U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:45 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times

Advertisements

link to the Walmart page and a photo of what you received please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:04 PM

279 posts, read 403,391 times
What do you expect when you purchase something that was marked down so many times? Of course it is an extremely old model.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM

28,069 posts, read 16,329,186 times
I thought I've seen low priced DVD players at Walmart before... Maybe $40 now due to blu-ray.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:32 PM

374 posts, read 250,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I bought a DVD player on Walmart online. It looked like it had been marked down a lot, and when it arrived it had an old price sticker for 5X what I paid for it. Naturally it didn't work, but it had a manufacturing date of March 2007.

Although I am sure that Walmart will take it back even though it has been unboxed, I am annoyed that I spent this time on a "new" item that was over 8 years old. I would like Walmart to give me a working DVD player of any quality (including a shelf model) as it was such a waste of my time. I am not happy just having my money returned.

Do you think I have a case, or am I being overly whiny?

I personally have an amazing walmart.com story. I bought a grill that was a little pricey $500 and about a month later it went down to $420, I was going to call but forgot until a month later and saw it went down to $399. Oh man, they will never refund my money but I call anyway. The lady says ' I see it went down to $420" and I said well I see it at $399 online. I'm thinking she is going to hassle me but then she says well I can on;y mark it down $97" or whatever she says. Long story short she refunded me down to only paying $370...I was SO surprised as I admit I never expected anything but a hassle. The call took about 3 minutes. So cool and the grill is AWESOME!

And whiny doesn't even hit the scales.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 696,377 times
Quote:
I bought a DVD player on Walmart online. It looked like it had been marked down a lot, and when it arrived it had an old price sticker for 5X what I paid for it. Naturally it didn't work, but it had a manufacturing date of March 2007.

Although I am sure that Walmart will take it back even though it has been unboxed, I am annoyed that I spent this time on a "new" item that was over 8 years old. I would like Walmart to give me a working DVD player of any quality (including a shelf model) as it was such a waste of my time. I am not happy just having my money returned.

Not at all.

In 2013 I bought a new iPod at a Walmart store. It was on the shelf in the electronics cabinet, with a brand new price tag on it and I honestly thought I had bought a new one. But after a month or so it completely died on me, so I took it back. They wouldn't exchange it, OR refund my money because their return policy was one WEEK from the date of purchase.

So absolutely livid at this point, I called Apple. And to be honest, I was expecting to play phone tag and drama all day, but to my surprise an actual human answered. I explained the problem, she had me read the serial number from the iPod to her and then asked me where I bought it. I told her a Walmart in South Carolina. She asked me to repeat the serial number again. I did, and she told me that my "brand new" iPod had been originally sold in St Louis in September 2009...

What had happened was Walmart took it in on return from somebody, then boxed it up and put it back on the shelf with a brand new price tag on it.

Now to Apple's credit, they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked and made it right - even though it wasn't their responsibility. And until that point, I have always stayed out of the great Walmart debate, but no more.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 PM

231 posts, read 980,459 times
FYI, not all products sold at walmart.com are sold by Wal-Mart.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,189,078 times
Quote:

Walkmart.com sells products for other retailers, as well, namely Wayfair.com. You may wish to check the Walmart.com checkbox under the Retailer heading in the left-hand column, and also the New checkbox under the Special Offers heading.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,466,526 times
Walmart is a great yet disfunctional company. It is nearly impossible to micromanage. Their replacement albeit restockng is still relegated to employees who are incompetent at that task. Too many items in great demand are not "treated" with any more priority than items collecting dust. My first move would be to immediately start aggressive training, elimination of middle management ( not needed at all) and upgrade the computer software which sucks at present worldwide. This company loses billions due to the worst management system putting too much responsibility on internal marginal managers , clueless stockers, who need to report shortages,but don't care and are stupid ,unfriendly personality depraved dummies ! I would shake up Walmart yet without losing staff unless I see a hint of "" give a rats rear mentality" as for them there's the door don't come back!!! In my world you smile and serve or your history!!! Upside of Walmart? Any company offering the best tasting French/Italian bread for a buck is where you need to shop! It's amazing, unselfish, uncanny for a corporation! Go there!!! The deals are real!!! Again be happy, smile then smile more at everyone ,help all or leave!!! The are hundreds of "nice people" desperate for jobs who would represent a new culture and need to be emergently given employment!! If you have issues you don't belong there drive for Coke!

Last edited by openmike; 10-29-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:

Although I am sure that Walmart will take it back even though it has been unboxed, I am annoyed that I spent this time on a "new" item that was over 8 years old.
I would like Walmart to give me a working DVD player of any quality (including a shelf model) as it was such a waste of my time. I am not happy just having my money returned.

I would say the latter. I am curious why you assume an item made in 2007 wouldn't work. How many cars, homes, or furniture manufactured in 2007 still work? What about humans? And does it matter if the price sticker is highly marked up? That means you got it cheaper than it was before. After all, ostensibly you researched what model you ordered (or you should have, and if you didn't that's on you anyway), therefore it was an old one, by technology's standards. Oh, and just because it was an old one doesn't mean it wasn't new. "New" means something that has not been used before, not necessarily something that has just been released. And since it didn't work, you can return it. People buy things, and unfortunately many times they are defective. They return them or they don't. That's one of the minor frustrations in life. So they deal with it and move on.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM

9,770 posts, read 8,714,359 times
Quote:

A case for what?

A lawsuit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or