Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:24 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised by this announcement today. I expected it after Target closed all 150 something stores, in Canada earlier this year. Then sold all its Pharmacies in its US stores to CVS. Then laid off numerous employees at its Minneapolis Headquarters. The chain is not doing very well, and I expect this is just the first round of closings.

I still think a new retailer needs to come into the picture. Enough of just Walmart and Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
The decision to close a Target store is only made after careful consideration of the long-term financial performance of a particular location.
This is not new, as other big stores, ie Walmart, Best Buy, etal have done the same for the same reasons.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm not surprised by this announcement today. I expected it after Target closed all 150 something stores, in Canada earlier this year. Then sold all its Pharmacies in its US stores to CVS. Then laid off numerous employees at its Minneapolis Headquarters. The chain is not doing very well, and I expect this is just the first round of closings.
The stores closing in Canada really have nothing to do with the US stores. It was a separate issue with inventory and pricing that they don't have in the US stores.

Considering Target has 1,800 stores in the US, closing less then 1% of their stores doesn't really seem like a big deal. They are poorly performing stores, why wouldn't they be closed?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The stores closing in Canada really have nothing to do with the US stores. It was a separate issue with inventory and pricing that they don't have in the US stores.

Considering Target has 1,800 stores in the US, closing less then 1% of their stores doesn't really seem like a big deal. They are poorly performing stores, why wouldn't they be closed?
My feeling is that both Target and K-Mart made the same mistake by devoting part of their stores to groceries. Wal-Mart did that and pulled it off because they feature almost a full line of groceries. Target and K-Mart don't. If I am going grocery shopping; I don't go to any store that I cannot find everything I need - it isn't worth my time. The mistake is very evident by just comparing the number of shoppers using the grocery sections at the three large chains - Wal-Mart has a commanding lead in sales.

I really think there is a lesson to be learned. You don't do something only half way. It might have worked if the sales were so great that it was worth it for consumers to shop at both Target or K-Mart and their own grocery store; but that is not the case. Even Wal-Mart has a hard time competing against a good grocery chain like Wegmans.

We do like Target; they operate a clean store compared to the others. Just wished that they made better business decisions.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
I know of one Target about 30 mins south of us, a bigger grocery store than some of the big named grocery stores. It's huge!

Another one close by but not as big. Remodeled not too long ago. It has a lot more refrigerated aisles than they used to? I can find enough items to buy in there even though it's not as big as the 1st Target I mentioned.

Then there's some Kmart stores with just one aisle devoted to refrigerated items, like milk and butter, maybe juice as well but I think that's it. The other aisle for cereals, condiments, plastic utensils, napkins and paper towels and detergents. The rest of the store is the typical K mart - clothing, purses, shoes, kids toys, household items like mixers, etc.

Maybe there are much bigger Kmart stores but I haven't been in any of them.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I know of one Target about 30 mins south of us, a bigger grocery store than some of the big named grocery stores. It's huge!

Another one close by but not as big. Remodeled not too long ago. It has a lot more refrigerated aisles than they used to? I can find enough items to buy in there even though it's not as big as the 1st Target I mentioned.

Then there's some Kmart stores with just one aisle devoted to refrigerated items, like milk and butter, maybe juice as well but I think that's it. The other aisle for cereals, condiments, plastic utensils, napkins and paper towels and detergents. The rest of the store is the typical K mart - clothing, purses, shoes, kids toys, household items like mixers, etc.

Maybe there are much bigger Kmart stores but I haven't been in any of them.
I've had the same experiences. I've never made it a point to shop at Kmart, but I don't remember any of the ones I've been in having an actual grocery section. Target on the other hand, has a decent sized grocery area. No, there isn't enough that I can shop only at Target, but since I'll be shopping at Target anyway, its nice to be able to pick up a few essentials in the grocery section as well. Otherwise I would have to go to two different stores since I wouldn't be buying makeup, medicine, and other toiletries at the grocery store.

And since Target is much cleaner, and the employees much nicer, then at Walmart, I would much rather shop their. Despite what the commercials want me to believe, I am not comfortable with buying very much of my groceries at Walmart. Half the time I try to buy produce there its all rotted and moldy. Gross! Not where I want to buy meat or dairy products from.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've had the same experiences. I've never made it a point to shop at Kmart, but I don't remember any of the ones I've been in having an actual grocery section. Target on the other hand, has a decent sized grocery area. No, there isn't enough that I can shop only at Target, but since I'll be shopping at Target anyway, its nice to be able to pick up a few essentials in the grocery section as well. Otherwise I would have to go to two different stores since I wouldn't be buying makeup, medicine, and other toiletries at the grocery store.

And since Target is much cleaner, and the employees much nicer, then at Walmart, I would much rather shop their. Despite what the commercials want me to believe, I am not comfortable with buying very much of my groceries at Walmart. Half the time I try to buy produce there its all rotted and moldy. Gross! Not where I want to buy meat or dairy products from.
The problem is that, if you have a full grocery shopping list, where are you going to shop? Now, if you want to pick up essentials or clothing for your home and food, you might choose Wal-Mart. But, if the toaster or coffee maker isn't bad and you don't need clothes, you go to the best grocery store in your neighborhood. Think of Thanksgiving dinner; which store would you choose - I know that K-Mart and Target would be way down on my list.

Yes; it is nice to get our snacks when shopping at these stores. But many of these 'snacks' do not have dates that expire in only one week or so. Once the stores put in the produce and dairy sections; they need volume to keep ahead of the expiration dates. My feeling is that it cost them, especially Target and K-Mart, to try to maintain perishables. Of course I could be wrong; I would love to hear from some managers of these stores.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
k-mart n Target are wal-mart wanna-bes. Eliminating the limited grocery selection would be better for their company. When I go grocery shopping, I like a large selection to choose from such as dry goods like cereal, frozen, meat, dairy, produce etc.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem is that, if you have a full grocery shopping list, where are you going to shop? Now, if you want to pick up essentials or clothing for your home and food, you might choose Wal-Mart. But, if the toaster or coffee maker isn't bad and you don't need clothes, you go to the best grocery store in your neighborhood. Think of Thanksgiving dinner; which store would you choose - I know that K-Mart and Target would be way down on my list.
Like I said, Target doesn't get rid of the need for grocery stores. I still go there. But I like Target's grocery section for the times when I do needed to pick up a few grocery items. Its nice to not have to go to two stores when I'm already going to be going to Target.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:34 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Target has quite a lot of grocery items for a limited grocery store. Yes the produce area is limited, and there may be fewer selections in the other aisles. Yet the store's sell more grocery items than one would expect. The prices are not bad either. If one lives in Florida and only has these Publix markets to shop at. Believe me Target is a welcome change, and so much cheaper than Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products