Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:13 AM

12,811 posts, read 847,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have tried this in the past, to spend an entire year purchasing nothing at Walmart

Was in there today to take someone to the pharmacy, looked around, bought a few items, typical nasty attitude from unhappy lower strata employees. Decided to see if it would be possible to buy NOTHING from them at all next year.

I am going to guess that the nasty attitude has way more to do with where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 AM

3,956 posts, read 4,196,898 times
I stopped shopping at Walmart for over a year-and-a-half. I did not like the way they treated their employees (especially the games they were playing to keep employees from being classified as full-time). And I did not like all the cheap, Chinese junk crowding the aisles, heaped on displays, etc. I also hated the fact that there were always too few cashiers, so long lines were inevitable. (Again, Walmart trying to save a buck while the Walton family continues to be among the richest Americans.) Finally, the items I usually was there for were often out-of-stock, resulting in a wasted trip.

It was pretty blissful. I didn't get aggravated by wasting my time going there or standing on line. I felt Walmart didn't need my business, so the feeling was probably mutual. I didn't get tempted by endcaps filled with cheap, Chinese junk that I didn't need. I actually did buy more American-made goods and just less "stuff" in general. Groceries were never an issue, as we have excellent chain grocery stores that blow Walmart's pathetic grocery department out of the water.

Then, my 2 other sources of one item I always had bought at Walmart started stocking a really bad, crappy brand. It just didn't do the job. I looked in other stores, to no avail. So I very reluctantly went back to Walmart. What I do now is I dash in through the garden center entrance, pick up the item, and hightail it to a cashier. Usually early in the morning. I never walk through the store any more, so I am not tempted by endcaps of junk. If I can find another source for the item, I will drop Walmart like a hot potato. And I am sure Walmart won't miss me.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,891,571 times
Walmart is good for consumables like paper towels, toilet paper, maybe snack foods. The rest of their products are just crap and it's more economical to buy something of better quality elsewhere. The workers there look impoverished and very unhappy. They use a lot of mentally retarded people as staff, they don't have to pay them the same and they get kick backs from uncle sam. I prefer the local union grocer although the prices might be a tad higher you get a better shopping environment and better quality staff to deal with.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 AM

7,570 posts, read 6,026,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I did that! I did not shop in WalMart in 2015, or 2014, or 2015, etc...

The results?
I don't have cheaply made things in my house; I do not make threads complaining about WalMart!
THANK YOU

Two goals for 2016
1 STAY OUT OF WALMART

2 MAKE THREADS That more eloquently communicate my issues and questions and do not come across with misinformation.

So far, this is what I have

Item for item on dry goods, dollar general is cheaper and will ship to the house for free. Convenience of not having to go out for items.

Amazon Pantry will ship items to us as well, $6 shipping, which is more than what I would lose in time, frustration and aggravation going into the aforementioned store.

Problem is the farmers market nearby shut down, I guess I did not spend enough there (rarely saw anyone else there either)

As for the absence of Cheap Chinese made junk items, I have noticed the quality of items has diminished Some 25 years ago Walmart bragged about having American made products. It beyond amazes me what kinds of crap people will buy and think they want and need. I know this to be a fact because I have hauled away seemingly tons of it over the past few years when I made the mistake of buying cheap, only to find that I was getting even cheaper.

Part of the 2016 lifestyle change is more minimalism. This means less junk, less clutter, and far less spent on necessities, and redefining what "necessities" really are.
If something does not work in the plan, such as Walmart, then it will be removed.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:56 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,621,004 times
Wal-mart isn't going know if I stop shopping there and furthermore they really don't care. There are a lot of items I buy there and I don't intend to stop. These items are much higher priced elsewhere ie laundry detergent etc. I need to save money. I'm not in there to become friends with the employees. I usually use the self check out. Not all Walmart's are the same neither are any other chains. I did try not shopping there once (after an unpleasant experience at the returns dept) but it didn't work out cause I needed something from them in the pet dept that only they carry. Not all of their products are cheap stuff from China. They carry the same brands any large retailer carries so you decide how much you want to pay.
If you go into a store with a bad attitude towards it and their employees then you will be displeased. If you go in with a smile on your face and say hello to the employees there could possibly be a favorable outcome.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM

7,570 posts, read 6,026,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
If you go into a store with a bad attitude towards it and their employees then you will be displeased. If you go in with a smile on your face and say hello to the employees there could possibly be a favorable outcome.

I have tried that......

Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM

15,972 posts, read 9,339,962 times
People that don't shop at Walmart never cease to congratulate themselves...

Old 01-01-2016, 12:11 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,997,924 times
Another of the "I hate Walmart" threads.

Could there be a few employees at a Walmart who are rude? Possibly
Could there be a few employees at another store who are rude? Possibly

Could there be a few rude customers who shop at Walmart? Possibly
Could there be a few rude customers who shop at other stores? Possibly

Once again I thank my lucky stars for never having run across the alledged rude employees some complain about at Walmart. Have lived in four different states and shopped at Walmart Super stores, Walmart stores, and Walmart Neighborhood markets - no problems with the employees, the products, or the store layout and cleanliness.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:51 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,041,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are two Walmart Neighborhood Markets in a nearby (upscale) city, and we go once in a while. We buy a few things that are significantly cheaper (name brands only) when we happen to be in the area. It's never much, so we use the self check and don't have to deal with the slow, but usually pleasant cashiers. If you don't like Walmart or their employees at your store, just don't go there, and spend a few more bucks to keep your sanity.
I'm with you on this. I'll visit the NM, sometimes reluctantly, but I don't recall the last visit to a Superstore. Customer service is not something i expect from WM. it's a value / convienence proposition, at best.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,630,744 times
Think it also could be what state your in. Never have I seen the crap on u tube where customers looking like drug addicts,dirty, mental patients and half dressed, butt cracks and bellies hanging out both male and female. Also haven't run into employees who were as you describe. Have a few states come to mind though where this could happen. Or it could just be there's just some people that others take a dislike to quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products