U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:38 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,709,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I dont understand the OP's feeling, but (s)he's certainly not alone.

'Blind with rage': Pepsi Perfect shortage infuriates 'Back to the Future' fans - CNET
See, I'm not the only one.

I finally got a response back from when I wrote them:

Quote:
Thank you for your request for product information.

We currently do not expect to have Pepsi Perfect bottles. It is my understanding they will be just 6500 worldwide. If we ever have them they will be posted on our website. The website is a direct reflection of all available items and sizes we offer for sale. Artists' merchandise is limited to the items, colors and sizes listed in our online store. If you are looking for an item or size that is not displayed for sale on the website, then we currently do not stock that item or size and have no information as to other retail outlets that might carry it, or if we will stock it in the future. If an item is pictured, but does not include an option for purchase, then we do not currently stock that item. Be sure to check the website regularly to see if specific items or sizes become available.
If only Coca-Cola had been featured in the movie than Pepsi - they'd make as many as people want, I'm sure of it.

I just don't understand the idea of "limited edition" - timewise, yes, but damn, limiting the quantity to 6500 worldwide is just insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:49 PM

321 posts, read 271,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, this has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I'm so sorry that I have a life and things to do and wasn't able to check on this until 5 pm this afternoon. I shouldn't have to "rush" to buy anything, unless it's a concert or a sporting event, which this is not.

Let's just say I'm not going to be a fan of Pepsi for quite some time.

Thank God I live in Atlanta, the home of Coca-Cola.
Supply, meet demand.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 PM

19,133 posts, read 19,978,923 times
More news.

Pepsi Perfect promotion fail sparks social media backlash on

Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,539,384 times
Quote:
I thought Pepsi would release a special edition of Pepsi Perfect to celebrate Back to the Future day, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. I did find a twitter page that said they sold out a batch last night, but more would go on sale at 9 am this morning, but I don't see anything, anywhere, where I can buy one.

I think I fell for a total hoax.

Thanks, Pepsi, for making me feel like a total goofball.

I won't be drinking any Pepsi products for a while, that's for sure.

Pepsi will be heartbroken.

On the other hand, they might have done this specifically to target you.

Maybe you should demand that they give you the meeting notes where they planned the whole elaborate hoax in order to make you feel like a "goofball."

Then sue them for ruining your life.

Or, you could just buy something else and get on with your life.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Cool stuff.

What I don't understand is that they *knew* there would be a colossal demand for these things, and people were chomping at the bit to buy these - and yet they spat on these fans by allocating a minuscule 6500 bottles. In case anyone at Pepsi doesn't realize it, this is not 1980's Soviet Union. This is the USA, where people are accustomed to being able to buy what they want, when they want, and at the advertised price. If you advertise something for sale, you damn very well have enough for everyone, or you're gonna have a whole lotta people upset at you.

Why is this very basic concept of business so difficult to understand? What do they teach in business schools these days anyhow?

Hopefully this little fiasco will provide fodder for a bright young graduate student for his or her thesis someday. It'd be fascinating reading.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Anybody read the comments on the Amazon page? They're hilarious. And it's so nice to know that I have plenty of company - I'm most certainly not in the wrong for feeling dissed about this - numbers don't lie.

Here's a nice one I hope the folks at PepsiCo get a chance to read:

Quote:
This marketing blunder will be taught in universities for 100 years. Pepsi missed a HUGE opportunity and had 30 years to prepare!
It's true - professors worldwide will use this as a "perfect" teaching tool for many, many years to come.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Part of the reason it sold out so fast was because their was a limited supply. If Pepsi announced "Pepsi Perfect" as a new product that they would be making an unlimited supply of, why would people then rush to buy it? And why would people pay $20.15 for a bottle of soda that anyone and everyone could buy?

Its just Pepsi made with real sugar, which is a real Pepsi product. You don't see people going out in droves to buy it though. Pepsi didn't even have to put out a special Back to the Future Pepsi, they just thought it would be a fun, limited edition product to do for today.
If you really want one, go on Ebay and get one for $200-$300.

Looks like they sold them for a pretty good profit then.
Hi OP you could go get a Mexican Pepsi down the street for .65 and drink that...

Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM

7,848 posts, read 8,379,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
This is a weird post.

Darn you sports arenas that only give the free promotional baseball caps to the first 500 people through the gates! They should be available even if I arrive there halfway through the game!
Because wanting to buy something is the same as trying to get something for free.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 PM

7,848 posts, read 8,379,915 times
Quote:
Cool stuff.

What I don't understand is that they *knew* there would be a colossal demand for these things, and people were chomping at the bit to buy these - and yet they spat on these fans by allocating a minuscule 6500 bottles. In case anyone at Pepsi doesn't realize it, this is not 1980's Soviet Union. This is the USA, where people are accustomed to being able to buy what they want, when they want, and at the advertised price. If you advertise something for sale, you damn very well have enough for everyone, or you're gonna have a whole lotta people upset at you.

Why is this very basic concept of business so difficult to understand? What do they teach in business schools these days anyhow?

Hopefully this little fiasco will provide fodder for a bright young graduate student for his or her thesis someday. It'd be fascinating reading.
I think you have a valid point but it also a lose lose for companies. If they made a million of them they probably would have sold out just as fast and if not you someone else would be here complaining. Same with 2 mil, 3 mil etc.

6500 is kind of silly but I think we'd be here regardless of how many the produced.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:42 PM

9,966 posts, read 7,576,425 times
Quote:
What gets me why they would only produce 6500 of these when they could have sold a million or more.

At least I'll have another chance on November 3rd - I wonder how many they'll sell then...lol.
Quote:
Cool stuff.

because in another 30 years, since there will only have been 13000 produced, they will be far more rare. And, therefore worth far more money.

So, when you're watching Pawn Stars in 2045 and someone comes walking in with one of them..

The 1964 1/2 Mustang.. Why does that car sell for so much more than a 65 mustang? Because there were only 120k or so produced, while the 65 had over half a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products