U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 PM

28,048 posts, read 16,329,186 times

Advertisements

In light of a recent unacceptable experience in a Best Buy, I have to ask if it is acceptable to ever lie to customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:52 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Lying is not acceptable for anyone.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In light of a recent unacceptable experience in a Best Buy, I have to ask if it is acceptable to ever lie to customers?
Of course it's acceptable, just like it's acceptable to say the dress don't make her look fat!

There are times it's not good business practice and other times when its an expected part of smart business practices.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:03 AM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
People are people, some are more prone to lying than others. Are we talking along the lines of "it's out of stock"(because I'm too lazy to check the stockroom) or something else?
Is it possible that the employee was simply misinformed about something? Or some misunderstanding? What makes you think you were lied to?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People are people, some are more prone to lying than others. Are we talking along the lines of "it's out of stock"(because I'm too lazy to check the stockroom) or something else?
Is it possible that the employee was simply misinformed about something? Or some misunderstanding? What makes you think you were lied to?
The employee (a Samsung employee that worked in the Best Buy) mentioned a Samsung Tab A was in stock with "tons" but when I asked the Best Buy employee, they had none. I'm sorry but they are representing Best Buy. Perhaps it is misinformed but it still is wrong to say one thing that deceives the customer and it is the opposite.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The employee (a Samsung employee that worked in the Best Buy) mentioned a Samsung Tab A was in stock with "tons" but when I asked the Best Buy employee, they had none. I'm sorry but they are representing Best Buy. Perhaps it is misinformed but it still is wrong to say one thing that deceives the customer and it is the opposite.
I'm not sure how or why a samsung employee would know what a best buy had in stock, but let me give you a couple of possibles.

*Sometimes a store will order a lot of an item and then split the shipment out with other nearby stores. For instance if the minimum order of an item is sixty pieces, but some of the slower stores aren't like to sell that many they will get together with other stores to make one order. When the product comes in, the store that did the ordering splits the order up and sends some out to the other stores. Maybe the store you went to already sold whatever quantity they actually had for their store.
*The product was ordered for an ad (and Black Friday mdse is hitting stores right about now) and is being kept back for that ad. It's kept in a separate area and is unavailable until the ad breaks. Technically they don't have it 'in stock' if it's being held in reserve for a specific date.
* The employee made a mistake. Maybe the items were misplaced in the stockroom and the employee couldn't find it. People aren't always perfect, haven't you ever made a mistake at work? That doesn't make it a lie or an attempt at deception.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:45 AM

I get that, I know I am not exactly the best but I don't go and tell someone something that I know isn't true or unsure of. Stock is pretty fluid and causes you to check and check and check again to make sure you have it if a customer asks. If I previously checked the stock, well I can tell you that I already checked when another customer previously asked but that is because I already knew the answer. This Samsung employee didn't have that knowledge shouldn't make that kind of claim period. He can't ring up the sale, he's just there as a product expert...

Now for the ordering issues, those are possible but if it communicated to employees and they do that, it is deceptive, if they don't then than that is a problem of ineptitude by management for not sending out the information.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:49 PM

I'm still a little confused by this. If the samsung guy is just a rep he's probably not employed by best buy. Our reps at our stores are not employed by us but work for whatever manufacturer they represent. They get their communication from their companies, their bosses. Communication with them is pretty minimal and if you had a rep tell you something that was incorrect you might want to let the manager of best buy know about it. It's probably not a problem with best buy, but with samsung for not properly training the rep.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Yeah.
So the store did not lie at all.
An employee at the store did not lie.

A product rep was incorrect in the amount of stock that he/she thought the store had.
The product might have sold out since the last inventory.
The product might have been misplaced.
etc.
Saying he/she was deliberately lying is a bit extreme....

Old 10-17-2015, 01:33 PM

11,615 posts, read 20,774,393 times
Just my 2 cents worth, the Samsung person probably wasn't a Samsung employee - most, if not all, of the companies use a merchandising company to handle their product(s) in stores such as Best Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products