Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times

Advertisements

Our 3 year old is not sleeping well in her toddler bed anymore. She is still using a crib mattress, but has no problem sleeping on our mattress (or on other people's mattresses when we stayed overnight at family's). In fact she sleeps better in a real mattress. So we decided it's time to buy her a new one. Well, it had been a LONG time since ive gone mattress shopping (10 years to be exact) and holy moly mattresses are pricier than I remember.

Anyway, since my husband and I still share a full size mattress we figured we'd rather upgrade to a queen and our daughter can have our full size. She loves the comfort of ours (it's a Simmons beauty rest and is still extremely comfortable despite being 10 years old), and I would hate to buy a mattress and have her be a typical 3 year old and refuse to sleep in it because she "doesn't like it".. By telling her she gets mommy & daddy's mattress she is actually excited to sleep in it. Plus when we priced it out, it was slightly more expensive for a queen than a twin. A few places we have haggled a queen size down to the price of a twin size mattress.

We just haven't been able to pull the trigger because it's such a huge investment (and after our computer and car crapping out on us within the past month we are seriously so sick of spending big $$$), so we want to make sure we get the best bang for our buck and that it'll last a long time. We prefer soft mattresses- we like to feel like we are sleeping on a cloud lol

Today we were casually browsing at a mattress store and the sales associate told us about a floor model she is trying to get rid of. It is only 6 months old and being discontinued because it was the brand's "anniversary line" so they need to put new stock in its place. It is normally sold at their store for $3000 but she offered it to us for $500 (including box spring and taxes). The catch? No warranty- sold in "as is" condition. I asked her if they ever had to spray for bed bugs or fleas and she laughed and said no. The brand is Kingsdown and it is their Platinum Anniversary model... The reviews online are mixed. It seems like people either love or hate it. It's a pillow top and my god it is the most comfortable mattress I've ever laid on!

I'm just so torn on whether or not buying a floor model is a good idea. Any feedback? I know buying "as is" voids the manufacturer warranty but from what I've read in reviews, Kingsdown isn't very good at honoring their warranty anyway...

For those that are familiar with the brand, what is your opinion of it?

Anyone else able to recommend a decent mattress that won't break the bank? Ideally we want to spend less than $600. I am leery of ordering online anywhere other than Amazon, but if there is a website you've used to order a mattress please let me know your experience.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by sunshinelove0000; 10-05-2015 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 PM

Hmm wondering if I posted this in the wrong forum... Consumer/shopping may have been better?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
The price is certainly right, especially with the box springs , but I've never heard of the brand. it most likely hasn't had much use, an occasional short stretch on it to see how it feels. I would consider it only if they offered a warranty. There is no reason she shouldn't offer some kind of warranty, insist on it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
The price is certainly right, especially with the box springs , but I've never heard of the brand. it most likely hasn't had much use, an occasional short stretch on it to see how it feels. I would consider it only if they offered a warranty. There is no reason she shouldn't offer some kind of warranty, insist on it.
True! It is actually at a different location. I am going to that store tomorrow to inspect it and lay on it and will definitely talk to the manager about a warranty.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
A $3000 item goes for $500 sounding fishy. Not to mention that it is void of warrenty.

In my country, some mattress manifacturers picked the abandoned mattresses from the dumps, and they renewed the linene clothes outside . The such matresses were in the low prices. But even though with such manufacturings, they would be branded Simmon or your Kingsomething for U.S. $5000.

Therefore, to buy a mattress that you like is the option.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hit the search button. We had dozens great threads about mattresses with some really helpful advice.
(Search "mattress" on "House" and "Shopping and Consumer Products" Forums)

Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I wouldn't have any problem buying a floor model for the right price. And I think you can buy a plastic cover for it that you leave on for a while that would kill any bedbugs that might be on it.

You could check Costco online, too. But, I think your floor model sounds great.

BTW, I like a really soft bed, too, and I have two mattresses on top of each other, instead of a box spring. It's softer that way.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Before you decide to buy, you should read some reviews:
Unbiased Kingsdown Mattress Reviews and Ratings 2015 : Sleep To Live : Complaints, Comparison
https://www.goodbed.com/mattresses/kingsdown/
Kingsdown Mattress - Review You Wanted | Mattress Reviews
What's the Best Mattress | Kingsdown User Reviews
... and many more...

pretty much everyone complaints that the mattress gets saggy and lumpy in a very short time after the purchase.

Do you KNOW what mattress you need? Soft? Medium? Hard? Most people love hard mattress, because they wake up without pain caused by soft, plush, sagging mattresses.
Bed bugs, fleas, mites, allergies? Try natural latex mattress, that is firm, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, mildew proof and dust mite resistant.
What will you do with a $500 mattress you hate? You can't bring it back. So, think twice before you save on stuff that is so important for your health and well being.
https://goo.gl/5V4smF

Last edited by elnina; 10-05-2015 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Before you decide to buy, you should read some reviews:
Unbiased Kingsdown Mattress Reviews and Ratings 2015 : Sleep To Live : Complaints, Comparison
https://www.goodbed.com/mattresses/kingsdown/
Kingsdown Mattress - Review You Wanted | Mattress Reviews
What's the Best Mattress | Kingsdown User Reviews
... and many more...

pretty much everyone complaints that the mattress gets saggy and lumpy in a very short time after the purchase.

Do you KNOW what mattress you need? Soft? Medium? Hard? Most people love hard mattress, because they wake up without pain caused by soft, plush, sagging mattresses.
Bed bugs, fleas, mites, allergies? Try natural latex mattress, that is firm, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, mildew proof and dust mite resistant.
What will you do with a $500 mattress you hate? You can't bring it back. So, think twice before you save on stuff that is so important for your health and well being.
https://goo.gl/5V4smF
To be honest I'm not sure what we need... I had searched the forum re: mattress buying and am more confused than ever. I have major back & joint issues and whenever I've slept on something firm (hotel mattress, family member's spare bed, the couch, etc) I wake up in excruciating pain. Everything I read says go with firm and that firm mattresses are supposedly better... Yet firm causes me so much pain... I honestly don't know what type of mattress I have now.. I know, that's awful. It is very comfortable and soft but firm (not like a pillow top that you sink into but not as firm as the mattresses I've laid on) and the mattress topper definitely helps it comfort-wise.

I totally agree that spending $500 on something we can't bring back would suck!! If we buy a mattress at a different store and don't like it, will they let you exchange it? I bet Amazon would. They have such amazing return policies

Do you have any specific brands/models that you recommend that are latex and repel the things you mentioned?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wouldn't have any problem buying a floor model for the right price. And I think you can buy a plastic cover for it that you leave on for a while that would kill any bedbugs that might be on it.

You could check Costco online, too. But, I think your floor model sounds great.

BTW, I like a really soft bed, too, and I have two mattresses on top of each other, instead of a box spring. It's softer that way.
Does Costco online require a membership?? I've heard great things about Costco for large ticket purchases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products