U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM

14,139 posts, read 19,294,893 times

Advertisements

I mean it is so aggravating to reply to an ad on craigslist and then no one ever gets back with you . I'm wondering if they just put the ad up to see how many replies they can get ? I mean how many of you have actually been able to buy something off craigslist . I have never been able to get anything off there because people either a.) don't respond to you through email or any other form . B.) they are not really in the area they say they are . C. ) they really don't have the item and are just putting an ad up for some sick twisted reason . I mean honestly if you don't want to sell said item then don't put an ad up . I wanted a really nice rocker off there and no one ever replied back .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,557,514 times
A lot of times replies go to the spam folder, people wont check their emails (they prefer texts), and other times they sell the item but either forget or dont bother to remove the ad.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:11 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
I have been told that once the item sells, the seller ignores all inquiries.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 8 days ago)

15,486 posts, read 8,974,526 times
Craigslist is a hassle, but it's often worth it for the bargain. I go on there to buy used furniture and exercise equipment, and the sellers rarely sell those kinds of items quickly. Thus, if the ad is still up, the item is most likely still available. I can spot scam ads pretty easily, so I don't bother responding to those. The thing I find most frustrating are sellers who have ads up and after speaking to them tell you they can't show you the item for a week or two weeks. That doesn't work for me. The reason I'm calling is because I want to buy whatever thing NOW, not 12 days from now. And that's what I tell them. "Thanks, but I don't want to wait until next Thursday to see it. I'm a serious buyer, so I'll just go and buy another one."

Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM

11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
There are many unscrupulous posters on CL as well that are just email searching in order to generate spam. What I HATE is the ad(s) that the same person/company posts 50+ times/day EVERY day.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 PM

9,685 posts, read 8,139,993 times
I have never had a problem buying or selling on craigslist.
I read the ad very carefully.
Some people are very explicit about what the email should say. If it doesn't have the right words in the title, they delete it.
some people specify that they will accept phone calls only (that is what my ads say. If you send an email, I will not answer, and I do not accept text messages).
Some people request text only, or say that text are not accepted.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:55 PM

188 posts, read 135,662 times
I've sold a few things on craigslist. I respond to everyone, but I usually sell it within a few days.

I have the decency to take the ad off once I sell it.

I could see there being sick twisted people who actually aren't selling anything posting ads.

Just like there are job postings but companies that aren't really hiring!!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:16 PM

486 posts, read 663,892 times
I listed an old CRT tube TV for Free on CL and got like 10+ responses in a few hours. I gave it to the first person who emailed and then just deleted the rest of the emails. I should have ask for $20 for the TV. If item are priced to low or are free then you can get dozens of emails for a single item.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:00 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,604,122 times
I wish I knew what was wrong with my CL responses. I don't even get spam when I post, which tells me something is wrong. I have posted the same items several times but don't know what is going on, whether it is AOL or the CL server. I would love to hear from anyone who knows how to fix this problem as I have several items to post but don't because I don't think I'm getting any inquiries.

However, I agree that some people stop responding when their items are sold. In the past, when I did get responses, I would just copy a message thanking them for their time and letting them know that the item was gone and quickly deleted the post.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:00 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,103,253 times
(nothing against you OP)

I don't respond when folks try to low-ball. When I post an ad for an item that i'm willing to sell for $25, I get numerous replies asking if I want to sell for $10, $5, $15, $24.99+1/2 cent, etc......

I really want to reply, "I SAID $25 DAMMIT IF YOU CAN'T GET UP OFF OF THAT KEEP EFFIN' LOOKIN!!!!" (angry much? haha)

But I keep remembering what my mom said, "If you can't say anything nice....."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or