U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:31 PM

848 posts, read 1,703,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I mean it is so aggravating to reply to an ad on craigslist and then no one ever gets back with you . I'm wondering if they just put the ad up to see how many replies they can get ? I mean how many of you have actually been able to buy something off craigslist . I have never been able to get anything off there because people either a.) don't respond to you through email or any other form . B.) they are not really in the area they say they are . C. ) they really don't have the item and are just putting an ad up for some sick twisted reason . I mean honestly if you don't want to sell said item then don't put an ad up . I wanted a really nice rocker off there and no one ever replied back .

I think part of the issue is lazy listers who sell their item and don't bother to remove the listing.

If it's a high interest item the lister may have many emails and work their way down the list which could take a week or more if appointments are involved.

Patience is the key to Craigslist. It's been a great platform for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 PM
exm

2,273 posts, read 774,392 times
It depends. Sometimes I get dozens of replies in. Really no point in replying to all of them. Sometimes I ask to reply with an email address or phone number, and people don't read my request.

CL works. Just be fast to respond, be flexible, read what's been asked and you're good to go. Oh, and proper English helps also. I don't speak Spanish, sorry.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,141,593 times
Can't help adding to this with my latest experience. I've been trying to buy a used TV on CL, and I have twice been through a lengthy back-and-forth with the seller (people's ads are so poorly written that you have to keep asking for information, like model numbers), and they were good about replying, and then, after everything was all set, and we'd arranged to come by ... dead silence. Didn't answer the phone, didn't reply to emails.

Now, really, what's with that? If you've sold it from underneath me, can't you have the decency to say so?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 938 times
Default Then don't sell it or...

put in the ad that this is price is firm. These ads I never respond to. I will always ask for lower price. When I sell I wish people would ask for lower price as opposed to me not selling it at all. Asking for reduced price has been going on since caveman days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
(nothing against you OP)

I don't respond when folks try to low-ball. When I post an ad for an item that i'm willing to sell for $25, I get numerous replies asking if I want to sell for $10, $5, $15, $24.99+1/2 cent, etc......

I really want to reply, "I SAID $25 DAMMIT IF YOU CAN'T GET UP OFF OF THAT KEEP EFFIN' LOOKIN!!!!" (angry much? haha)

But I keep remembering what my mom said, "If you can't say anything nice....."

Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,742,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks
Craigslist is a hassle, but it's often worth it for the bargain.
I know for me it was thankfully........ I couldnt find the same CRT monitor I was looking for anywhere else and I was quite desperate!!

The guy was surprised to get someone from 800 miles away on his ad as he told me craigslist is usually only LOCAL.. (Not like Ebay or amazon,etc)

Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 AM

5 posts, read 2,556 times
I have experience of selling few things on Craigslist and most of time people respond on time and deal quickly to buy my products.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 834 times
I love craigslist and I have used it to buy and sell lots of stuff over the years. Maybe it's my frequency of buying and selling that puts me in contact with so many weird A holes! I've had lots of spammers ask about wanting to know the current state of my "item". That's not who I'm talking about (I do enjoy messing with those people though and making them think I'm actually going to give them the money they're fishing for). I'm talking about those people that will text with you for a while and then when it comes to nailing down the details of the meet so I can give them money for the thing they're selling, they disappear. I actually scheduled a meet with a guy inside walmart so I could buy a power cable for the tv I was buying from him. I got there early to find the cable and saw the guy holding the tv in his hands. A 32 in Samsung with very specific stickers on the stand and bezel. I was like hey whats up. I'm the guy that's here to buy the tv. He acted like he had no clue what I was talking about. Then I called him on his cell phone with my cell phone while he was walking away and he answered. I asked him why he's a weirdo and why he wasted my time. He hung up in clear view of me and literally ran out of the store with the tv. I love the person who won't put any real contact info, but won't respond to the CL relay email either. I've had people send me to an address that wasn't theirs (I guess to mess with the resident or just me). I love the person who seems annoyed that I called or texted about their thing for sale because it already sold....but the same post is still up a week later. Of course I inquire about it again. Then I let them know they'll stop getting calls and texts if they just take the post down. Some people are A holes and just don't respond to inquiries once their item has sold...but that's not always the case. I travel for work and will find cool stuff on CL as I'm traveling through a city or an area. I'll call or text. I've gotten texts back from people 3 and 1/2 weeks later finally saying "yup, I still have it". Great! That would have been awesome to know weeks ago when I was there! I've gotten a lot of great stuff through craigslist. I've even gotten a lot of free stuff (really good stuff)! Today I had 2 really good experiences and I think I'm ready to stick a fork in a weeks long bad one. I sold a Rainbow vac to a nice couple who didn't even ask me to take less money. I got a free working lawnmower. Great! The bad? I've been waiting to buy a big PA system from a dude for 2 months now. When we first chatted we talked about what would be included and we hammered out a price. Cool. It's a 3 hour drive for me to get there, but I'm ready whenever he is. He said I couldn't come right away because he was leaving to go see his ailing father in another state. It would be a couple of weeks. We texted a couple more times but now he doesn't respond anymore and again it's been 2 months! Too bad he's a weird A hole. That system looked pretty sweet.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 PM

19,124 posts, read 19,976,119 times
Please use some paragraph breaks to make it easier to read.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 103 times
Default Craigslist Non-Replies

While I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt- that sellers mean to alert everyone but get overwhelmed. Closer to the truth is some of the people working with Craigslist are just plain slobs...and the easy format invites them. I once posted a 'rant' about the issue and received hate mail from lunatics who sent them "just because they can". The replies had nothing to do with my criticism.

Like a big box store, Craigslist put small services out of business then locked everyone into having to use them for many issues... with an open door policy for every nutcase with nothing else to do. I'll probably get much of the same on here for posting this. Whatever!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM

20,534 posts, read 20,520,186 times
Old thread but...I always put in my ad that if the item isn't gone they are seeing it and that I always delete it once sold.
Still get plenty of "Is it still available?"
I also state that I will not respond to that question.
I do understand that way too many people do not remove their ads but...……..if they read mine.....
I have asked for additional information that should have been there in the first place...like size, but generally haven't had too much of a bad experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or