U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 AM

369 posts, read 459,874 times

Advertisements

I was in a store yesterday and found a top I liked...except as I started to walk towards the register with it, I smelled really strong laundry detergent in the air. Confused, I sniffed the top I was holding and it smelled to high heaven of laundry soap - which, btw, I'm highly allergic to (I use the unscented/fragrance-free stuff).

The idea that someone had worn the top, washed it, then returned...it's just GROSS (on the customer's part).

Furthermore, it increases the cost of operations for stores, which they will have to turn around and trickle down to the consumers to make up for it so....you end up hurting the consumers' pockets (including your own, if you every keep an item of clothing), in the long run.

I mean, kudos to you for admitting you do this because you couldn't not have known you'd be judged for this. But ew, no...please stop.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:52 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,298,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Why not
First, hygiene. Do you wash the clothes before you wear them? If not you may be wearing someone else's bodily fluids because they already bought the item, wore it then returned it, just like you.

After that it is just wrong, if you cannot afford the item then you should not be purchasing the item.

Then there is Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift Stores, they have quite a few high dollar items for very low prices.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:12 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,214,593 times
Quote:
I have recently started buying clothes (jackets, pants and shirts) to wear on few occasions and then return them. It feels like all nice stuff are overpriced... Some stores very easy to return. Have you guys done that?
That is morally and ethically wrong.

If you feel the retail stores' prices are too high, then your go-to stores should be Goodwill, consignment stores, and other thrift stores.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 AM

12,304 posts, read 11,055,464 times
If I wanted to buy used clothing, I would be shopping at the Salvation Army and not the GAP! So gross.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM

320 posts, read 257,441 times
Quote:
Why not
Reasons being disgusting, ghetto, unsanitary, careless, unethical...the list can go on for miles. Nobody wants to buy clothes for the price you paid that have already been worn. If they did, they would go to Plato's Closet. If you can't afford them, don't buy them. If you can afford them, buy them and keep them or sell them as "USED" articles; meaning full disclosure.

I can't stand when I see people walking around with the tags on their clothes (for this purpose) because you know what they are doing. Thank God I don't wear the types of clothes I typically see this manner being practiced.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:53 AM

99 posts, read 56,761 times
Quote:
Why not
3 reasons
guilty conscience...........for one

goes against common courtesy taught by your parents......for 2

golden rule.............................................. ..........for 3

Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 AM

99 posts, read 56,761 times
Quote:
I have recently started buying clothes (jackets, pants and shirts) to wear on few occasions and then return them. It feels like all nice stuff are overpriced... Some stores very easy to return. Have you guys done that?

......"some stores are very easy to return to ".....

Retail stores have carried the motto "the buyer is always right" way too far. In their attempt to never offend a person returning items, they are offending the rest of us honest shoppers via higher prices to cover for it.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:49 PM

168 posts, read 108,474 times
Quote:
Why not

Because you're stealing.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:31 PM

30,379 posts, read 2,643,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No.

I think that's dishonest, unethical, and essentially theft.

Shame on you.

Shame on her, indeed! No CLASS, just no class at all. Yes, it is theft!

Many great responses here.

Last edited by geebabe; 10-25-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM

9,770 posts, read 8,711,976 times
Quote:
People that do this are TRASH.

I worked in retail at a major department store as a makeup artist and would sometimes help out in designer.

Trust me the salespeople are highly trained to spot this and not only will they not accept the return but the store will then tag you as a fraudulent customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or