes out with only two items. Institutionalized eggs agreed - yuk!! They are not the best to select. I have tried to alternate the substitute eggs and it's not the same. I used them during the Holiday's once and it was a nightmare. My cakes weren't as fluffy, the cornbread muffins didn't rise as much. I also used them in the pies and it was a bland sponge taste to them. The trips to the store to get home products inside a store that also sells food can be a problem. The mind does wonder around and collect thoughts for the next payday. It takes firmness with everything----because the Mortgage will shut the thoughts down and off.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
Shopping it's an art to some. One person may get in and get out, while another is in the store longer but comes out with only two items. Institutionalized eggs agreed - yuk!! They are not the best to select. I have tried to alternate the substitute eggs and it's not the same. I used them during the Holiday's once and it was a nightmare. My cakes weren't as fluffy, the cornbread muffins didn't rise as much. I also used them in the pies and it was a bland sponge taste to them. The trips to the store to get home products inside a store that also sells food can be a problem. The mind does wonder around and collect thoughts for the next payday. It takes firmness with everything----because the Mortgage will shut the thoughts down and off.
"One person may get in and get out." I have visions of the speedster with the cart, running, going around aisle corners on two wheels. A version of the speed eater at Phyllis Diller's house, the ones who have racing stripes on their forks.

It's not the powdered eggs or such, it's just eggs served by cafeterias, snack bars, ships' wardrooms, whatever; when eggs are cooked for a group and I have some, my tummy does somersaults. As such, I can't have snack bar breakfast tacos because the eggs are already mixed in with the meat.......but as it is, my definition of breakfast tacos has altered, anyhow. For me, that meal is soft tacos, avocado, fish, and a cheese. I have them often at home with a can of sardines or kippers.

I do have a can of substitute eggs (or maybe it was whites) in the pantry for now emergency purposes. I think I bought them on a whim back during my pre Move days when I somehow was thinking that I didn't have too much stuff. Dehydrated eggs are something I may look at when I move out to the country and the possibility of farm eggs comes into existence.

It's interesting about get in and get out; that's a philosophy that I use for a lot of things, be it making my appearance at a party to taking a test. Ie, get in, lay the explosives, and get out.

But I know with grocery stores, even if it is just stopping by for something quick on the way to work, it's at least 20 minutes inside the store.

Foraging, I guess, is a way of life, be it at the grocery store, wine shopping, gun shows (which I have't been to for a few years), whatever.

But I guess for the plungers, I ought to go to Wally World. That is the place sure to have them and I don't want to spend that much time around town, hunting for the things I certainly need. Just that it is pretty well all the way across town, so I'm not that anxious to go there, but what to do?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"One person may get in and get out." I have visions of the speedster with the cart, running, going around aisle corners on two wheels. A version of the speed eater at Phyllis Diller's house, the ones who have racing stripes on their forks.

It's not the powdered eggs or such, it's just eggs served by cafeterias, snack bars, ships' wardrooms, whatever; when eggs are cooked for a group and I have some, my tummy does somersaults. As such, I can't have snack bar breakfast tacos because the eggs are already mixed in with the meat.......but as it is, my definition of breakfast tacos has altered, anyhow. For me, that meal is soft tacos, avocado, fish, and a cheese. I have them often at home with a can of sardines or kippers.

I do have a can of substitute eggs (or maybe it was whites) in the pantry for now emergency purposes. I think I bought them on a whim back during my pre Move days when I somehow was thinking that I didn't have too much stuff. Dehydrated eggs are something I may look at when I move out to the country and the possibility of farm eggs comes into existence.

It's interesting about get in and get out; that's a philosophy that I use for a lot of things, be it making my appearance at a party to taking a test. Ie, get in, lay the explosives, and get out.

But I know with grocery stores, even if it is just stopping by for something quick on the way to work, it's at least 20 minutes inside the store.

Foraging, I guess, is a way of life, be it at the grocery store, wine shopping, gun shows (which I have't been to for a few years), whatever.

But I guess for the plungers, I ought to go to Wally World. That is the place sure to have them and I don't want to spend that much time around town, hunting for the things I certainly need. Just that it is pretty well all the way across town, so I'm not that anxious to go there, but what to do?
Get "in and out" if your only going for a few things at either store. I have heard people on the thread mention the stores they shop at. HEB, SAMS, Wal-Mart, Costco, ALDI- Mart and the Dollar store. This is my first time hearing Wally World - is that the name? Or what you call it. We do not have one hear in my location.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM

2,002 posts, read 1,212,592 times
Wal-Mart=WallyWorld. Just a pun on the name. I heard it first back in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products