Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

If you're buying from Target, you're buying from Wal Mart. Both sell the same merchandise made in China, both virtually identical business models, both have the smaller or individual sellers in their sights. There's not much distinction between the two, but if you think you're making a statement, go for it. Actually, I admire Target for one thing. They have a much more hard line attitude against Shoplifters than Wal Mart.
But I do support boycotts. I haven't bought KFC in ten years at least, not since they had a supplier get charged with animal abuse( playing soccer with chickens). Yes, I know every place that sells chicken has suppliers that kills chickens and in ways we don't like to think about, but KFC never issued any kind of apology or statement.
Hershey has gone totally down the crapper exporting US jobs and I don't buy any of their candy except or two dark chocolate varieties. At Halloween, they get passed over for Nestle.
In Pa we have a mini mart chain called WaWa. I almost never shop there unless its a necessity. They've bought historic homes and other businesses and flattened them to build there. I lost a favorite Wing place and gas station they ran out of business. They also bought a favorite restaurant( all you can eat Chicken Pot Pie) and tore it down to build.
I'm probably not making much impact on any of them but I can deprive them of as much as my money as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 04:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have tried this in the past, to spend an entire year purchasing nothing at Walmart

Was in there today to take someone to the pharmacy, looked around, bought a few items, typical nasty attitude from unhappy lower strata employees. Decided to see if it would be possible to buy NOTHING from them at all next year.

SO First, I looked at the budget. I already use Amazon Prime, which allows for free shipping on all major purchases, and usually at better prices than walmart. SO comparing prices to Amazon Pantry, which is a monthly delivery of goods such as soap, non perishables etc, it would be cheaper to buy those items through amazon and have them delivered on the 1st of every month.

I do not buy clothing or shoes from the Mart, so no problem there.

As for cheap grocery goods (condiments flour etc) I usually shop once a month at my favorite low price chain because they have a larger and better selection of Latin foods, so when I make tacos every 3 weeks or so, I can buy the spices, tortillas and such in bulk cheaper and with a better authentic flair. Ketchup, Mustard, etc are always cheaper and I keep several bottles in reserve.

That leaves though the bulk of groceries for the nearby Publix, which is not cheap, or Target, which sadly is closing in January.
But I am thinking we can get most of the food delivered to the house, using Amazon, and paying less.

Has anyone else tried this? What were the results?

I will update as we go to see if this can be done
Thanks
What is so hard about it. If you don't want to shop at Walmart then don't.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:16 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Exactly! It's not that puzzling and doesn't need to consume your entire life. Shop where you want and be happy.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Exactly. There is nothing that Walmart sells that cannot be bought somewhere else. If someone doesn't want to shop at Walmart, there is no reason to go there.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I have a personal mental list of several "Life's too short to...." items.

These are things I have decided to avoid at all costs because I find them unpleasant or unnecessary experiences that I don't really need or have to subject myself to. In my middle, years, quality of time well spent, even short amounts of time, has become extremely important.

One of those items on my list is "Life's too short to shop at Wal-mart". I can always find a similar item for an equally good price from a more pleasant or convenient source. You can too.

PS: It's not the employees fault. They are overworked and underpaid, just how cheerful would you be working there dealing with the public that shops there all day for about $7 an hour and very fewbenefits? What kind of service do you expect? It's not friggin' Macys.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

These are things I have decided to avoid at all costs because I find them unpleasant or unnecessary experiences that I don't really need or have to subject myself to. In my middle, years, quality of time well spent, even short amounts of time, has become extremely important.

One of those items on my list is "Life's too short

Me too…I will not buy BP gas, eat at Chick-fil-A, shop at Hobby Lobby, buy a car made from GM, and donate to many charities who's funds go more to them than the people in need, etc., and don't get me started on the banks I won't use. I'm glad we still live in a "freer" country than most.

PS: It's not the employees fault. They are overworked and underpaid, just how cheerful would you be working there dealing with the public that shops there all day for about $7 an hour and very fewbenefits? What kind of service do you expect? It's not friggin' Macys.
Macy's is going out. It's about time. Overpriced and pretentious. I don't know what Macy's pay in NY but some Walmarts in NY pay over $12.00 and hour to inexperienced kids. A Walmart job is not that bad. I have had much worse and did it the way my father taught me. No matter what job you have you do it to the best of your ability. If you don't like it than you better find a new one. Try working fast food at any restaurant for that matter as a manager. It's salaried and you get to work anywhere from 50-95 hours a week. That is a pitiful "per hour" amount.

I would rather work at a Walmart than dozens of other miserable jobs I can think of.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

One of those items on my list is "Life's too short to shop at Wal-mart". I can always find a similar item for an equally good price from a more pleasant or convenient source. You can too.

1. Don't presume to tell the rest of us where to shop ("You can, too").

2. Today's Macy's isn't your grandma's Macy's. They're closing hundreds of stores for a reason.

3. Too bad your Walmart is "unpleasant" and "inconvenient;" that must be the pits.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
2. Today's Macy's isn't your grandma's Macy's. They're closing hundreds of stores for a reason.

3. Too bad your Walmart is "unpleasant" and "inconvenient;" that must be the pits.
Actually Macy's is doing what most retailers do after the holidays. They are pruning off the bottom 5-10% of store locations and moving (some) stores to where the demographics have shifted. J.C. Penney, Kohl's, and even Target does the same thing.

Walmart's business model may be unsustainable in the current political and economic climate. Employees are fed up with the erosion of their lifetime earnings and lack of benefits due to inflation (and now deflation) and this is translating to deviant behavior against corporate cultural norms. On the other hand, their suppliers are reluctant to work with them regarding pricing and other concessions due to the uncertain future. The business model only works when either or both the political or economic climate is stable, but not when both are unstable.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:32 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
I'm still trying to figure out how companies like Pepsi, General Mills, Nabisco and others whose products we purchase manage to have their stock for WalMart made in China since people claim everything in WalMart is cheap Chinese junk.

WM is not my favorite store, but very few stores are. For what it is, it's an OK place to shop. In fact, I am more bothered by some of the other shoppers at WM than I am with the store. But I just make sure I go there at the right times, when the clientele that I wish to avoid may not be there.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
...typical nasty attitude from unhappy lower strata employees...
I wonder who really has the attitude? If you project a negative attitude it'll reflect off others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products