U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM

474 posts, read 390,088 times

Advertisements

In some areas of the country, the girl scouts are raising the price of the cookies by a dollar... so now they are going to be $5.00 a box! So now we get 10 cookies for $5.00
Here is the article if you want to read it...

Experts: Controversial Girl Scout cookie price hike is justified

I won't be buying any cookies. I think there is some kind of child labor law violation going on. I will donate directly to the troops so that the CEOs can't get their greedy hands on the money that is "suppose" to go the girls.
Here is a 2013 article about how much one of them made.

She

Anybody else not going to buy any cookies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM

14,416 posts, read 24,443,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I won't be buying any cookies. I think there is some kind of child labor law violation going on. I will donate directly to the troops so that the CEOs can't get their greedy hands on the money that is "suppose" to go the girls.

She

What is new? Back when the cookies were $1.25 a box, the individual troops received ONLY $0.05 per box. Most of the rest went to national and regional leadership.

One year, my mother REFUSED to have her troop sell cookies. She held a week-long paper newspaper collection drive that netted about $1500. With that money, she was able to take the girls on a week-long summer camp out and a couple of other weekend trips.

I will write a check to the troop but not buy the cookies.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

11,288 posts, read 12,821,541 times
$5.00 a box??? And I noticed the boxes are smaller too. No thanks.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,587,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What is new? Back when the cookies were $1.25 a box, the individual troops received ONLY $0.05 per box. Most of the rest went to national and regional leadership.

One year, my mother REFUSED to have her troop sell cookies. She held a week-long paper newspaper collection drive that netted about $1500. With that money, she was able to take the girls on a week-long summer camp out and a couple of other weekend trips.

Wow. Good to know.

Call me jaded, but perhaps the "lesson to be learned" from selling cookies is not really "what the market will bear", but instead how the worker bees can really be screwed over.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 15,895,943 times
My wife is a GS leader, and they get .52c a box. Her council is selling them at $4.00 a box this year. The council covers both MT and WY- and they do need operating revenue for camps, etc.. That's a MASSIVE territory.

I've been in Boys Scouts for over 35 years, as a youth (Eagle) and a leader. Popcorn sales are expensive as well, and our council does take the lions share of it, however there are 3 different BSA camps just in the state of Montana, and they all cost $$. In order to keep the individual price of camp down p/scout, we rely on popcorn sales and Friends of Scouting (fund drive) to provide needed capital. We usually manage to net $1,200-$1,500 from the sales, which is about 1/3 of our troop operating costs (we have 35 youth in our troop).

Trust me- I have done work weeks at BSA camps and just the cost of one canvas tent (sleeps 2 scouts) is over $750. Average lifespan is 5-7 years and there may be over 300-500 boys at a camp p/wk, 5 weeks in the summer.

It's not an inexpensive program, but it was one of the best youth leadership programs ever.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,463,134 times
I happily support the Girl Scouts. They're a fine organization.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM

848 posts, read 1,703,130 times
Quote:
In some areas of the country, the girl scouts are raising the price of the cookies by a dollar... so now they are going to be $5.00 a box! So now we get 10 cookies for $5.00

She

This is the first year we said no to girl scouts. It's not just the ridiculous price as the articles to which you link note.

We always try to help neighborhood kids by buying whatever it is they're selling, but the last few years quite buying from those junk catalogs. What we've been doing with the limited funds available for charity is donating directly to local organizations and programs where we can see community benefit for kids, like special events.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 PM

73,272 posts, read 85,467,100 times
Quote:

She

I have no choice; my great granddaughter is a scout, but I will only buy 1 or 2 if they are $5 here. I am getting tired of all this; we need to charge more, crap!!!!!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:03 PM

73,272 posts, read 85,467,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I am not doubting you, but I could sware, when I was a Brownie leader we got to keep 10 cents and they were .50 a box then. Maybe I am just forgettin. Regardless, $5 a box is totally out of line. Some of them are really good, but not that good.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:06 PM

22,026 posts, read 23,559,736 times
You need to stop looking at it as a shopper (what do I get for my money) and look at it as a supporter (how nice to get cookies for my financial help!).

That's how fundraising works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or