U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:20 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,172,757 times

Advertisements

I had Amazon Prime for a year or two before dropping it after they raised the cost to $99/year. Just didn't feel the value was there, and because if I started watching a movie but had to stop before picking it back up a few days later it would all of a sudden be for pay only - then a couple weeks later I noticed it was free again. I honestly believe that was an underhanded tactic to get people to pay more money because it happened too often.

Netflix has The Walking Dead, but not the most recent season, that will be added next September or sometime around then. I much prefer Netflix to Amazon Prime/Instant Video.

When I had Prime there were series I enjoyed watching, like London Hospital which I don't know if it's still free or not. Just didn't think it was worth the cost after I finished watching the couple or few series I watched on it. If I want free shipping I just wait until I have at least $35 worth of products I want to buy, then buy them at the same time. I'm a patient man, sometimes.

Edit: BTW, you can take advantage of the free 30-day trial to check it out. Just make sure you cancel it before they charge your account, if you decide not to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM

1,441 posts, read 3,297,233 times
I recently signed up for the free trial to watch The Man in the High Castle. But after thoroughly browsing their tv/movie library I am not impressed. Most of the free movies are the same as those on Hulu Plus, which I already subscribe to. And the tv selection is very weak. One I finish High Castle I might binge Orphan Black season 2 (not on netflix or hulu) and then cancel Prime. As a recent cord cutter, I would be happy to subscribe to this service too if I felt it offered much value, but sadly, it doesn't offer much that I can't already get between Hulu and Netflix.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM

7,455 posts, read 13,088,043 times
I got amazon prime for the shipping, but have to admit I love it for the streaming. I have found plenty of good stuff to watch (I also have Netflix for streaming -- $8 a month is insanely low!).

Just binge-watched The Man in the High Castle, now am binge-watching Bosch. Both amazon's own series and VERY well done.

It's too easy to just watch and watch and watch and watch and watch, though! Beware!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,400,843 times
With prime you get earlier access to the Lightning Deals if you follow those. One item I was watching sold out to prime users before us peons even got access.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:01 AM

13,637 posts, read 7,107,738 times
It SEEMS like movies are available here at the same time they release to DVD.

So, for instance, will the newest Hunger Games be free to see with membership when it releases on March 22?

It's $18 to BUY, I just mean to 'rent' will that be free?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 AM

43,991 posts, read 53,835,803 times
I have it for the shipping.

I find the viewing choices on par with Netflix.

But I like renting movies on the Amazon streaming. That's better than waiting around for a disk from Netflix for extra money.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM

13,637 posts, read 7,107,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have it for the shipping.

I find the viewing choices on par with Netflix.

But I like renting movies on the Amazon streaming. That's better than waiting around for a disk from Netflix for extra money.
But you have to pay for most of them? New releases?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 PM

43,991 posts, read 53,835,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But you have to pay for most of them? New releases?
Yeah. $1.99 - $2.99. Which beats my cable's OnDemand prices of $5.99.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Actually, the rent prices seem to keep going up. And today, a friend recommended The Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise so I searched for it on Amazon, and the only option is to buy it (digital version) for $9.99 (SD) or $12.99 (HD). I can go to the local Redbox and pick it up for $1.35.

I did just pay for a Showtime subscription for a couple months to binge watch Nurse Jackie and Ray Donovan. It was $8.99/month, I think. But, then it was easy to stop the recurring charge. I did the same with Starz to watch Outlander then stopped it.

The new season of Vikings (History Channel) will be available, but the season will cost $40 to buy a season pass. I bought the second season last year, which is now free with Prime, as is the first season.

So, there are a lot of additions you can pick and choose. But, the free movie selections are getting slimmer for sure, and they keep adding different subscription offers like Lifetime movies, Urban movie channel, Comedy channel, etc. It's looking more and more like you'll have to keep paying for additional subscriptions to watch what you want.

Which is still probably cheaper than cable and you can pick and choose what you want - but it's all not free, that's for sure.

I'll probably renew, but I might add Netflix. Perhaps having both is the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or