U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,878,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I agree, totally, mommabear, about USPS vs UPS/FedEx. I've asked Amazon, several times, to ship merchandise to me via UPS/FedEx and I even offered to pay additional shipping charges. Amazon's stock answer is that it has no control over how items are shipped -- that those decisions are made on-the-spot in the Shipping Dept. Amazon's awesome Customer Service Dept is offset by its Shipping Dept, which is the absolute worst with which I've dealt in 10,000+ orders all over the internet.

Just in the past month, USPS has mis-delivered 5 Amazon packages that were addressed to me. in one case, there were two Amazon boxes to be delivered on the same day and the mailman delivered one correctly, but then delivered the other to an apartment complex 20 minutes later. (I've lived in the same single-family house for 35 years.) Fortunately, in most cases, the recipient was honest enough to bring the box to me within a few days. And, in 2 cases, the recipient gave the boxes back to the mailman to re-deliver correctly.

That's why I've stopped ordering anything of value from Amazon. And I always wait a week or so before notifying Amazon because too many returns or too many complaints may cause Amazon to ban a buyer.

And I also agree with you about how Amazon just isnt what it used to be. I'm considering trying out jet.com. I've seen its TV ads and read good things about its product selection and service.
Your problems sound as big as mine re: Amazon and USPS.

I've inquired about having my orders sent only UPS and it was a no go for me too. I'm sure they could do it if they want to, but I bet it comes down to cost with them. USPS is just cheaper on smaller sized items. I think they'll use UPS if it's a bigger box.

USPS just doesn't care if they lose something and if you buy from a merchant of Amazon (not directly from Amazon) the merchant may leave you to shoulder the cost (which then means you'll have to dispute charges with Amazon).

I had an expensive textbook that was labeled "delivered" to my PO BOX by USPS (which it wasn't). The postal worker said, "you're husband probably picked it up because it shows delivered and there's nothing we can do." I may have yelled at them for that one. I went to the Amazon merchant who said "we can't control how the carrier handles it. You can make a claim with USPS . Sorry." I had to dispute their policy with Amazon. A week later (three weeks after it was supposed to be delivered) USPS found my "delivered" package along with a stack of lost mail in the back of their facility. Morons.

I had to go back and withdraw my dispute with the merchant but I still pointed out that USPS is known for being unreliable and apathetic and the merchant should take that into consideration before making Amazon's customers shoulder the cost for USPS incompetence.

I've looked at Jet.com. I found that big box stores are trying to be comparable and places like Target (online and instore) will price match (and give a discount) for certain items (even Amazon

https://corporate.target.com/_media/...titor-List.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,293,657 times
USPS is becoming more and more like a caricature of USPS, like the stuff we used to make up as a joke about them is now actually true and normal for them. Amazon is going to lose its customer confidence if they stick with USPS.

I can't even get the postal service to stop delivering other people's mail to me. I never once received someone else's package from FedEx or UPS. Now they get entrusted with hundreds of dollars of my merchandise?

Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM

15,237 posts, read 20,182,538 times
Again, it says something about USPS' delivery accuracy, or lack thereof, that USPS is now using a GPS-like tracker to determine exactly where a mailman was when he delivered a package. They are using this for finding mis-delivered packages.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM

28,027 posts, read 16,321,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
USPS is becoming more and more like a caricature of USPS, like the stuff we used to make up as a joke about them is now actually true and normal for them. Amazon is going to lose its customer confidence if they stick with USPS.

I can't even get the postal service to stop delivering other people's mail to me. I never once received someone else's package from FedEx or UPS. Now they get entrusted with hundreds of dollars of my merchandise?
I rarely get that in my hometown to be honest, we have a good postal delivery-er. Not saying that you can't have a bad person or your area is bad in general, but it depends on where you are and the employees they hire by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products