Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have a personal mental list of several "Life's too short to...." items.

These are things I have decided to avoid at all costs because I find them unpleasant or unnecessary experiences that I don't really need or have to subject myself to. In my middle, years, quality of time well spent, even short amounts of time, has become extremely important.

One of those items on my list is "Life's too short to shop at Wal-mart". I can always find a similar item for an equally good price from a more pleasant or convenient source. You can too.

PS: It's not the employees fault. They are overworked and underpaid, just how cheerful would you be working there dealing with the public that shops there all day for about $7 an hour and very fewbenefits? What kind of service do you expect? It's not friggin' Macys.
100% agree. I do not shop at WalMart anymore, either. They are horrible on every level imaginable. And frankly, a lot of their stuff is not that cheap. Plenty of places to shop (I shop online) and I have way nicer grocery stores, at better prices even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
100% agree. I do not shop at WalMart anymore, either. They are horrible on every level imaginable. And frankly, a lot of their stuff is not that cheap. Plenty of places to shop (I shop online) and I have way nicer grocery stores, at better prices even.
That's another wonderful luxury we have: a variety of stores. If my income (s/s) was sufficient to spend $1-2 more per item I may buy all my items at a chain grocery store v. Walmart.

As far as WM being "horrible on every level imaginable", have no idea what that means.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I could go my whole life without shopping there. I might go there if I needed something like a small appliance, but that doesn't happen very often, and unless I was in a hurry for something, I would be more likely to shop online.

I don't like it because the carts are always wonky, and it seems like nobody cares about customer service. I like amenities and simple courtesy when I shop, and I like higher quality in things like clothing and shoes than what Walmart has.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Good....more room for me. The Walmart near me has good carts, and for the items I purchase, they are name brands made in the same countries as the same item purchased in Penneys, Sears, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Good....more room for me. The Walmart near me has good carts, and for the items I purchase, they are name brands made in the same countries as the same item purchased in Penneys, Sears, etc.
Yes, have also found identical products at WM that are sold at another store. . . at reduced prices.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:36 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Well, I don't buy clothes at those places either.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
It's not the employees that keep me out of Wal-mart - it's the customers.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Then their is your "people of Walmart" comment which indicates that you get your information from online lore.
Online lore? Maybe it depends on where you live. The few times I've been in our local Wal-marts, it looks like a bus has dropped off every circus carny and person that has crawled out from under a rock to shop there for the day. People still in pajamas & slippers, people on scooters just too fat to walk, creepy tattoos, kids with smelly diapers, food-stamp people with carts full of junk food, it's not all lore, it's the norm in our local Wal-marts. Just a totally unhealthy vibe about it. I'm not a person of means, but I manage to find what I need at comparable or prices elsewhere, where I don't have to risk my life in the parking lot either. No Wal-mart? It truly, and pleasantly, CAN be done.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
I find it funny that people would base their shopping on the condition of the cart wheels, but our closest Walmarts are all fairly new, and their carts are just fine. The worst carts are at Safeway. Most of our shopping, including clothes is at Costco, however today we are headed to Walmart, 35 miles away. We are combining it with other errands in that are, and like f5fstop, we stick to the name brand items, and the deli where their custom cut meats and cheese are of high quality at great prices. Our local Walmarts do not have the typical "people of Walmart" customers, in fact I almost wish they did, for the entertainment value.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I find it funny that people would base their shopping on the condition of the cart wheels, but our closest Walmarts are all fairly new, and their carts are just fine. The worst carts are at Safeway. Most of our shopping, including clothes is at Costco, however today we are headed to Walmart, 35 miles away. We are combining it with other errands in that are, and like f5fstop, we stick to the name brand items, and the deli where their custom cut meats and cheese are of high quality at great prices. Our local Walmarts do not have the typical "people of Walmart" customers, in fact I almost wish they did, for the entertainment value.
Have never seen them either; so it could be those who are complaining live in an area where they think most of the inhabitants look weird to them, or they simply enjoy 'stirring the pot'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products