U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,215,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don't care... I'd pay 3 times the amount for the Thin Mint cookies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oreos have a mint thin (the cookie portion is more wafer than regular Oreos) that taste EXACTLY like Thin Mints. Actually, better.

Buying Girl Scout cookies is more about donating to an organization and getting a box of cookies as a thank-you than it is getting bang for your buck on a cookie purchase. Same with Boy Scout popcorn, which is even MORE exorbitantly priced.
And the Keebler mint cookies are very good (and much cheaper) too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:57 PM

2,916 posts, read 4,727,237 times
Haven't bought them in years. I don't think they taste very good anyway--several years ago Mr Hellpaso bought some from a coworker. We ended up throwing them in the trash.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 15,895,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let me make something clear.

I am not against the Girl Scouts or the Boy Scouts for that matter.

In the past 18 months, I have funded two Eagle Scout projects among others.

However, I want the money that I spend to stay in the community and the best way to do that is direct contributions to the individual troops or participation in service projects.

I don't buy the cookies or the popcorn
Thank you for supporting scouting and assisting with Eagle projects. Those guys won't forget it, and that's the beauty of it.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,790,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You need to stop looking at it as a shopper (what do I get for my money) and look at it as a supporter (how nice to get cookies for my financial help!).

That's how fundraising works.
Sounds like the cookie makers are counting on your graciousness.

Give that $5 directly to the local troop.

This is a sad lesson in capitalism these girls are learning.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 PM

20,521 posts, read 26,712,540 times
I'll pass on the cookies…they are a rip off and we are not doing our children any good teaching them to peddle an overpriced product.

I would rather donate to the troops and skip the profit to the middleman.

The cookies are bad enough but the popcorn is ridiculous and outrageous.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:17 PM

5,162 posts, read 2,934,604 times
Oh, wow, when I was a Brownie & a Girl Scout, they were 25 cents a box...but that was a long time ago. Ugh, I HATED having to sell them!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:18 PM

35,108 posts, read 41,303,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
In some areas of the country, the girl scouts are raising the price of the cookies by a dollar... so now they are going to be $5.00 a box! So now we get 10 cookies for $5.00
Here is the article if you want to read it...

Experts: Controversial Girl Scout cookie price hike is justified

I won't be buying any cookies. I think there is some kind of child labor law violation going on. I will donate directly to the troops so that the CEOs can't get their greedy hands on the money that is "suppose" to go the girls.
Here is a 2013 article about how much one of them made.

She

Anybody else not going to buy any cookies?
We haven't bought their cookies in years, we give the girls selling them $20.00 and tell them to keep the cookies.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 PM

513 posts, read 791,815 times
The cookies just aren't as good as they use to be. What I really miss is the creamy chocolate covered (dark and milk) mints the Camp Fire Girls used to sell, long ago. They were so much better than York patties.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 15,895,943 times
I'm disheartened by some of the replies. GSA and BSA are youth leadership programs, and the cost to run camps comes from a big chunk of these sales. The units benefit from these camps, so regardless of the amount kept at unit level, the kids still do benefit. But it is what it is, I guess.

Sad that school programs like football and other sports not only conduct fundraising, but get your tax money too.. Like the AstroTurf installed in Bridgeport, WV where I used to live. I played baseball in high school and college, yet scouting was by far the most beneficial program. And it's run by mostly volunteers for the benefit of our youth. No paid coaches.

At least it served me well.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,096,067 times
I'm a Girl Scout leader and if everyone would support scouts just by donating money, the prices wouldn't need to go up. My troop earns over $5000 a year from cookie sales and that isn't counting what each girl earns in cookie credits and other prizes. I have many disadvantaged girls in my troop who couldn't participate in all of our activities if we didn't go gangbusters during cookies.

From what I read, the $5 price will only be in Hawaii, parts of California, and parts of Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or