U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,255,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingandmoving View Post
Wow, you are brave. Meat that is 16 years old could be deadly.
Why should it be? It was frozen all the time.

Although, I'm not sure I would try the frozen mammoth that was served at the New York explorers club back 64 years ago.

The Time 250,000-Year-Old Mammoth Was Served For Dinner | Mental Floss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,215,349 times
Quote:
If you grew your own food you could save a boatload of money. Sadly society is designed around making people not think about doing things themselves, because then they wouldn't have to be slaves to the system, which could barely hurt the bank accounts of a few trillionaires, and no, we don't want to take away a couple cumulative million from a trillionaire even if that means freeing the poor from wage slavery. No, we don't want that. >
I don't know about saving a "boatload". I have a garden. Every spring, I faithfully dig in compost, lovingly plant my plants and seeds, water faithfully, and fertilize religiously. I have tomato plants, pepper plants, bean plants, basil.....The Japanese beetles decimated my basil. A hail storm shredded my pepper and tomato plants. I did get some beans. So did the slugs and rabbits, despite the fence surrounding the garden. The tomatoes recovered enough to bloom again and set lots of tomatoes...which the squirrels promptly devoured. The pepper plants never did recover enough to bloom. I find a half ripe tomato on my deck almost every morning, half chewed with a bunch of little squirrel poops next to it, mocking me.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,215,349 times
Quote:
Wow, you are brave. Meat that is 16 years old could be deadly.
No, not deadly. Not the best quality, but not deadly, assuming the freezer has been at the proper temp the whole time (most chest freezers are actually at or below 0 degrees F). Why would you think it would be deadly?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:11 PM

9,151 posts, read 5,318,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I don't know about you but, I can't fill up my pantry anymore.
I agree with you, prices has gone skyrocket, I wanted some hamburger meat the other day, it was $7 a pound for 15%, a week earlier it was $5. whole chickens $9

Old 09-27-2015, 10:16 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,561,797 times
OP, no one is staring at you and judging you for putting ramen noodles in your cart. You're paranoid and at least a little crazy.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 PM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
OP have you ever tried the Dollar Stores for canned goods and non perishables?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 PM

133 posts, read 133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I agree with you, prices has gone skyrocket, I wanted some hamburger meat the other day, it was $7 a pound for 15%, a week earlier it was $5. whole chickens $9
It's very much like the stock market/ affect daily----revealed in food, gas, housing all linked together. When there's low- dropping gas prices--- I worry!!! Because, I know there's a drawback somewhere to that. So, you could be happy filling up your car but that out come just added on $6 to $7 dollars to products at the store.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
OP, no one is staring at you and judging you for putting ramen noodles in your cart. You're paranoid and at least a little crazy.
Thanks for your reply. When I first started this thread, I couldn't figure out why they would stare or glance in a weird way. I have only said what others on this thread have probably done to others like me. But, I have figured out that what I think is ideal amount to spend for my family was way off from what other's spend ideally. So, in short it could have been the amount I had in my basket or those noodles like I said. I also had tuna, sardines, canned soups and $1 goods. It could have been the amount of cans I had ----some would think I was shopping for feed the Hungry Campaign. Don't know!!! But, thanks for saying I'm crazy about feeding my family. God Bless you and yours--

Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,561,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
Thanks for your reply. When I first started this thread, I couldn't figure out why they would stare or glance in a weird way. I have only said what others on this thread have probably done to others like me. But, I have figured out that what I think is ideal amount to spend for my family was way off from what other's spend ideally. So, in short it could have been the amount I had in my basket or those noodles like I said. I also had tuna, sardines, canned soups and $1 goods. It could have been the amount of cans I had ----some would think I was shopping for feed the Hungry Campaign. Don't know!!! But, thanks for saying I'm crazy about feeding my family. God Bless you and yours--
You're not crazy about feeding your family. You're just general crazy.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP have you ever tried the Dollar Stores for canned goods and non perishables?
I have a Family Dollar near my location. I normally buy home goods from there and a few snacks. But have never checked out for canned goods there. Dollar items can be tricky because if they have 2 for $1.00 there and HEB has the same canned good for $ 4/ 1.00 then you could be spending a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products