U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:45 PM

135 posts, read 122,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Lower strata employee", hmmmmmmmm.

I always have to wonder what you guys do to always get treated "badly" no matter where you go, whether it's Wal-Mart or CVS or a car dealer or a restaurant or wherever.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, whoa. Hold it there, buddy. I can tell you firsthand that no matter where I have went in my near 30 years of mostly mundane existence in mundane situations I get treated like a second class citizen for no apparent reason. The irony is that I always make sure I act SUPER nice to the other party that is usually an underpaid miserable robotic stand-in that is just waiting for "people" like me to take even their menial job from them because everyone that looks like me has taken all their high tech jobs as well as the manual labor ones, such as mowing lawns.

It is not the attitude of the person they are interacting with that determines their own attitude in response for customer service. I come from a customer service background myself. Nobody in their right mind will feel that they ARENT a slave getting paid the minimum just to ensure they can come back tomorrow and do it all again.

With this in mind, you must be the lucky exception that gets treated like you're in a $10,000/night vegas resort by peeps that could never in their whole life experience such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:11 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, whoa. Hold it there, buddy. I can tell you firsthand that no matter where I have went in my near 30 years of mostly mundane existence in mundane situations I get treated like a second class citizen for no apparent reason. The irony is that I always make sure I act SUPER nice to the other party that is usually an underpaid miserable robotic stand-in that is just waiting for "people" like me to take even their menial job from them because everyone that looks like me has taken all their high tech jobs as well as the manual labor ones, such as mowing lawns.

It is not the attitude of the person they are interacting with that determines their own attitude in response for customer service. I come from a customer service background myself. Nobody in their right mind will feel that they ARENT a slave getting paid the minimum just to ensure they can come back tomorrow and do it all again.

With this in mind, you must be the lucky exception that gets treated like you're in a $10,000/night vegas resort by peeps that could never in their whole life experience such a thing.

Right. I'm quite sure you do. You're probably a big tipper, too.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,106,122 times
Someone has a superiority complex.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
If you think Walmart is bad, try a Kmart.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
There are two Walmart Neighborhood Markets in a nearby (upscale) city, and we go once in a while. We buy a few things that are significantly cheaper (name brands only) when we happen to be in the area. It's never much, so we use the self check and don't have to deal with the slow, but usually pleasant cashiers. If you don't like Walmart or their employees at your store, just don't go there, and spend a few more bucks to keep your sanity.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:11 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
There is only one thing I need to go to Walmart to buy, because I can't find it online at a reasonable price. And thats decaf green tea bags. Oh, and instant packages of Quaker Oats original grits. Something I learned to love when I lived in the south. I can only find these at Walmart or they're too expensive to order online.

The locals call it "Wait-Mart." The lines are awful.

I'll go there if I need something I can't wait for from Amazon, and I can't find it at a smaller store. Walgreens is a little more expensive, but has a short wait and friendly and helpful staff.

I think the reason Walmart employees are so unhelpful and slow, is related directly to Walmart management practices. There are never enough employees, and they are under pressure to do work like stocking, etc., so that's their priority. If they see a customer coming, they cringe, because they don't want to be interrupted doing the chores that management has given a higher priority than customer service.

And the checkers are dealing with long lines of impatient customers, and trying to work with equipment that quits working or doesn't work right - like printers, etc. And they're expected to also cash checks and sell gift cards and all kinds of crazy stuff that takes a long time to do for that one customer, while their long lines are getting longer and more angry and impatient.

Heck, I was there once and the checker ran out of bags and had no way to call a manager for more bags, so she was just putting people's stuff straight into their carts with no bags. And the customers in line who saw what they were up against didn't want to go to the end of another line.

Once I was there and the checker's equipment completely failed and the entire line had to move to another checkstand that she opened up. I asked her if there was a manager she could call, and she told me that was her!

At any rate, I understand why the employees are miserable, but it is still an awful place to shop. When I can avoid it, I do. I've been out of my decaf green tea for about 2 weeks. I couldn't face going there during the holidays.

So, yes, you can probably never shop there again. You might have to pay more for some obscure item you can only otherwise find online. I'm starting to think it would be worth it.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 3,551 times
WalMart is loosing billions with your thread here!

Seriously I came here to see some series post.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:43 AM

739 posts, read 947,208 times
[quote=LargeKingCat;42435071]I have tried this in the past, to spend an entire year purchasing nothing at Walmart. Was in there today to take someone to the pharmacy, looked around, bought a few items, typical nasty attitude from unhappy lower strata employees. Decided to see if it would be possible to buy NOTHING from them at all next year. /QUOTE]

I'm going to go out on a limb here in defense of the OP.

When I read the OP's post my first reaction wasn't that he/she was bad-mouthing Walmart.
I took it as just stating the general norm for Walmart employees. In general, they ARE dissatisfied workers.
But most of you took it that the OP was bashing Walmart and ran with that notion.

I'm more interested in knowing who the 2 other retailers are that the OP found besides Amazon.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 AM

739 posts, read 947,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfighter View Post
WalMart is loosing billions with your thread here!

Seriously I came here to see some series post.
If you came here to see serious posts, why didin't you make one?

Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,078,698 times
Maybe some people shop at Walmart because it is where they can afford to shop. They might not have many other financially viable options, or they don't want to go into debt buying everyday items on credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or