U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 658,516 times

Advertisements

Stopped in at the local Wal-Mart the other day, and to my surprise, they had private, uniformed Security Guards at the entrance/exit, instead of usual in-house Wal-Mart employees. Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Stopped in at the local Wal-Mart the other day, and to my surprise, they had private, uniformed Security Guards at the entrance/exit, instead of usual in-house Wal-Mart employees. Has anyone else noticed this?
It's called in-sourcing. It turns that part of Payroll into a fixed expense that is not part of the stores payroll. Still American jobs.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 PM

9,573 posts, read 12,516,973 times
To clarify so we are all on the same page:

In-Source: To use personnel from within the company to fill voids in personnel. Example is a company has people employed in telecommunications operations. When a operator's position becomes available, the company does not fill it with a new dedicated operator employee but rather uses those hired as receptionist to fill in the voids. The personnel are still internal employees of the company.

Out-Source: To use personnel from an outside source to fill positions or needs within a company. Example, instead of hiring or retaining employees to be switchboard operators, they contract with an outside company to provide operator services either in house or through he contractors offices. The personnel are not employees of the company.

Off-Shore: Same as In and/or Out-Sourcing but the jobs are sent to a company or utilizes personnel located outside the United States.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 10-21-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Insourcing is defined as bringing a third party outsourcer to work inside a company's facility.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
We used to have greeters in my local Walmart, but they haven't had anyone in the lobby for several years. The former greeters seem to have different tasks within the store.

Having the greeters was a nice touch. They'd have a cart ready for people as they came in and always sounded their hearty, ''Welcome to Walmart."

Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 AM

862 posts, read 797,208 times
The Walmart down the street from us still uses their own people when it comes to security though honestly they would be better off using private uniform guards. My other half a few weeks ago saw their so-called security staff go after an elderly woman who couldn't show them a receipt for the copy of People Magazine she had with her and yet right behind them he saw two adults with buggy in tow grab a bunch of snacks and a big screen TV set only to run out of the store without paying for them. The security people didn't even bother with them as they were focused more on that old lady and her magazine. When he told one of their managers about what he had witnessed even they admitted that their security "sucks". Not really a surprise there since one of our neighbors was once a pharmacy tech at that store. Apparently according to him the person in charge of security of that store for some reason was obsessed with the pharmacy staff such as spending hours and more hours everyday watching videos of the pharmacy staff of that Walmart and keeping track as to how long they take their lunches and breaks. He was telling me that not a day went by when she didn't go to the pharmacy screaming at the staff about how they should be demoted to "part-time" and how they are wasting "man-power hours" despite the fact that the store has a severe theft problem in the other departments.

Meanwhile many of the other chains in our neighborhood including Kroger, Kohls even Petco do have private guards and I doubt very much that they only focus on one small part of the store or elderly customers.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:01 AM

11,288 posts, read 12,821,541 times
Walmart did away with greeters years ago. During Christmas I've seen Walmarts hire off duty local police officers for security. They still have their plain clothes loss prevention folks looking at you with all those cameras in the stores.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 PM

275 posts, read 257,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Walmart did away with greeters years ago. During Christmas I've seen Walmarts hire off duty local police officers for security. They still have their plain clothes loss prevention folks looking at you with all those cameras in the stores.
The one I go to still has a greeter, sort of. Most of the time it seems their job is to check receipts in a similar way that Sam's club does.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM

99 posts, read 56,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Been to many Walmarts recently in different parts of the US.

I have always seen greeters.....INSIDE...the store.

I doubt your claim as Walmart policy on greeters comes from the top down and I doubt Walmart would allow stores in Colorado to ignore their directive from Walmart headquarters.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,721,892 times
I'm thinking the next step is to put a pistol on them ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or