U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM

325 posts, read 547,721 times

Advertisements

It's been almost 2 months since I shipped my stuff from the post in Luxembourg to the US. I was supposed to get it through the post office here in the States. I don't think they have even looked for my parcel. They want me start the claim process with the insurance but I can't afford to lose my stuff!! What's in there is very valuable to me! How can they lose a 30kg piece of luggage???

Has anyone ever dealt with them when trying to retrieve a lost item? It's unfortunate that you can't sue them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:14 PM

11,615 posts, read 20,774,393 times
I can't figure out why you aren't willing to start the claim process....

Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
It's been almost 2 months since I shipped my stuff from the post in Luxembourg to the US. I was supposed to get it through the post office here in the States. I don't think they have even looked for my parcel. They want me start the claim process with the insurance but I can't afford to lose my stuff!! What's in there is very valuable to me! How can they lose a 30kg piece of luggage???

Has anyone ever dealt with them when trying to retrieve a lost item? It's unfortunate that you can't sue them!
Flood, fire, theft, highway accident, mis-delivered, mailing label comes off or become illegible. Lots of things could have happened, always insure, always put a second delivery address inside the package too.

https://about.usps.com/doing-busines...ns/welcome.htm

Old 11-14-2015, 05:56 AM

325 posts, read 547,721 times
I just would have never thought that a 30 kg piece of luggage would get lost! And this is an international package! The thing is no one even contacted me to let me know they are actively looking for my stuff. I just got a letter asking me to start the claim process!

I'm wondering if I should just go to their Mail recovery center in Atlanta and look for my luggage myself. I'm seriously considering this option.

Flamingo, I will eventually start the process. I guess I have to come to the realization that they've actually lost the item.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Have proof it actually made it to the US?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,006,615 times
While on vacation last Summer, I dropped three pieces of mail in the outgoing mail slot in the condo building where we were staying; two birthday cards and a bill payment. Two weeks later, when my water bill payment hadn't cleared my account, I called and found that it had never been received. The nice lady in CS suggested that I might want to stop payment and issue another check. I declined because my bank charges $35. for a stop. The check was for the same amount - I'm not stopping pmt. I wrote another check.

I than called the Mom of the young man to whom I had mailed a birthday check. Never got it.
I sent him another card and a second check.

Then I called the post office in the town where we stayed - the worker there told me that no mail was processed in that town, but was forwarded to the next town for handling. Called there but got no results. In a fit of pique, I e-mailed the US Postmaster suggesting that the employee who picked up the mail at that location might - just might, mind you - be like a local carrier who dumped half of his day's responsibility in the sewer and found a nice quiet place to nap until he could reasonably return to his home post office.

Three days later, I got a call from my hometown p.o. requesting some information about when and where I had dropped the mail. Asked why it was my p.o. investigating and was told "when my boss gets a complaint, I'm ordered to investigate, so I do as I'm told."

Within 10 days, the water company got their check, the child got the original birthday card. I got bupkus. No call to tell me that the missing mail had been located and delivered or where it had been for almost a month. But what care I? Somebody did their job and I'm happy to see that not all complaints fall on deaf ears.

Instead of complaining on a forum of strangers, try complaining to the guy at the top. As someone once said, "It couldn't hurt".

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,632,922 times
It's VERY hard to contact an actual PERSON at the post office....I spent almost an hour on hold...waiting for someone who thinks my call is VERY important.......

Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 PM

412 posts, read 332,507 times
Presuming you are in the US and near to the destination Post Office, I suggest going there and asking to speak to the Postmaster. If nothing else, the Postmaster can make sure the right people hear your complaint or explain your best course of action and why.

There is no guarantee that this will be helpful, but it might be. We have had good luck talking to the Postmaster or Postmistress directly to resolve issues with a bad carrier, who was subsequently kicked to another PO.

That was an issue directly under the Postmaster's control. Your case isn't likely to be similarly localized, but talking to the Postmaster can't hurt.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 PM

7,257 posts, read 4,507,099 times
I second talking to someone at the Post Office. Don't bother calling and messing around with the automated system, go in and talk to an actual human being.

I have had domestic mail misdelivered more than once. Most of the time the neighbor who got it brought it over to me. I have also had to talk to the mail carrier. Surprisingly, they often remember the box you are talking about and know what happened to it (as long as you don't wait too long to address them).

However, international mail is another can of worms. I never did get the parcel a friend sent me from Canada, and there was apparently nothing she or I could do about it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
OP it's a simple 1 step process:
Step 1, file a complaint form at the PO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or