Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else come across this often? The two main offenders that I see are Target and Trader Joes. I was at Target yesterday buying a yogurt for breakfast and the sell by date said 12/2/15. They were only a month off. I looked and the shelf was full of stuff nearly a month past the sell by date. I told an employee and he said, oh ok thanks.

At Trader Joes I recently bought some pre-packaged grilled Teriyaki chicken and forgot to look at the date. When I got home I saw it said 12/12/15 (this was around Christmas). The stuff stank bad. I'm wondering how common is this? I guess some of these stores don't check this sort of thing and just wait for customers to report it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:21 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
There are certain things that I'd have no problem buying past the posted expiration or "sell by" date. Yogurt and fruit juices probably aren't among those items.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I recently bought a package of frozen cheesecake bites at Sam's. When I got home I discovered it was six days past the sell by date. They are still tasty and being enjoyed by friends and family.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are certain things that I'd have no problem buying past the posted expiration or "sell by" date. Yogurt and fruit juices probably aren't among those items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I recently bought a package of frozen cheesecake bites at Sam's. When I got home I discovered it was six days past the sell by date. They are still tasty and being enjoyed by friends and family.
Agree with both of you here. I'd eat frozen stuff past the sell by date.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Depending on how the product was stored and handled makes a big decision for me buying sell by date products. Liquids I avoid after sell by dates, solids are usually good for a long time, especially frozen. There is no law saying they have to pull the mdse off the shelves. Many times it's a selling ploy to get the stores to pull and re-order.
Did you know that a store can sell food past the expiration date?

Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Does anyone else come across this often? The two main offenders that I see are Target and Trader Joes. I was at Target yesterday buying a yogurt for breakfast and the sell by date said 12/2/15. They were only a month off. I looked and the shelf was full of stuff nearly a month past the sell by date. I told an employee and he said, oh ok thanks.

At Trader Joes I recently bought some pre-packaged grilled Teriyaki chicken and forgot to look at the date. When I got home I saw it said 12/12/15 (this was around Christmas). The stuff stank bad. I'm wondering how common is this? I guess some of these stores don't check this sort of thing and just wait for customers to report it?

As a cashier I do see this once in a while but not often. Maybe because most people don't look at the "sell by" date? Could be more than I know. I think part of the problem is that stockers don't check the date on the product when it's delivered/shelved. They just want to get it onto the shelves. Maybe they should.

Most things shouldn't go totally bad soon after the sell by date. I know I use older stuff all the time and still here to tell about it. lol

Old 12-31-2015, 12:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Make it a practice to look at the dates and you'll have nothing to worry about.

About yogurt ... it's already spoiled, so it has a longer life than most dairy products. I'll eat it a few weeks past the date on the carton if it looks and smells OK.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Depending on state law, many states have it make it unlawful to be on the shelf past that date. Most chains follow the most stringent law in the US and do it country wide as a policy to do so.

A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale. You should buy the product before the date expires.
A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
A "Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. The date has been determined by the manufacturer of the product.

Food Product Dating

Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I deliberately look for stuff that's about to expire; I get a great discount on it. No store in my area will sell me food that has already expired.

I eat stuff all the time past its sell by/use by date. Even dairy products if they pass the sniff/texture test.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

This is my husband's obsession. He works in an industry where it's his job to check dates and update product, so he does that in every store he goes in. He will gather together all the expired product and deliver it to the Service Desk. I'm sure they hate to see him coming. He finds expired product in every store he goes in. Just yesterday, he found soup that expired in 3/15. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products