Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:40 PM

99 posts, read 71,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I'm thinking the next step is to put a pistol on them ?
I doubt it. Walmart carries the policy of "the customer is always right" a little too far.

Walmart has very strict rules on apprehending/accusing shop lifters and many have lost their job for crossing the line on those strict regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Stopped in at the local Wal-Mart the other day, and to my surprise, they had private, uniformed Security Guards at the entrance/exit, instead of usual in-house Wal-Mart employees. Has anyone else noticed this?
My store hasn't done this. We still have our greeters at the doors and our in house asset protection people. Maybe it has to do with the location of the store? If it's in a higher crime area or something?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Walmart did away with greeters years ago. During Christmas I've seen Walmarts hire off duty local police officers for security. They still have their plain clothes loss prevention folks looking at you with all those cameras in the stores.
I believe that WAS the plan but I never figured out why. For a while the greeters were stationed further into the store but then moved back to the entrances. In any event the stores DO still have their greeters...at least all the ones I've been in. We do have beefed up security/town cops for Black Friday but that's about the only time I've seen that.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
The one I go to still has a greeter, sort of. Most of the time it seems their job is to check receipts in a similar way that Sam's club does.
The only time my store checks receipts is if the alarm goes off or there are large items in the bottom of the basket. The latter is done just to make sure that the cashiers didn't miss ringing them up. It would be a real pain to check every customer.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Some stores have greeters, others don't. If I remember correctly, and I may not, greeters were cut company wide during the recession. It annoyed me because I was looking forward to being one when I retired, which I did this summer.

As others have mentioned, hiring an outside company for security is likely cheaper than having an in-house function.

Having said that, I've never seen uniformed security at any Wal Marts I've been to.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The only time my store checks receipts is if the alarm goes off or there are large items in the bottom of the basket. The latter is done just to make sure that the cashiers didn't miss ringing them up. It would be a real pain to check every customer.
Hi AZDesertBrat, Found this on the net this AM.

Yahoo!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Hi AZDesertBrat, Found this on the net this AM.

Yahoo!
Hmmmm, interesting! Hadn't heard anything about that but, just being a lowly cashier peon, Walmart doesn't usually run their plans by me. lol

One thing I'm wondering about though. If we have to start matching Amazon's prices HOW are we going to know if the price we are given is for real? As of now we have print ads from all the stores to compare to but Amazon?? Maybe they'll have to use their cell phones to show us the price? Lord, one more thing to deal with.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog Democrat View Post
I doubt it. Walmart carries the policy of "the customer is always right" a little too far.

Walmart has very strict rules on apprehending/accusing shop lifters and many have lost their job for crossing the line on those strict regulations.
I agree with you about Walmart's "the customer is always right" thing but, even if they aren't they ARE always "the customer". Walmart does bend over backward to assure customer satisfaction and people DO try to take advantage of it. Sometimes I let them and sometimes I don't.

You're right about Walmart's rules for apprehension of shop lifters too. The funniest thing I have ever seen at my store was one day when a brand new AP employee ran after a guy and pushed him into a huge display of watermelons by the door. They went all over the place, the guy jumped up and ran out the door, and the AP guy stood there yelling at him! lol He was fired 15 minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products