U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,028,599 times

Advertisements

Estate sale shopping is one of my hobbies and since I don't like chain stores, a source for consumer items.

That aside, owners of some local companies here in Dallas have told me that theft from their sales has gotten more frequent and larger scale. Likewise, I have seen more arguments between customers over who "called dibs" on what, customers aggressively driving down prices on people in tough situations, and uhmmm.... "less than gentle" evaluations by dealers over the contents of homes (family members might be present).

I think I remember recent, more restrained estate sales when all of this behavior was less frequent. Heck, if I think family members are present, I always try to make a positive comment on the apparent interests or employment of the deceased.
That aside, are estate sales going the way of some crazed Black Friday sales, or is the increase in BBES just my false impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:37 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Estate sales, in my area, are public auctions.
So, no... that sort of behavior does not exist.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Estate sales, in my area, are public auctions.
So, no... that sort of behavior does not exist.
Public auction style is vastly different than Dallas. Here, almost all estate sales are done tag sale style.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,165,015 times
I don't think it's a false impression; I noticed the same. When I lived in DFW, I frequented estate sales as well. Some of the companies today have taken relatively drastic steps to curb theft. Some have started to post an employee in every room, some set up portable security cameras, and others strictly enforce a "no bags" and/or "no children" policy. It feels like you're being treated like a criminal the moment you walk in the door. And I can't tell you how many garage sales I went to and heard the owner complain that something was stolen from them.
Unfortunately, the problem is much bigger than estate sales. The demographic shift in DFW over the last several years has forced a lot of companies to reevaluate how they do business.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:44 PM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Estate sale shopping is one of my hobbies and since I don't like chain stores, a source for consumer items.

That aside, owners of some local companies here in Dallas have told me that theft from their sales has gotten more frequent and larger scale. Likewise, I have seen more arguments between customers over who "called dibs" on what, customers aggressively driving down prices on people in tough situations, and uhmmm.... "less than gentle" evaluations by dealers over the contents of homes (family members might be present).

I think I remember recent, more restrained estate sales when all of this behavior was less frequent. Heck, if I think family members are present, I always try to make a positive comment on the apparent interests or employment of the deceased.
That aside, are estate sales going the way of some crazed Black Friday sales, or is the increase in BBES just my false impression?
I agree with you, I do 10 to 15 tagged estate sales each week and have noticed in the past 2-3 years the attitudes, the dis-courteous/rude people- and the hagglers has gotten worse.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,492,075 times
Theft is huge. Seems some folks love to shoplift. Estate sales usually have several people working each floor of a home and the jewelry is kept in glass cases in front of the cash drawer with someone sitting right there. Hagglers are pretty much expected.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:44 PM

16,085 posts, read 24,307,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Public auction style is vastly different than Dallas. Here, almost all estate sales are done tag sale style.
I'm on the east coast, most done tag sale style.

Some companies hand out numbers for early morning crowds, only a few are let in the home at a time for monitoring; probably helps sales too.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:00 PM

9,689 posts, read 8,143,322 times
I don't know about theft at garage/rummage/tag/estate sales around here. I have never heard the issue discussed. Knowing how some people seem to think, I would not be surprised if it happens. I have never seen it at any of the sales I have held.
One thing I detest at Estate Sales if the fact that some of the people who hold such sales as a business seem to be quite clueless when it comes to how to sell some things, especially tools and sporting goods. Some things should NOT be split up, but they unknowingly do it anyway. Case in point; a Shopsmith Mark V that I bought at an ES. When I asked about the standard parts that are sold with the machine, they said they had already been sold separately! So, no drill chuck, no lathe centers, no lathe chisels, no saw guards, no disc sander, etc. I bought it, but I still don't have everything I should have. Oh, well, I can find it all on ebay!

Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I agree with you, I do 10 to 15 tagged estate sales each week and have noticed in the past 2-3 years the attitudes, the dis-courteous/rude people- and the hagglers has gotten worse.
I went to a nice estate sale today. I immediately saw the new and very direct "Rules of Behavior" sign:

- No Children- no exceptions (OK, that is some what reasonable. Mine just played in the big yard.
- Shoplifters will be immediately arrested and proscecuted (Off duty police officer was directing parking)
- No "hoarding" (sign defined hoarding as walking around with things you are not buying and not letting others see them). My guess is that this was due to arguments between customers.
- No haggling, Any posted discount being offered is final.
- No bags, of any kind

I knew the employees and intended to ask if they have had an increase in problems, but I ran out of time. My bet is that they have. I don't know how they intended to enforce the "no hoarding" concept though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm on the east coast, most done tag sale style.

Some companies hand out numbers for early morning crowds, only a few are let in the home at a time for monitoring; probably helps sales too.
They do that here is Dallas as well, but only for the most exclusive estate sales. I avoid those anyways as there are too many professional buyers.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-06-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 12:15 PM

783 posts, read 724,886 times
My husband and I would go to estate sales back in CA and there was one particular company that ran an estate selling business that I kept running into. They actually ran the estate sale for the house directly across the street from me and had a problem with the owner's outdoor/indoor cat going upstairs and "hindering things". The homeowner was put into a home and no other family member was there to help. The business owner finally came and asked if we would keep the cat at our house while the sale was happening, since we knew him and had seen him around the neighborhood for literally 15+ years. I gladly went and got him and ended up just keeping him, LOL. That cat was literally the sweetest and smartest cat I've ever known and I still miss him.

Honestly, I've just had negative experiences with the people who run and work the estate sales in regards to rudeness and blatantly being ignored. I can understand why they act the way that they do because customers can be real wankers; I always have at least one of my kids with me and I can recall being at one particular estate sale with my youngest and I sternly told her several times to keep her hands to herself and always had her hand in mine. She behaved just fine and was happy as a clam when I found a mini spatula for her (she likes to help me bake) and carried it around the whole time. One of the ES workers commented to me that she was so well-behaved and thanked me for being respectful.

The people who ran the estate sale for my uncle's house (my dad was in charge of his estate) had a ruthless owner who didn't put up with squat. She had a newsletter that she sent out each week detailing each and every customer whom she had a bad run-in with and their "offenses". I laughed every time I got that newsletter because she was very no-holds-bard and I could just see the offenders cringing as 3 THOUSAND people read about their horrible behavior.

I'm like you, OP, in that I ALWAYS am respectful when I go into an estate sale. I mean, it's someone's house and no matter the circumstances, it was/is their home and strangers are invading it. The least people can do is act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or