U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 PM

590 posts, read 544,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I like that the stuff is out early too.
I find it much more pleasant to shop over several months rather than try to squeeze everything into several weeks.

How many people do you shop for? I shop for my wife and 3 kids and my parents. The in laws don't get any of my money....I've seen how they treat their belongings and other material objects others gift to them. I'd rather buy clothes and toys for my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 8,055,457 times
Default Christmas music in stores already??!!

I was shopping today and they were already playing "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer." So now we have to endure Christmas music until Dec. 25th?? That means for almost 2 months, 1/6 of the entire year, we have to listen to the same songs we hear year after year. Think about it. I'm over 60. I've been listening to these same songs since I was a kid. That means, if we figure just one month of Christmas songs each year, that means I have had Christmas songs beat into my head for almost 5 complete years of my life. Enough already. HELP!!!!! Anyone else feel like Yelling, Bah, HUMBUG!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 889,229 times
That's awesome! I say the earlier the better! Anything to prolong this wonderful time of year! Once my wife takes down the Halloween decorations the Christmas decorations go up, bring it on!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 PM

7,213 posts, read 8,374,729 times
Yep, soon as the Halloween merchandise is cleared out, the Christmas stuff is out on the shelves! I was out yesterday and saw some little red and green mesh Christmas stockings of candy out on display, but thankfully, none of the music yet!

I'm in my 60s also, and can remember the days when the season didn't start until Thanksgiving was over. Nowadays folks are killing each other at Wal-Mart before their dinners are digested - if they even bother with dinner any more.

It's all about the money...always was, but in the old days, retailers had enough class to keep that a secret. There are no more secrets nowadays. Too bad. Christmas is being attacked on both ends, from the PC crowd that claims Christians are irrelevant, to the merchants who nevertheless want us to dig deep into our pockets anyway. Ya can't win!

Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 AM

26,140 posts, read 24,911,876 times
Doesn't that start in October?

Old 11-04-2015, 12:25 AM

6,124 posts, read 7,074,648 times
Christmas decorations and music goes up on the 12th, down on New Years Eve. That's why we have the 12 days of Christmas. It isn't special if you spend 1/4 of the year on it.

And for the love of ghod will the trailer trash in the next block PLEASE not leave your fake, lit tree up all year.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was shopping today and they were already playing "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer." So now we have to endure Christmas music until Dec. 25th?? That means for almost 2 months, 1/6 of the entire year, we have to listen to the same songs we hear year after year. Think about it. I'm over 60. I've been listening to these same songs since I was a kid. That means, if we figure just one month of Christmas songs each year, that means I have had Christmas songs beat into my head for almost 5 complete years of my life. Enough already. HELP!!!!! Anyone else feel like Yelling, Bah, HUMBUG!!!
How would you like to WORK in a store that does that?? I do! Fortunately, after a while, you just don't 'hear' it anymore. Kinda like living next to train tracks. You get used to it.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Christmas decorations and music goes up on the 12th, down on New Years Eve. That's why we have the 12 days of Christmas. It isn't special if you spend 1/4 of the year on it.
If your going by the 12 days of Christmas, then decorations shouldn't go up till Christmas day.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM

22,939 posts, read 16,630,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
How many people do you shop for? I shop for my wife and 3 kids and my parents. The in laws don't get any of my money....I've seen how they treat their belongings and other material objects others gift to them. I'd rather buy clothes and toys for my kids.
If we are talking about presents, I shop primarily for my six grandkids, though I will pick up gifts for their parents if I see something that speaks to a specific interest of theirs.

Spending $15 or $20 on a gift when I am doing other shopping reduces both financial and emotional stress as I am making decisions in a much more considered manner. I am also much more likely to get the items I want to spend money on rather than feeling pressured to "just buy something."

Speaking more to the presence of decorations, etc. in the stores, I am always mentally decorating my home for Christmas. My decorations start to go up on the first Sunday of Advent and I want everything that I need to fulfill my vision in the house or garage ready to go.
I don't want to fight crowds or weather or any other variables.

Again, it is much less stressful all around to take advantage of early sales and product availability.

It makes for a much more relaxed holiday season.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM

26,140 posts, read 24,911,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If your going by the 12 days of Christmas, then decorations shouldn't go up till Christmas day.
Yes, I've heard many complain about "those people" who won't take down their Christmas lights on January 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products