U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:34 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,306,210 times

Advertisements

It's been over 30 years since I last step foot in the retail environment. I'm not talking about being a customer but as an employee. Throughout high school I worked retail to save up for college. This was 1980. The mindset of customers have gotten greedier since the last time I works retail IMO. It's kind of scary to be honest. Before I get into that, I want to mention how I think it started. I think it started with a classic case of the Walmart effect. For example, a town has a Main Street with family owned businesses and small shops. During this time, Walmart comes to town and it forces these businesses to lower their prices. Over time it drives out competition. That alone has an ideology that treats everything as cost reduction. We see ourselves as consumers and think "What's in it for me?". It's a grumpy customerhood which dictates society's attitude towards everything else in life.

The problem is you keep giving them your money and expecting service the way you'd like to be serviced when a good portion of the time they're a private company who can do whatever they want. I hate customers self entitlement attitudes. The store doesn't owe you ****. When you walk into the store, they'll give you what they got and for whatever reason you don't like what they sell or you don't appreciate their service then don't spend your money. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 04:39 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
From my perspective I see it in reverse and I'll it to you in a scenario. Customer walks into Widgit store in mid to mid upper class area and needs assistance. That customer will go up to a sales associate no matter if the are working with someone else or not and in a stern tone start in on what they need in a demanding or demeaning manner. Customer walks into Widgit store in mid to lower class area and needs assistance. That customer will go up to a salesperson ask for assistance and if the associate is busy with another customer they will wait. Both areas have Walmarts, It's not the Walmarts its the people. I Have a city where people who live North of the river feel entitled and act if they are the ultra rich. Retail employee turnover is extremely high there. People South of the river are for the most part transplants who never grew up with entitlements and are very courteous. Demographically the people South of the river have more money than those of the North and for the most part act more conservative about it. The retail employee turnover is very low. I live South of the river in a manner of speaking and hate with a passion when I have to drive North of the river because the people are nasty and their driving shows it. As to Walmart, we had numerous meetings telling them not to build here. We didn't bring up economics. We just didn't want them. They came anyway and for the most part their parking lot is empty no matter what time of day or season. We didn't have any economic losses. In actuality we had gains and demographically our population didn't grow much. The only thing Walmart brought us was criminals. We have a town paper with a Sheriffs section. Most of the incidents are related to Walmart. Hope they will be gone when their lease ends so it can be bulldozed.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM

9,783 posts, read 11,265,215 times
I'm glad that I live where I do. Employees at my local Walmart and other stores in town are helpful, pleasant, and very happy with their jobs. I've never encountered anyone here who took my business for granted. In just a few weeks store employees will have ''Merry Christmas'' on their lips when I visit. When I was recovering from hip surgery and had to use a scooter other customers as well as staff constantly asked me if I needed help reaching for things or unloading my cart. When I was really a mess someone would always bring a scooter to my car.

There's no problem with customers; they're the only reason for a business to exist. The problem is a bunch of bitter and unhappy people who seem to resent the fact that there are happy people in the world. It doesn't matter what part of the country you're in. It does matter a bit if you're in a big city rather than a smaller city. However, if you greet everyone with a smile and work hard at your jobs you'll find life far more pleasant.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 8 days ago)

15,475 posts, read 8,974,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It's been over 30 years since I last step foot in the retail environment. I'm not talking about being a customer but as an employee. Throughout high school I worked retail to save up for college. This was 1980. The mindset of customers have gotten greedier since the last time I works retail IMO. It's kind of scary to be honest. Before I get into that, I want to mention how I think it started. I think it started with a classic case of the Walmart effect. For example, a town has a Main Street with family owned businesses and small shops. During this time, Walmart comes to town and it forces these businesses to lower their prices. Over time it drives out competition. That alone has an ideology that treats everything as cost reduction. We see ourselves as consumers and think "What's in it for me?". It's a grumpy customerhood which dictates society's attitude towards everything else in life.

The problem is you keep giving them your money and expecting service the way you'd like to be serviced when a good portion of the time they're a private company who can do whatever they want. I hate customers self entitlement attitudes. The store doesn't owe you ****. When you walk into the store, they'll give you what they got and for whatever reason you don't like what they sell or you don't appreciate their service then don't spend your money. It's that simple.
Yes they do. They owe me a product and OK to great customer service. I will reward them by being polite, respectful, and give them repeat business if they offer this to me. I will not give them repeat business if they make it difficult for me to be their customer. I have noticed the quality of the customer serive on Amazon decreasing a lot. They keep trying to shove Prime down my throat, both actively and passively. The Amazon fulfilled items ship very slowly to non-Prime customers, they are selling many items only to Prime customers, and have all these gimmicky programs that favor Prime customers over non-Prime ones. I rarely shop there anymore.

I also don't like shopping at stores that have excessively long checkout lines or stores that try to force me to use the self checkout. But stores like Kohl's who act like they want me to be their customer make me happy to offer them my money and a pleasant attitude. Many retail workers such as yourself obviously hate being in retail. It sounds like a very stressful job in a lot of ways. But the fact that you are in retail is not the customers' fault. I'm sorry a lot of customers are rude jerks. But I and probably most customers are not. So I politely request that you not take your frustrations out on us.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:46 PM

40,069 posts, read 48,962,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes they do. They owe me a product and OK to great customer service. I will reward them by being polite, respectful, and give them repeat business if they offer this to me. I will not give them repeat business if they make it difficult for me to be their customer. I have noticed the quality of the customer serive on Amazon decreasing a lot. They keep trying to shove Prime down my throat, both actively and passively. The Amazon fulfilled items ship very slowly to non-Prime customers, they are selling many items only to Prime customers, and have all these gimmicky programs that favor Prime customers over non-Prime ones. I rarely shop there anymore.

I also don't like shopping at stores that have excessively long checkout lines or stores that try to force me to use the self checkout. But stores like Kohl's who act like they want me to be their customer make me happy to offer them my money and a pleasant attitude. Many retail workers such as yourself obviously hate being in retail. It sounds like a very stressful job in a lot of ways. But the fact that you are in retail is not the customers' fault. I'm sorry a lot of customers are rude jerks. But I and probably most customers are not. So I politely request that you not take your frustrations out on us.
^^^Excellent post, agree whole heartedly. If it wasn't for customers the retailer would be out of business.
I was in retail for over 50 years before selling and retiring. I had successful business built entirely on good customer service.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM

15,817 posts, read 9,479,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post

Not always. I lived in a tiny mountain town that had one hardware store. The prices were easily twice what the same item would cost "down the hill", the service was terrible, and they were ALWAYS out of items. They were also closed on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. After going to the store needing 5 of something, and only finding 4, or finding the store closed when I needed something for a project, I started braving the long drive down the hill for my shopping.

There was also a office supply store that ran much the same way. The employees in this case were all folks from another county that were personal friends of the owner (who lived completely out of the area).

A few years later, Home Depot and Office Depot moved in. Suddenly the prices were competitive, items were in stock, and they HIRED LOCAL PEOPLE. The hardware store went out of business, followed by the office supply store. No loss, since they were basically jacking up prices, for inferior service. The non-local employees were never seen again, and the few local employees were hired by Home Depot and Office Depot.

As for being a consumer thinking "what's in it for me", why on earth WOULDN'T I? it's my hard earned money, and I'm going to stretch my dollar as far as I can.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,306,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

I don't work in Retail. I said I used too back in high school. Im just starting a discussion on what I'm noticing. Obviously there may be a disagreement or two and that's ok. A store does not owe you anything. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You are not entitled to expect service the way you'd like to be served. What is OK and great customer service? It obviously varies by each individual.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM

11,130 posts, read 14,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^^Excellent post, agree whole heartedly. If it wasn't for customers the retailer would be out of business.
I was in retail for over 50 years before selling and retiring. I had successful business built entirely on good customer service.
Not really, as a customer you depend on retailers to sell you the things you need or want. It is a two way street, they offer a product and service at a price they hope entices you, but as a customer you are aren't 'entitled' to anything.
I also have to say that I have been in retail for over thirty years, and if you haven't been in the business in the last five to ten years you probably have no idea how bad it has become. Our store has actively 'encouraged' some of our more entitled customers to take their business elsewhere, because the demands and the attitude can get to the point that the hassle simply isn't worth it anymore.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM

561 posts, read 379,288 times
My very aggressive woman friend says "It creates a job." She is very aggressive in stores and acts like she's entitled.
Rich people are used to going to the manager and having him do whatever they want, and they can't wait in a normal Kmart line for a minute.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:00 PM

6,382 posts, read 3,200,777 times
There is an unfortunate "contagious" side-effect when these types of people act out in stores. When one person decides to act that way and they're allowed to get away with it, others decide to try the same behavior. It snowballs. Seeing people literally step over each other, push, shove, curse, etc. on those Black Friday sales is very enlightening. The individuals would likely never behave that way if alone or with one other person. In a crowd of like-acting people, however, they are encouraged to behave like heathens because they have seen no punishment. Heck, it's treated like "fun". So people get trampled to death in those stampedes every year, so what? You got to elbow someone's granny and take her $50 microwave oven right out of her hands, and no one even bats an eye.

This whole "go to X store and pitch a fit/cause a scene so the manager will give you free stuff to go away" mentality used to be unthinkable...back when kids were raised to feel ashamed for such behavior in public. Nowadays? Not so much. When you are raised lacking self-respect, then your willingness to embarrass yourself in a public place like that just for "stuff" is entirely understandable. I just hope retailers will stop giving into these types of blackmail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or