U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM

28,027 posts, read 16,321,872 times

Advertisements

Lowball, scam and spam are your likely culprets OP. I've used Craigslist for other things namely jobs and sometimes they reply, sometimes they don't. Of the sometimes they reply, it can end up in the spam folder fairly easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 PM

2,746 posts, read 4,013,749 times
Craigslist is full of game players. I get responses and they say "i will come get it today" or something like that. Then i reply back with "what time?" and you never hear from them again.

They are so excited for the item yet they never reply back or go through with the purchase. The problem is anonymity and the site being free. If they charged to use the site it would weed out a ton of game players because people aren't going to enter in their credit card numbers to play games. When money is on the line people are generally serious.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,723,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I wish I knew what was wrong with my CL responses. I don't even get spam when I post, which tells me something is wrong. I have posted the same items several times but don't know what is going on, whether it is AOL or the CL server. I would love to hear from anyone who knows how to fix this problem as I have several items to post but don't because I don't think I'm getting any inquiries.

However, I agree that some people stop responding when their items are sold. In the past, when I did get responses, I would just copy a message thanking them for their time and letting them know that the item was gone and quickly deleted the post.
Do you include multiple good, clear photos? And for some items, I think it helps to include measurements. When I have sold furniture, I always included those.

I also tell people to email their phone number. I found that people who would do that were more serious.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,604,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Do you include multiple good, clear photos? And for some items, I think it helps to include measurements. When I have sold furniture, I always included those.

I also tell people to email their phone number. I found that people who would do that were more serious.
Thanks you, I will try to find a way around the problem

I think that since I don't even get spam, that people either can't see my post or a server is blocking their responses. Two years ago I sold several items on CL but one day, something changed. If anyone has a clue I would appreciate it as, after I weeded out the nonsense, I did meet some real people and had great conversations during out exchanges. Not everyone is a crook but,

A few of my rules:

Never meet at night.

Never meet in an isolated area.

Never respond to someone saying they are interested in my "item". If they can't name it, they can't claim it.

Take someone else with you if possible. One person wanted to meet but as soon he saw my DH he ran away. Wonder what that was about.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,232,507 times
Probably a good 40-50% of those ads are fake, and they really have nothing to sell. CL is the cheapest and easiest way to do scams and identity theft, without the security or feedback of Ebay and others, so it's a scammer's paradise. I have actually bought a car on CL, but when the person actually answered, and they met me at their work just blocks from where I work, it was much more likely to be legit.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:58 AM

8,949 posts, read 19,770,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Craigslist is full of game players. I get responses and they say "i will come get it today" or something like that. Then i reply back with "what time?" and you never hear from them again.

They are so excited for the item yet they never reply back or go through with the purchase. The problem is anonymity and the site being free. If they charged to use the site it would weed out a ton of game players because people aren't going to enter in their credit card numbers to play games. When money is on the line people are generally serious.

This is my biggest pet peeve: the buyers who can't/won't read the ad that clearly states available times and dates and insist on meeting when you're not available. I try to be as nice as possible, but sometimes a "Read the F-ing ad!!!" slips right off my finger tips especially after 4 emails over a week's time and they just can't understand the Monday's don't work for me.

Facebook has a 'buy sell trade' page for our area....I've used that with great success.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:06 AM

8,162 posts, read 3,668,457 times
Lots of scammers on Craigslist. I stay away.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
As a seller I don't reply if you sound the least bit shady or like you're going to waste my time.

For electronics, you need to be local, have cash, and be ready to actually close on the purchase in a timely manner.

I used to breed rats and would get tons of messages from people who only wanted one (rats are highly social animals, one is not acceptable) or wanted to haggle on price (they cost much much more than a pet store rat because I don't want them to wind up as snake food).

Old 10-28-2015, 09:07 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,141,110 times
I've bought and sold from Craigslist, often successfully. It helps to try to choose ads that include a telephone number. I will say that so far I have never found any outright scams - mostly just people who are rude in terms of not replying, as you say.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:09 PM

36,770 posts, read 11,099,907 times
I've sold a few things, and immediately remove the listings. I request texts only and, if I'm not willing to haggle, state the price as "firm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or