Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 AM

133 posts, read 221,370 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you but, I can't fill up my pantry anymore. I use to be able to shop for a lot of groceries - like 2- 3years ago. But here lately it's been very hollow and empty with few canned goods and a loaf of bread. I mean, I grew up looking into the pantry as a kid with stacked shelves of all sorts of interesting products. To a fat kid this was beautiful to me- lol. So, I'm a Mother now with growing children in the house and it's hard to keep food in the house yet I'm spending more money on food. I would love to grow my own veggies in the back yard but I'm in a neighborhood that sometimes has strict water usage. I would love to re- live the days when you could fill up the pantry with "good" products again. These days the packages are getting smaller and the prices are still going up. Any thoughts of how much money should a family spend to eat 3 meals a day and a snack at least??? What do you buy- honestly? When I'm in the store shopping and try to shop cheap- I get looks from others passing by. . .WTH. . .I'm trying to budget but as soon as I reach for a pack of Ramen noodles or cans of tuna - everyone acts as if I broke a rule. This is crazy!

Last edited by kalfur; 09-26-2015 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 01:33 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Do you work? I didn't work (often) for 15 years when my husband was in the military. We moved--a lot. No one wants to hire you when they know you're going to move.

I shopped sales, clipped coupons, (it's no longer worth the trouble) cooked 90% of our food, always had something growing in pots or the garden.

The pantry doesn't have to be full, you just have to know what to do with what's left.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I don't know about you but, I can't fill up my pantry anymore. I use to be able to shop for a lot of groceries - like 2- 3years ago. But here lately it's been very hollow and empty with few canned goods and a loaf of bread. I mean, I grew up looking into the pantry as a kid with stacked shelves of all sorts of interesting products. To a fat kid this was beautiful to me- lol. So, I'm a Mother now with growing children in the house and it's hard to keep food in the house yet I'm spending more money on food. I would love to grow my own veggies in the back yard but I'm in a neighborhood that sometimes has strict water usage. I would love to re- live the days when you could fill up the pantry with "good" products again. These days the packages are getting smaller and the prices are still going up. Any thoughts of how much money should a family spend to eat 3 meals a day and a snack at least??? What do you buy- honestly? When I'm in the store shopping and try to shop cheap- I get looks from others passing by. . .WTH. . .I'm trying to budget but as soon as I reach for a pack of Ramen noodles or cans of tuna - everyone acts as if I broke a rule. This is crazy!
Why would anyone else care what you put in your grocery cart? That is silly, no one I know monitors what others purchase because they do not care what others purchase.

If you are buying "good" products you would not have Ramen in your cart you would have more fresh or frozen ingredients and less processed boxed items.

Last edited by CSD610; 09-26-2015 at 02:35 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would anyone else care what you put in your grocery cart? That is silly, no one I know moitors what others purchase because they do not care what others purchase.

If you are buying "good" products you would not have Ramen in your cart you would have more fresh or frozen ingredients and less processed boxed items.
As silly as it is - I get it all the time. So much to where I thought it was one store- Wal- Mart @529/hwy 6 in Houston, TX. But, I stop going there for a few weeks only to go to HEB and the same thing. No one should monitor what you put in your basket and honestly it psss.. me off each time. I don't care what they have in their carts! I really would like to say something to the watchers but it's not worth it to blow up in the store like that. Just wondered if any one on the planet is going through the same thing?

Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Do you work? I didn't work (often) for 15 years when my husband was in the military. We moved--a lot. No one wants to hire you when they know you're going to move.

I shopped sales, clipped coupons, (it's no longer worth the trouble) cooked 90% of our food, always had something growing in pots or the garden.

The pantry doesn't have to be full, you just have to know what to do with what's left.
Yes, and I do understand the Military issues with moving. I was on the east coast for 4 years - Navy but relocated back to Houston and it has changed in many ways here. I spend about $ 1850 on food now for a 10 year old and 14 year old -boys. My daughter and I eat pretty lite. I know it cost a bit for boys as they are active but I can't see my self spending $2,000 to $3,000 on food. They are regular size boys. Me and my daughter are on the slim side. But, it's hard to stretch the money and still eat healthy.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 AM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
The cheapest easiest vegetable to grow eventually becomes free in abundance.
Get free manure, they give it away in droves here (horse manure) buy some organic potatoes and cut the "eyes" out of them. Mix them in the manure. As they grow, and it is slow but it's free and healthy, before you cook them, cut the eyes out and toss them back in so they will make more potatoes. Eat the rest.

With little money start very slow but it will catch up and you will eventually have more than enough potatoes. A youtube video showed me this years back. Also buying a homemade laundry soap kit from ebay for $10 saved me hundreds per year. And it is the best laundry soap and dish soap. We replaced cascade, this is pennies per load. Those are my two biggest easy money savers. I make the laundry soap on very hot days so I dont need to cook on my stove, get recyclable containers free at the recycling center to use

The military has its own food stamp program. You may want to check to see if you qualify for the secular food stamp program, you never know. Online calculators can tell you. Good luck to you

Old 09-26-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would anyone else care what you put in your grocery cart? That is silly, no one I know monitors what others purchase because they do not care what others purchase.

So..... Are you saying there's something's wrong with Ramen Noodles? There are other healthy things I do put in my basket? The internet actually had healthy recipes for cooking with Ramen Noodles. So I'm not sure I follow you on that.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
In the nearly 20 years I've been buying Ramen, I've never noticed ANYONE watch me. Do you think maybe you are oversensitive to people looking at you in general?

What you spend on food seems kinda high IMHO.

My advice is F the water ban! If it's a matter of 4 people staying healthy and not starving, i can't think of a more legitimate excuse for breaking a rule!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Ramen, the college student's diet. Cheap but the problem is the sodium in the flavoring. As long as you use it in your own recipe, with some vegetables added and don't add their flavor packet, it's no less healthy than anything else. We rarely get more than a bag or two at the grocery store. Most of our pantry is filled from Costco. They have good prices for quality goods like multiple cans of tuna packed together, boxes full of canned tomato sauce, refried beans, large packages of pastas, to name a few. We also have a big freezer, and fill it with other great Costco items lie meat in large quantities, packaged in Ziplock freezer bags (also from Costco) and a few packaged prepared foods from Trader Joe's like pot stickers and Orange Chicken.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Do you have several grocery stores in your area, OP? I do not have a lot of pantry space, but I do shop the ads of 3-4 local grocery stores every week. I only buy things I know I use regularly. Someone always has the staples on sale, so I buy accordingly.
I watch for things like canned tomatoes and pasta sauces, and paper products to go on sale, but I still will only buy the brands I like. I do not use many canned goods, so most of my "pantry" goes into the freezer. My main aim is to go where beef is the cheapest that week. Each of these stores is within 5 miles of my house, so it is easy to shop at any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products