Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times

Advertisements

Walmart has more organic produce now than they used to and also organics in the dry good section! They are really
trying to accommodate our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
If you plan to stop shopping walmart at least get some mileage out of it and let them know in particular what it is about their corporate practices or policies that cause you to quit shopping with them.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Walmart has more organic produce now than they used to and also organics in the dry good section! They are really
trying to accommodate our needs.
No, they are trying to make money. They don't care if you're happy or not.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No, they are trying to make money. They don't care if you're happy or not.
Exactly. That's why they only have 4 cashiers and 20 checkouts. They know people will still come if there is only 2 cashiers. The Waltons made their fortune to cover them for several generations they could really care less if the business crumbles i bet.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Some people on these threads, say Walmart has terrible employees. I have been to numerous Walmarts in different areas of the county, and have seen they have about the same quality of employees as the other chain stores. They hire people living in the area the store is located in. Some have higher educated employees, and those are located in areas that have that type of people living in the neighborhood. Some have less educated employees, as that is what type of people live in the area the store is located in. Walmart hires, people that are applying for work in the local area the store is located in. We have 3 Walmarts within 50 miles of where I live, and every one of them has very good and very helpful employees, the exact type of person living in the area the store is located in.

Some complain that Walmart only sells things made in China. If you go to any major store, you will find they also sell things made in China, etc., just like Walmart. The 3 most respected high end clothing designers in this country who only sell in up scale locations, all have clothes made in Bangladeshi. That is the next step down from having them made in China. And they often sell exactly the same brands sold at Walmart, at the upscale stores.

My wife and I are both in our 80s. Financially we are well upscale in our having money to live. We can afford to shop anywhere. We buy our non perishable food items, from Walmart. We can afford to pay high prices, but prefer not to. We place an order once a month, and things are delivered right to our door.

Reasons:

1: We can buy the same brands as we buy in any chain grocery store. However the prices are lower, when we order on line. Example: One item I buy every order, buying one to two packages. Prices at local independent grocery store (a large and good one from a major grocers association), is $8.95. Drive to Walmart and it is $5 even. On line it is $4 to $4.44 depending when ordered. Or online they have a double size (1 instead of buying 2) for $6.66. We have compared orders, and find we save 20% or more at in store prices, and 40% or more over local prices. When you order from $300 to $400 at a time, that type of savings adds up.

2: Convenience. It is one hours drive to Walmart, taking an hour each way. It also averages 1 1/2 hours from time we get out of the car to when we get back in. It takes about 30 minutes at the computer to complete the order. In other words we save 3 hours doing it on line.

3: Gasoline. It costs even at today's lower gas prices $10 for gas to run to Walmart and back. According to AAA, it costs $0.449 cents to run our Explorer SUV. We save in overall car operating costs $44.90 not having to drive to Walmart.

Total benefits....Save about $100 to $150 in actual food costs....Save about $44.90 car expense not having to drive to Walmart....Total cash savings $150 to $200....Total time saved, about 3 hours a shopping trip....Energy, save a tremendous amount.

I feel it would be stupid, to not buy our non perishable groceries from Walmart online. Money is the least of our problems, with a paid for luxury home, autos will last as long as we can drive, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank along with other assets, and not one cent debt. I just figure any time we can save $150 or $200 a month that is something our kids can enjoy spending after we are gone.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't go to Walmart as a rule but a Walmart Neighborhood Market opened up around the corner and I've been doing some grocery shopping there for about a year now. I also moved my prescriptions there. It is convenient but even brand new the whole place felt to me like it could use a spruce up. I guess that's why Walmart feels like Walmart though.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
some walmarts are nice and clean while other look like somebody wipe their butt on the wall

Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
In October, I needed four new tires for my vehicle. My one tire was flat so I had to install the donut tire on the car.

I went to the first local independent. He wanted $600 for four tires installed which is about double what I paid three years prior.

I went to the second local independent. He offered me the same brand for $560 BUT I would have to wait 3-4 DAYS as he was too busy to do it. That would not work as my wife was in the hospital and I did not want to drive on that spare tire.

My third choice would have been Pep Boys but that is 30 miles a way and I had problems with that particular shop as the kid did not reinstall the wheel covers properly.

The only other option was Walmart and they sold me the same tires that I was quoted at the other places for $375. They could do it immediately.

Too many of the local business people claim that they want your business BUT many of them in this are are strictly 8-4:30. If you have an emergency at 3:30 pm, it is "call back tomorrow and we'll get you in". That is fine if a few cars sitting around and not much else to do.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
The claims about prices being lower at Walmart are accurate. As a rule, the cost is $1-2 less at WM, same product - same manufacturer.

Needed a mattress cover, found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $70. Went to WM and the same exact product was $35.

Needed a pair of shoestrings; found a pair at Walgreen's for $4. Found the same product at WM for $2.

Have been to Target where there are approximately 10 check-out lanes, and of those, only one or two are open. So using the lame excuse that WM's check-out lanes are not being utilized is ludicrous. I believe that some just like to bash WM because they're bored.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,512 times
Someone with the forum name of "buttholejesus" has bigger problems than just shopping at Wal-mart. Shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products