U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 AM

10,546 posts, read 5,805,669 times

Advertisements

Is it going out and buying a special gift for Suzie, another one dedicated to Bobbie, and then that for certain, he is bound to enjoy, it is everything that Uncle Beleabzugbelthanzar ever wanted?

Or is it, oh, this looks nice, that might work, it's bound to fit into someone's niche?

Myself, I believe if I am shopping in a department store or in some catalog, it is the dedicated, shop particularly approach.

If, however, I am shopping in local art stores, it's more like this, this, and this....and then eventually I will spread out the loot on a table and decide who gets what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:30 AM

983 posts, read 786,809 times
We do very little Christmas shopping. We mostly have adults in our family, and they know what they want, so they can buy it themselves! By mutual consensus, we get together for a big meal and conversation with few gifts exchanged.

We do buy a Christmas present for elderly relatives. They enjoy the gift exchange, so we buy them something. It's difficult since they have limited space in their retirement home and really don't need more slippers/clothes, etc. So we buy them something that they can eat/share with their friends. We go online to buy that present.

With few gifts to buy and wrap, it reduces the stress of Christmas substantially!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
......With few gifts to buy and wrap, it reduces the stress of Christmas substantially!
I reduce stress by observing the 12 Days; I'm not expecting to mail till Monday or Tuesday.

As it is, it is easier, sort of, for my brothers to shop for me than me for them because there is only one of me.

As it is, one brother sent me a half of case of wine; wish I could do the same for him but he doesn't drink. Don't know what the other brother sent me till I open it but in the past years, it has been:

a big stuffed shark
unicorn figurine
other figurines

and then when I was in my 20's or so, sexually oriented videotapes such as Frankenhooker and Playboy videos. He's a dear but his gift giving can take odd turns, such as when he gave my cousins gifts appropriate for 8-12 year olds.......for 12-16 years.

This year, my shopping is more home townish, buying from local artists and antique stores. Two brothers, two nieces, one sister in law.

If, in anything else, I want to try to keep in the spirit of things.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-19-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,242,556 times
Amazon mostly, a few gift cards for stockings at the local supermarket. Tomorrow we'll be getting several boxes delivered from Amazon. Even some pretty big/heavy items, with Prime shipping is free. No crowds, finding a place to park in the rain and cold, or cashiers.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:55 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
I can and have shopped year round for Christmas gifts.
I always know to whom the item will be given.

I would not just buy random things and try to match them to someone. The few gifts I buy are too important to be left to chance like that....

Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I can and have shopped year round for Christmas gifts.
I always know to whom the item will be given.

I would not just buy random things and try to match them to someone. The few gifts I buy are too important to be left to chance like that....
Shop during the year? I did that one year for my father.

Christmas time came around, I thought I didn't have a gift for him, raced out and got something.....and then found the feathered hatband I had bought for him during the summer and had forgotten about.

As it was, yesterday, I think I did complete my shopping, finding that gift for a brother who doesn't tell me what he wants......and then I had to shop a little bit more to even up the value. As it was, I was in a local art store, a small business, and wasn't looking to go shopping anymore, so I made about 3 or so passes through the store and found things that would work.

It was a belly dancing type store which did present a problem or two. Sure, there were things in the store I might be able to use for my art, but between not being in the store for me and the things being rather expensive, I didn't buy things for me. $75 for harem pants is a bit costly when one has the patterns, directions, and a sewing machine (my first pair, which I still have, use, I hand stitched over weeks with them draped over my ballet barre).

All of my parents' items collected from the Middle East came to me because of my interests.....so there was little point in getting someone, say, a brass tea set since if they had wanted that, they would have taken it from the estate.

Back to the topic, since I am more into supporting local merchants and artists this year, it is more of what do they have to offer, who will it work for.

One thing that did influence my buying yesterday....."Gee, that would be a great gift if I can visit him in the car. Be a lot easier to get it to him that way as oppose to trying to mail it!".

Old 12-20-2015, 01:54 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Shop during the year? I did that one year for my father.

Christmas time came around, I thought I didn't have a gift for him, raced out and got something.....and then found the feathered hatband I had bought for him during the summer and had forgotten about.
I have a Christmas gift bin.
When I buy something intended as a Christmas gift (or get it through the mail automatically), the item goes straight into the gift bin.

Plus, I keep track of all our household finances - so even if I could not remember if I bought something, Quicken would.
Christmas things have the tag 'Xmas' in Quicken. That includes gifts, cards, wrapping paper, stamps... anything Christmas related.

I, too, prefer to support local artists and shops. But I still buy from them with a specific person in mind. Sometimes that person is me!

Old 12-20-2015, 05:22 PM

11,288 posts, read 12,819,784 times
I don't do Christmas shopping. I make homemade cookies, breads and candy for the family.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,041,921 times
Sometime in the first week of December, the small shops in my surrounding neighborhoods host a Holiday Shop Hop. All the neighborhoods are contiguous, and very walkable. There are dedicated buses making regular stops every 15 minutes or so for those who are laden down with packages, or who have trouble walking.
The Shop Hop is a blast! I see my neighbors having fun, the local shops rake in the dough, and all the money is spent locally.
For those presents not covered by the Shop Hop (and most of them are,) I jump on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products