U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:19 PM

9,151 posts, read 5,318,589 times

Advertisements

i pretty much stop buying at walmart. not because of the store or company but the parking lots are always screwed up and just te people that shop there are so rude. we getting a lot of mini walmarts. neighborhood markets. I havent been to one yet, but i hope its better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 PM

3,093 posts, read 3,114,335 times
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in years, even though my best friend has been working there for over 15 years. Any time I think I might find something I need there, it's not there. I may have gone in three times this past year, but I never actually bought anything.

My reasons for keeping my money out of Wal-Mart's till are political. I don't support the Wal-Mart/China manufacturing bloc that has driven out the American-made producers that Wal-Mart used to feature as you walked into the store. Plus, I don't like the business model that has Wal-Mart opening a new store in a town, driving the local operators out of business, and then hiring them to work in the departments that closed the stores they once owned. Then there is that fact that I NEVER have to look at the People of Wal-Mart, their inappropriately displayed body parts, and badly behaved children.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,892,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in years, even though my best friend has been working there for over 15 years. Any time I think I might find something I need there, it's not there. I may have gone in three times this past year, but I never actually bought anything.

My reasons for keeping my money out of Wal-Mart's till are political. I don't support the Wal-Mart/China manufacturing bloc that has driven out the American-made producers that Wal-Mart used to feature as you walked into the store. Plus, I don't like the business model that has Wal-Mart opening a new store in a town, driving the local operators out of business, and then hiring them to work in the departments that closed the stores they once owned. Then there is that fact that I NEVER have to look at the People of Wal-Mart, their inappropriately displayed body parts, and badly behaved children.
Ditto

I would feel like a hypocrite complaining about this problem while still contributing to it.

If I could "not afford not to shop there," I would probably use food banks, Craigslist and thrift shops (already do the 2 latter) before I bought from a Walmart again.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:22 PM

2,746 posts, read 4,015,430 times
Walmart has been proven many times not to be the cheapest anyway but people still go there thinking that.

Yes they have cheaper priced items but those are what's called loss leaders because most of the products they sell cost more then competitors. Scatter some low priced items in the mix is what draws people in and end up buying more higher priced items.

So with the combination of costing more and not enough cashiers with long lines makes it a nobrainer to shop somewhere else.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Status: "Free Thinking, humanist, aestheticist available for hire" (set 20 days ago)

5,176 posts, read 4,111,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
How are you getting Dollar General to ship to you for free? I just went to their site and it doesn't say anything about free shipping. Thank you.
All items over $40 ship for free.
Dollar General | Save Time. Save Money. Every day!

Click on the promotion yellow box upper right

Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 PM

3,044 posts, read 2,799,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I try to curb my interactions with Walmart. If there are other options I use them. But I am forced to live on a very strict budget and I just can't justify over-paying for needed items when Walmart is sitting just down the street from me selling things I need at a significant price reduction over other sources.

This is most true for OTC drugstore items. I don't get prescriptions filled there but since I am caregiver to a person nearing 90 I need many things for her in addition to myself. Things like contact lens cleaner, stomach upset preparations, shampoo, hand cream, cosmetics of all types, and even some paper products are so much cheaper at Walmart it's shocking. Walmart's prices for these things are better than buying them at a drugstore like Walgreen's or CVS or even at the supermarket WITH a coupon.

I don't buy groceries at Walmart (other than peanut butter which is exceptionally cheaper there) and I don't buy household products or clothing items that I can get elsewhere.

But I'm not going to ruin my personal budget just to make a political statement regarding Walmart. All the big box stores have a similar negative effect on the American economy. Although I will say the Walton family members are particularly egregious in their leadership of government policies that have been the ruination of the middle class that used to be the bedrock of American life.

It never ceases to amuse me how so many people blame rich people for making laws that they don't like, or have contributed to the decline of the American middle class. Surely you didn't do that badly in your study of US government. Or maybe I'm giving you more credit than you deserve.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM

3,044 posts, read 2,799,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Walmart is good for consumables like paper towels, toilet paper, maybe snack foods. The rest of their products are just crap and it's more economical to buy something of better quality elsewhere. The workers there look impoverished and very unhappy. They use a lot of mentally retarded people as staff, they don't have to pay them the same and they get kick backs from uncle sam. I prefer the local union grocer although the prices might be a tad higher you get a better shopping environment and better quality staff to deal with.

You should admire Walmart for hiring those with disabilities, rather than criticize them. I have NEVER been treated poorly by any worker at Walmart, and those with disabilities employed at any store, including Walmart, have a better attitude and usually more knowledge than retail workers in general.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM

728 posts, read 569,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
We live in a walkable neighborhood, so we never go to walmart. They're always in the most outlying parts of town. Why would we drive there?
Interesting... we can walk to a Walmart Supercenter. My wife cannot drive due to her vision so we had to live near somewhere to get groceries. It is not on the outskirts of town. Generally when they are on the outskirts, it is due to the amount of land required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

When local retailers go out of business, it partly due to them not supporting each other. Buying their supplies at Walmart rather from each other. That is why I always mock Small Business Saturday. Do the small business owners patronize each other or get their supplies from Costco or Sam's Club? Then their is your "people of Walmart" comment which indicates that you get your information from online lore.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 PM

2,687 posts, read 4,930,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I've been out of my decaf green tea for about 2 weeks. I couldn't face going there during the holidays.
Try iherb.com for decaf green tea.

I have also noticed there is a lot of variation in the Walmart shopping experience depending on the individual store location. The ones in the North Atlanta metro were very nice. The Walmart in Winfield, Alabama could win an award for the friendliest Walmart employees. The ones in Fairfield & Richmond CA are among the worst.

Last edited by capoeira; 01-01-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 10:28 PM

20,175 posts, read 19,685,912 times
I have not been to a Walmart in 2015 until this past week. I went inside a Supercenter store on a Monday night. Assistance locating a product and having enough checkout lanes open were great positives in my visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or