U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 PM

43,992 posts, read 53,835,803 times

Advertisements

Have Prime and PrimeNow and have noticed nothing different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 03:46 PM

14,269 posts, read 16,180,068 times
I don't have Prime but I order stuff from Amazon. I ordered vacuum cleaner bags just last month and they got here in 3 business days (plus the weekend) However, I believe they were shipped directly from the manufacturer in Calif.

The last shipment I got directly from Amazon only took 7 days (free shipping) including Sat & Sun. I don't care if my package is shipped via UPS or Fedex and transferred to the local Post Office, as long as I can track it.

I learned something recently, which most of you might already know. If you add 92 in front of the Fedex Surepost tracking number, that's the number the U.S. Post Office uses. Usually, by the time I get the tracking number from the Post Office, my package is already here. It will only work after Fedex drops off the package, however. (as far as I know)

I am going to be a hypocrite now, because I admit I sometimes become very impatient and check the tracking too much, but I think we are all spoiled. If I were paying for expedited shipping or an extra fee for Prime, then maybe I'd be more upset if a package took a week or more to be delivered. However, I'm starting to change my attitude and just be happy when I get my order in good condition, as long as I get it within 2 weeks. 99% of my orders arrive in 5-7 days.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm beginning to wonder if the internet and access to by-the-minute information is creating an impatient society. However, if an item is perishable (like brownies) I can understand why someone would want quick delivery. Now, excuse me while I check on the order I placed Thursday!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The conspiracy-theory part of my brain says they are doing this on purpose to try to get people to pay to join Amazon Prime.
You make a valid point. I once called Amazon because an in stock item didn't move for 3 or 4 days. I think it's what Dd714 mentioned (post #23) and it makes sense to me.

However, I realized I was given an estimated shipping date and, when it arrived, I actually got it sooner. It only bothered me because it was in stock in Amazon's warehouse and was picked (per the tracking info) but didn't move. But if my order said I'd get it by Fri the 6th and it arrived by Thur the 5th, does it matter?

Old 10-13-2015, 02:24 PM

I received a rep (thank you) for mentioning this, so I thought I'd post it again. If you use Fedex SmartPost, as soon as the information is sent to the USPS, you can type 92 in front of the Fedex tracking number to track it from the post office. It didn't work yesterday and I got "NOT FOUND" when entering it, but this morning it worked. I first went onto the Fedex site and got this

10/13/2015 - Tuesday
In transit to U.S. Postal Service
1:30 am Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service

So I signed onto the USPS site, added 92 in front of my tracking number and got this:

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS October 13, 2015

The reason I wanted to sign up on the USPS site is because I like to get emails telling me when a package is delivered. I'm in a rural area and don't get mail delivery to the door. Once I see "in parcel locker" then I pick it up where the mail is dropped off.

Hope it helps someone in the future. I'm not sure if it works the same with UPS Surepost. Does anyone know?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm finding that it's not the shipping company that's delaying but Amazon itself. An order placed 9/17 sat at Amazon until they finally marked it "shipped" on 10/7. I'll probably get it 10/9. It's the "sitting on the order before shipping" part that's frustrating me.

Yes, I CHOOSE free shipping, but the T&C for the free shipping still says 5-8 days. This is way over.
I noticed the same thing. I don't shop Amazon often because they aren't usually competitively priced for the items I order anymore. A couple of months ago, though, I ordered two items from Amazon, including one item that I tacked on just to hit the $35 to get the free slowpoke shipping, and the items sat in the warehouse doing nothing until they finally shipped out a week later. The actual transit time was only three days. Why the delay on shipment? I have no idea. That experience certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,879,006 times
I dropped Amazon Prime after I realized that the prices weren't as competitive to the local market on many items I used to buy through Amazon. But mainly I dropped it because of the switch from UPS to USPS. My local USPS is terrible and Prime shipped items either wouldn't get here in 2 days or wouldn't get here at all (lost). UPS was great, USPS was unreliable and they would often deliver incorrectly (get someone else's stuff).

So after I dropped Prime... my items would take between 8-25 days to get to my post office box (and sometimes, they'd just lose the package then find it later). Nothing would arrive within 5 days. Ever. They would take several days before they'd ship in stock items (which other stores would ship that day or the next, sometimes 2 days tops).

So I gave up. USPS wins. My relationship with Amazon is over which is unfortunate for Amazon as I'd fork out 3K+ a year for 12 years easy. Their prices aren't as good, the merchants can be shady, and I'm coming across more questionable reviews on products. On top of the slow shipping (in my area), it's just not how it once was for me.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:28 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,189,343 times
I agree, totally, mommabear, about USPS vs UPS/FedEx. I've asked Amazon, several times, to ship merchandise to me via UPS/FedEx and I even offered to pay additional shipping charges. Amazon's stock answer is that it has no control over how items are shipped -- that those decisions are made on-the-spot in the Shipping Dept. Amazon's awesome Customer Service Dept is offset by its Shipping Dept, which is the absolute worst with which I've dealt in 10,000+ orders all over the internet.

Just in the past month, USPS has mis-delivered 5 Amazon packages that were addressed to me. in one case, there were two Amazon boxes to be delivered on the same day and the mailman delivered one correctly, but then delivered the other to an apartment complex 20 minutes later. (I've lived in the same single-family house for 35 years.) Fortunately, in most cases, the recipient was honest enough to bring the box to me within a few days. And, in 2 cases, the recipient gave the boxes back to the mailman to re-deliver correctly.

That's why I've stopped ordering anything of value from Amazon. And I always wait a week or so before notifying Amazon because too many returns or too many complaints may cause Amazon to ban a buyer.

And I also agree with you about how Amazon just isnt what it used to be. I'm considering trying out jet.com. I've seen its TV ads and read good things about its product selection and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I dropped Amazon Prime after I realized that the prices weren't as competitive to the local market on many items I used to buy through Amazon. But mainly I dropped it because of the switch from UPS to USPS. My local USPS is terrible and Prime shipped items either wouldn't get here in 2 days or wouldn't get here at all (lost). UPS was great, USPS was unreliable and they would often deliver incorrectly (get someone else's stuff).

So after I dropped Prime... my items would take between 8-25 days to get to my post office box (and sometimes, they'd just lose the package then find it later). Nothing would arrive within 5 days. Ever. They would take several days before they'd ship in stock items (which other stores would ship that day or the next, sometimes 2 days tops).

So I gave up. USPS wins. My relationship with Amazon is over which is unfortunate for Amazon as I'd fork out 3K+ a year for 12 years easy. Their prices aren't as good, the merchants can be shady, and I'm coming across more questionable reviews on products. On top of the slow shipping (in my area), it's just not how it once was for me.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:09 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,297,559 times
Wow, I hadn't noticed that they changed from using UPS to the crappy US postal service. That, combined with sitting on orders for a long time before shipping, was a really bad move. I order a LOT from amazon, and this could cause me to go elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,222,109 times
I ordered Prime for $67 dollars on the daily deal for the Emmy Amazon won. I did receive one USPS box and it was a USPS flat rate box but was shipped for my prime order. ( half of my prime order was- 1 box prime UPS, the other was USPS flat rate box and both were for one Amazon order)

In Celebration of Five Wins from the 67th Primetime Emmys, Amazon Offers Prime Memberships for Just $67 - MarketWatch

Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 PM

28,069 posts, read 16,329,186 times
I found out about Amazon Student so I used my school e-mail and got it for $53.99 a year after an initial 6-month trial. That said, I've seen a few issues even with the free two-day shipping every once in a while (two back-to-back orders.) Otherwise, I am satisfied with my usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products