Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I have been ignoring people staring for a while now. I think it may be the City all together. I once had a cashier ask me why was I buying bed sheets and pillows once!! I answered ----because I have a bed!! So, matters not if it's food or a food item they seem to care too much what I have in my basket. But, the Ramen Noodle comment the OP mentioned above was said as if something was wrong with the product. There are many of things that aren't the best products with high sodium or calories that I can think of. I do agree with you on the overall spending is kind of high. In which I used to shop for more healthier meals to cook but the price increase on foods have gone up not just a little bit. Such as a family size ground beef use to be $ 7.48 and is now $15.98, chicken breast that were $11.69 are now $ 17.46. This is a hike in price for a 6 month time frame. By the time I add the side dishes of a veggie, 1 starch such as roasted potatoes and a roll you are looking at $ 60 a day and that is just one out of three meals of the day. So if we are talking $80/ a day for breakfast/ lunch / dinner per week that comes to 80 X 7 days =$560 a week. Which is kind of high $ 2240 a month. I can't see that a month!! So, we do skip meals and try to buy cheaper.

Good for you for ignoring them! If anyone ever says anything to me at check out its usually like "oh this looks good, i wanna try it." But whatever it is, i try to think of it from THEIR perspective. I can't imagine a more monotonous job to have!! I've done counter-work before but i was running back and forth all the time. I've never having to STAND IN ONE LITTLE CUBE for 8 hours! I would seriously go crazy!!! I think i'd be asking tons of inappropriate questions just to keep myself conscious!

And good for you for being motivated for cutting down the costs! I think everyone fantasizes about having unlimited funds when it comes to food. (I would eat out for dinner everyday if i could! And have a $5-$7 glass of wine at every sitting! )

But the reality is that we all do what we can with what we have. I often challenge myself to spend as little as possible because it makes me "creative." I've stopped buying trash bags all together recently and get all my crackers, chips, and some other stuff at the $1 store! It can be a fun game when you look at it that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:18 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I can't even begin to imagine who these "watchers" are. You're being paranoid. I wouldn't pay any attention even if I saw someone with an entire cart full of candy. If I even noticed I'd assume they were stocking up for Halloween.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
As silly as it is - I get it all the time. So much to where I thought it was one store- Wal- Mart @529/hwy 6 in Houston, TX. But, I stop going there for a few weeks only to go to HEB and the same thing. No one should monitor what you put in your basket and honestly it psss.. me off each time. I don't care what they have in their carts! I really would like to say something to the watchers but it's not worth it to blow up in the store like that. Just wondered if any one on the planet is going through the same thing?
If you think people are monitoring what you put in your cart to buy, then you are being paranoid. As for the cost of food, either buy economical basics and cook and bake at home, or apply for food stamps.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:16 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Who cares what is in your shopping cart. Should be just you that cares.
I had to teen boys to feed for a time, as well as their younger sister. Thank goodness my kids are all grown up now.

I started with fresh potatoes, or rice....steamed rice. Not the instant stuff. Then, you have anything noodles.
Use meat for flavoring.
Veggies, you can find cheaper than the steaming bags. Generic for one.
Dried beans...learn to cook them and use them in menus.
Oatmeal, old fashioned long cooking. Like...5 minutes.
Breads on sale or go to a bread store.
Cornmeal. For cornbread etc...
Learn to cook and use a whole chicken....meat on the first meal...boil the carcass and strip bones for the second meal.
Like, chicken and noodles.
Eggs ...if you can find someone selling fresh laid eggs. They are worth the $$.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:09 AM

133 posts, read 221,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ahhh, teenagers. They'll tear into a food budget. They really do have a hollow leg... or something.

When my son was a teen, he or one of his friends would find a "buy one get one free" coupon for a cheap buffet. He always went with two friends and they split the cost. Well, to say they got there their monies worth is an understatement. I'm surprised that the place had more food or clean dishes by the time they left.
It's always good to get positive feedback. I am glad you understand. I have actually 3 boys and a girl. My oldest Son is 21 now in college now. The 10 year old is Autistic/and has OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The 14 year old has Cystic Fibrosis- Chronic Lung Disorder. My daughter is 19 and also in College. The boys CAN REALLY Eat quite a bit - it's hard to be firm with them on what and how much they eat. I don't think they really understand mentally. So, I am trying to make it through but still balance it out. So, it's good to hear that you understand. Thanks for the feedback- very funny.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:22 AM

133 posts, read 221,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Good for you for ignoring them! If anyone ever says anything to me at check out its usually like "oh this looks good, i wanna try it." But whatever it is, i try to think of it from THEIR perspective. I can't imagine a more monotonous job to have!! I've done counter-work before but i was running back and forth all the time. I've never having to STAND IN ONE LITTLE CUBE for 8 hours! I would seriously go crazy!!! I think i'd be asking tons of inappropriate questions just to keep myself conscious!

And good for you for being motivated for cutting down the costs! I think everyone fantasizes about having unlimited funds when it comes to food. (I would eat out for dinner everyday if i could! And have a $5-$7 glass of wine at every sitting! )

But the reality is that we all do what we can with what we have. I often challenge myself to spend as little as possible because it makes me "creative." I've stopped buying trash bags all together recently and get all my crackers, chips, and some other stuff at the $1 store! It can be a fun game when you look at it that way!
That's a good way to look at things. Just different types of people in the world. I have Cashiered in my past before also, but it didn't really bother me. I would always allow the customer to set the stage of open conversation. Some are very open to talk about any and everything. then some say nothing and just wait for the transaction to be done with. It was in there hands to dictate there. I just did my job like everyone else. No problems . You said you stopped using trash bags- that's great. but, what do you do with the trash- recycle??

Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just thought of a tip. If you can buy Mid's Pasta Sauce in your area, the Meat or Italian sausage varieties have so much visible meat in them that you don't need to add any to it. The jar is still 32 oz. instead of the small jars that everyone else is using. I will typically mix one jar of Mid's with a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, and a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, and I have a good big batch of sauce for about $7. or less. If Mid's goes on sale, I stock up.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
To anyone with a food price issue, I offer the following advice. It comes from my second daughter, who has 4 children, 2 of them in their teens. P.S. - they are all very well fed!

* Buy yourself a chest freezer, even if used. You will need this.
* When turkey goes on sale at the holidays, stock up. Use the freezer.
* When ham goes on sale for Easter, stock up. Use the freezer.
* When tomatoes come into season, buy the 'uglies' at a farmer's market. Use the freezer.
* Buy your potatoes, onions and carrots in large bags, preferably at farmers markets. Keep in a cool dry place all winter, and they will last. Ditto for apples, in fall.
* Buy your rice in 50-lb sacks. Feed dealers sell large sacks of corn, wheat, and other grains.

If you do these things, your kids won't ever go hungry. Trying to feed teenagers from supermarket canned goods is a losing battle. That's the most expensive way to eat. I would add, learn to can your own. Lots of produce goes to waste, because no one knows what to do with it!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Who cares what is in your shopping cart. Should be just you that cares.
I had to teen boys to feed for a time, as well as their younger sister. Thank goodness my kids are all grown up now.

I started with fresh potatoes, or rice....steamed rice. Not the instant stuff. Then, you have anything noodles.
Use meat for flavoring.
Veggies, you can find cheaper than the steaming bags. Generic for one.
Dried beans...learn to cook them and use them in menus.
Oatmeal, old fashioned long cooking. Like...5 minutes.
Breads on sale or go to a bread store.
Cornmeal. For cornbread etc...
Learn to cook and use a whole chicken....meat on the first meal...boil the carcass and strip bones for the second meal.
Like, chicken and noodles.
Eggs ...if you can find someone selling fresh laid eggs. They are worth the $$.
Ditto on the OATMEAL! I buy a 10 lb box of oatmeal (not instant) at Sam's, for breakfast during cool weather. It's WAY CHEAPER than cereal or anything else, plus is one of the healthiest foods a person can eat. I add artificial sweetener & cinnamon to mine. I also make it for the dogs, without the sweetener & cinnamon (it's healthy for dogs, too!).

Ditto on the EGGS. Altho the price of eggs has gone up, you get a lot of protein bang for the buck, and they're versatile.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:26 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Go easy on meat and processed foods.

Dry goods are cheap and more nutritious than processed foods.

Money-saving protein sources are eggs and beans. A lot of protein bang for the buck.

Get away from beef. It's expensive and not very healthy. I buy frozen chicken parts, and treat myself to a baked chicken from Sam's sometimes (that costs $5....you can hardly buy a raw chicken for that price!). Rolls of frozen turkey meat at WalMart (Jennie-O brand or generic) give a lot of bang for the buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products