U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:13 PM

38,025 posts, read 46,836,164 times

Advertisements

The cookies have always been an awful rip off. When I had some girl scouts in the family, I just gave a donation to the troop, and skipped the cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:51 PM

269 posts, read 242,075 times
And I NEVER buy from parents at work, the kids are the ones that are supposed to do the work!!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,522 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
This is the first year we said no to girl scouts. It's not just the ridiculous price as the articles to which you link note.

We always try to help neighborhood kids by buying whatever it is they're selling, but the last few years quite buying from those junk catalogs. What we've been doing with the limited funds available for charity is donating directly to local organizations and programs where we can see community benefit for kids, like special events.
Yep. We did not buy the cookies last year either. It was odd, but we just could not justify the expense. $4 for a tiny box of cookies is too much money, whether they are GS cookies or Keebler. My wife and I have stopped doing Starbucks as well. I used to be a voracious Starbucks drinker, then when I calculated how much money I was flushing down the toilet on their massively overpriced, bitter coffee, I learned how to make my own iced at home for a tiny fraction of the cost. We rarely order drinks when we go out to eat any more either. We just get water and save our drinks for home. And we have saved a lot by doing that. Those little $2.50-$5.00 expenses add up to a lot of $$$ over time.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:59 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,205,587 times
I don't care... I'd pay 3 times the amount for the Thin Mint cookies!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,289,855 times
Girl scout cookies are a rip off. A few years back when my daughter was selling, someone decided it was a good idea that the girls take possession of the cookies and if you had them, the parents had to buy them if you didn't return them by a certain date. That hurt a lot of parents who didn't get the message.

If a girl comes to my door, I buy them. I was a girl scout. I also buy cub scout popcorn. Because of politics, we sometimes buy from parents at work.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,711,163 times
I won't buy them either. My husband used to get them behind my back, but now that I work at home, he can't sneak cookies in here anymore. No way.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don't care... I'd pay 3 times the amount for the Thin Mint cookies!
Oreos have a mint thin (the cookie portion is more wafer than regular Oreos) that taste EXACTLY like Thin Mints. Actually, better.

Buying Girl Scout cookies is more about donating to an organization and getting a box of cookies as a thank-you than it is getting bang for your buck on a cookie purchase. Same with Boy Scout popcorn, which is even MORE exorbitantly priced.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 24,443,364 times
Let me make something clear.

I am not against the Girl Scouts or the Boy Scouts for that matter.

In the past 18 months, I have funded two Eagle Scout projects among others.

However, I want the money that I spend to stay in the community and the best way to do that is direct contributions to the individual troops or participation in service projects.

I don't buy the cookies or the popcorn

Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
I also don't ever buy from parents at work.

When I was a kid and in GS, it was always a contest to see who sold the most, and the girls whose parents took them to work and sold for them always won the contests, got the prizes, etc. Meanwhile, kids like me, who lived rurally and couldn't go door-to-door, and whose parents ran a small mom & pop business and didn't go to work in a busy office with a captive customer base, got told we weren't doing very much to help out the troop.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 24,443,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oreos have a mint thin (the cookie portion is more wafer than regular Oreos) that taste EXACTLY like Thin Mints. Actually, better. .

And Big Lots has a great knock-off of the Savanna Cookies for $0.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or