U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,205,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oreos have a mint thin (the cookie portion is more wafer than regular Oreos) that taste EXACTLY like Thin Mints. Actually, better.

Buying Girl Scout cookies is more about donating to an organization and getting a box of cookies as a thank-you than it is getting bang for your buck on a cookie purchase. Same with Boy Scout popcorn, which is even MORE exorbitantly priced.
Thanks for the tip on the Oreos.
I'll still buy the thin mints (too) in support.
I am a sucker for the worlds finest chocolate bars that the schools sell. I don't take the candy I just donate the cost and tell them to sell it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,879,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let me make something clear.

I am not against the Girl Scouts or the Boy Scouts for that matter.

In the past 18 months, I have funded two Eagle Scout projects among others.

However, I want the money that I spend to stay in the community and the best way to do that is direct contributions to the individual troops or participation in service projects.

I don't buy the cookies or the popcorn
And I don't blame you at all. My daughter loved her time in the scouts, and any time I come across a group selling cookies outside of a store, I tell them that I don't need any cookies, but I would be happy to donate $5 to their troop. The mothers there are always super happy and explain how much more that means for them than what they get for selling the cookies.

Now, I am not against the costs of the higher organization being paid for, but I feel others with a cookie addiction can take care of that!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 AM

15,017 posts, read 12,214,713 times
The average cost of one pack of cigarettes is about $5.50 or about $.27 each cigarette. The cost of one Girl Scout cookie is about $.50. Of course America has problems with our waistlines. Girl Scout cookies have been around for almost 100 years. However; they became big business starting in about the 1960's. That also starts the upward curve of obesity in the US (at least according to Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesit...e1960-2004.svg.

So, maybe, there is good cause to keep the prices of these cookies high (like cigarettes)!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:53 PM

32,836 posts, read 60,956,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't mind supporting the scouts, but have a problem with the CEO's salary of almost $400,000 a year. .52 going directly to the scouts and the rest going into someone's pocket doesn't seem right.
You're confused on several points here:

$400,000 is a fair salary for the CEO of a national organization; and

all of the proceeds stay within the local Girl Scout council.

Girl Scout Cookies - FAQ's

Quote:
All of the revenue earned from cookie activities—every penny after paying the baker—stays with the local Girl Scout council. Each council determines its own revenue structure depending on its cookie cost, local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating troops and groups. On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating Girl Scout troops and groups, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price. Cookie program revenue is a critical source of funding for local Girl Scout councils, and it is often what makes it possible to serve girls in hard-to-serve areas, and maintain camps and properties.

Girl Scout troops and groups must pool their proceeds to pay for program supplies, activities, and group travel. Girl Scouts may not earn proceeds as individuals; however, Girl Scout councils offer a wide variety of recognition items, program- and store-related credits, and travel experiences that girls are eligible to earn individually based on their sales. All troop proceeds and other rewards earned through participation in the Girl Scout Cookie Program must be used to enhance each girl's Girl Scout experience.
Quote:
What is new? Back when the cookies were $1.25 a box, the individual troops received ONLY $0.05 per box. Most of the rest went to national and regional leadership.
Incorrect. See above.

When I was a Girl Scout, we sold boxes of cookies for 50 cents; our troop received 10 cents, or 20 percent, of the sale price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm disheartened by some of the replies. GSA and BSA are youth leadership programs, and the cost to run camps comes from a big chunk of these sales. The units benefit from these camps, so regardless of the amount kept at unit level, the kids still do benefit.
Thank you for underscoring this. Part of being a Girl Scout is going to camp and other regional activities. A big part of the money for these activities is cookie sales.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:34 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,577,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
In some areas of the country, the girl scouts are raising the price of the cookies by a dollar... so now they are going to be $5.00 a box! So now we get 10 cookies for $5.00
Here is the article if you want to read it...

Experts: Controversial Girl Scout cookie price hike is justified

I won't be buying any cookies. I think there is some kind of child labor law violation going on. I will donate directly to the troops so that the CEOs can't get their greedy hands on the money that is "suppose" to go the girls.
Here is a 2013 article about how much one of them made.

She

Anybody else not going to buy any cookies?
Not at $5 a box, no. I'll just give them $5 and tell them to keep their cookies. I never eat them anyway.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,256,917 times
Years ago I would buy 10-12 boxs and freeze them that was when they were 1.25 per. As the price increased the amount I bought decreased. Afraid not too far in future scouting will be just a memory.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM

910 posts, read 728,134 times
Cookies are $4 per box here in the North Carolina Coastal Pines Council. That's an increase from $3.50, which was the price last year and the 9 years prior to that.

I happen to be munching on a Lemonade right now. Delicious! There are only 16 per box, but you don't buy Girl Scout Cookies thinking that it's the lowest price in town for the product. If you want cheap, go to Walmart and get Great Value cookies, which admittedly are similar and half the price.

But, if you want to put a smile on a little girl's face, and support a non-profit program that benefits thousands of kids across the country, buy a box or two. Don't want the cookies? We'll take the cash and use to fund "Operation Cookie Drop" which donates boxes to US military personnel. I can't tell you how many veterans we had approach our cookie booths to tell us how much they appreciated getting them, when serving overseas.

According to the literature I just picked up today in my capacity of Troop Cookie Manger for two troops, the revenue generated from cookie sales is distributed as follows:

54% Girl and adult programs, camps, and training. ALL OF IT STAYS WITHIN OUR COUNCIL (41 counties in this state)

26% Cost of cookies and distribution

18% Troop proceeds, bonuses, patches, and recognition awards

2% Administrative costs.

I appreciate all of the comments on this thread from people who donate directly to their local troop. Personally, it hasn't been my experience as the parent of two Girl Scouts, though. My girls' troops have not received any direct donations. We do earn a lot through the cookie program, though. Sometimes people say they don't want any cookies, but they will donate the equivalent to the Operation Cookie Drop program, and our troop gets the standard cut from those donations as well.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It has nothing to do with not supporting GSA or BSA. It's the fact that someone else is making a big profit off of these kids pushing the cookies, popcorn, etc. and a lot of times they are relying on the guilt of people to give to a "kid". I would much rather the kids go out and ask for any donation to support their troop. Why are kids asked to "make" money for someone else? Like all fundraising and a lot of charities…it is just too scammy and the majority of the donations "don't" go to the cause or the people in need. It's actually pretty sad and kind of disgust me.
See, I really don't want my kids to just ask for donations, and offer nothing at all in return. I call that "begging". With the cookie program, they have to work for their patches, prizes, and the money that comes back to the troop. Most girls have fun with the planning and the selling at booths. My own 8-year old is in her third year in her troop, and selling cookies is one of her favorite parts of being a Girl Scout. As a troop, they set goals, plan marketing strategies (if you have never heard a group of 2nd graders talk about how to increase sales, you are missing out) and decide how they will spend the proceeds. Part of it goes toward supplies for their community service project, and part goes toward something fun they do as a troop, like a Build-a-Bear party. None of the money goes to the national organization, it all stays within the Council.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 24,443,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I appreciate all of the comments on this thread from people who donate directly to their local troop. Personally, it hasn't been my experience as the parent of two Girl Scouts, though. My girls' troops have not received any direct donations. We do earn a lot through the cookie program, though. Sometimes people say they don't want any cookies, but they will donate the equivalent to the Operation Cookie Drop program, and our troop gets the standard cut from those donations as well.

Do realize that United Way provides significant funding for the Girl Scouts in many regions of the country. In addition, many local non-profits provide support individual troops with support either through leadership or providing the troops with places to meet.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Do realize that United Way provides significant funding for the Girl Scouts in many regions of the country. In addition, many local non-profits provide support individual troops with support either through leadership or providing the troops with places to meet.
That's true. One of my girls' troops meets at a local church, the other at an HOA Clubhouse. Neither charges anything for the use of space. And of course the leaders and other adult volunteers, as well as guest speakers from various professions, donate their time. As far as cold hard cash, though, we aren't getting any at the troop level. I don't know what goes on at the Council level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or