U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM

4,541 posts, read 889,229 times

Advertisements

I love my 24 hour Walmart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM

20,927 posts, read 11,731,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I could never pronounce any of the walmart cashiers names at the store i go to because most of them are from the middle east. The people who came here for a better life to work at Walmart
I had a young woman tell me the other day--with a very broad smile--that people usually get her name wrong...but I didn't.

Middle eastern names aren't hard. Pinyin is hard.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't like the way Walmart takes over and kills the smaller businesses. Hooray for towns that won't allow Walmart in; that way the town keeps its own shops and maintains its own character.

I go to Walmart every once in a while though. It was by far the cheapest place to get a battery for my car yesterday. We bought a tv there one time. Other than that, even though I'm on a strict budget, I can do without it.

We are lucky to have a good chain of grocery stores that's cheaper than Walmart. We shop at the Dollar Store for paper products, dish soap, and other similar products. T.J.Maxx and Marshalls have name brand clothing. Walmart ruins everything with their greed and I won't support them.
There is zero economic difference between Walmart and Dollar General, and very little between them and any national chain store. If you want to make some difference, stick with the unique local stores.

But I don't really believe Walmart kills local stores. Shopping malls sporting national chains do that to a far greater extent than a Walmart does.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I usually buy my Cheap Chinese Junk on Amazon.

But if I need Cheap Chinese Hardware, I shop at Ace.

For Cheap Chinese Office Junk, Staples has it.

All my other Cheap Chinese Junk, I buy at Walmart.

Except for Super Cheap Chinese Junk, that I buy from the Dollar Store.

Ha ha.

Doh!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,399,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Lower strata employee", hmmmmmmmm.

I always have to wonder what you guys do to always get treated "badly" no matter where you go, whether it's Wal-Mart or CVS or a car dealer or a restaurant or wherever.

"Lower strata" is akin to cockroach exoskeleton, isn't it?

Old 01-02-2016, 03:47 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,812,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Actually, I love Wal-Mart!

It's the best place to buy all the stuff that comes in boxes. I buy all my fresh food at Sprouts.
Stuff that comes in boxes? You mean like cereal that is a week away from its "use by" date and crackers that are broken?

Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,812,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is zero economic difference between Walmart and Dollar General, and very little between them and any national chain store. If you want to make some difference, stick with the unique local stores.

But I don't really believe Walmart kills local stores. Shopping malls sporting national chains do that to a far greater extent than a Walmart does.
Do you not explore the national media at all or do you read "everything" and fail to comprehend, a la Half-Governor Palin?

Because low and high publications from the right (NY Daily News and Forbes) to the left (Raw Story and Forward Progressives) have laid out the argument quite effectively. Even people who don't think it's a problem that Walmart destroys small, locally owned businesses (Forbes, for example) agree — Walmart is a community and jobs killer.

Opinion: Study shows Walmart kills small biz - NY Daily News

Forbes Welcome

Report: Wal-Mart actually kills jobs, creates taxpayer burdens

Walmart Strikes Again With A New Attempt To Further Destroy Small Businesses

Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 PM

15,587 posts, read 7,663,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Do you not explore the national media at all or do you read "everything" and fail to comprehend, a la Half-Governor Palin?
Perhaps Ralph Kirk thinks for himself and doesn't rely on the google search copy/paste game.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:40 PM

154 posts, read 98,693 times
Amazing! With all the people who don't /won't shop at Walmart, it should be easier to find a parking spot.

I do agree, I would like it if they had more checkout lines staffed, but it's no different than Target, or most of the local grocery stores.

Many of the local store owners/management think you should shop local just for the sake of shopping local. If they can't offer lower prices, that's ok, but their service should be impeccable. If not, they deserve to go out of business.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,473,258 times
actually, I have to say the walmart employees in my experience. are some of the most cheerful employees. I would not be so cheerful if I had to work there with all those crowds of customers. Most surly are our local chain grocery store workers. They can barely even say "thank you" after checking out... when we just dropped $100+ dollars in their store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or