U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 03:28 PM

46 posts, read 41,631 times

Advertisements

That's it. I get to stay home in my house, with my family.
Enjoy a game of jenga, share a meal, watch a movie.
INSTEAD of fighting the crazy nj traffic on my one day off work to try to find the widget in the home depot or Wal-Mart or whatever and no doubt get duped into buying two or three other widgets that I might really not need. It's a quality of life thing.

Oops, I forgot I'm on the retirement forum! Hopefully, in 2 more years when I'm retired, I'll ENJOY trips to Wal-Mart in nj traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 3,763 times
I find the advantage of Amazon Prime is more in the speed of delivery, not necessarily the cost. Often the other sellers will try and undercut Amazon Prime by the shipping cost, so it works out the same pretty much. But I trust it will be delivered and sooner and on the rare occasion I've needed to return an item, it's been a breeze. Over the years that keeps me subscribed. The streaming is a nice extra also.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM

33,466 posts, read 21,039,929 times
I use it all the time though we are not eligible for 2 day shipping in our location. I buy all kinds of stuff...... I just got a stand alone hammock!!! I just bought my fish oil and curcumine (sp?). A spatula... measuring spoons... LOL. I also send out gifts through them.

I can get things a lot cheaper through them because of where we live.

We also use the streaming for movies and such. They have some good series that are specific to Amazon. I use the music streaming also.

You can also borrow a book a month, or something like that. I have a kindle which I love.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM

5,685 posts, read 8,703,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
I used to shop Amazon a lot, however, about three months ago they began charging sales tax, even on mp3 downloads! I now alternate between Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. Although Amazon Marketplace charges shipping, I still find it cheaper than Amazon.

I personally think $99 for "Amazon Prime" is ridiculous. But, obviously, Amazon figured Americans will pay just about anything for instant gratification. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many people just on this board will fork over 100 bucks a year, not for a lifetime, but a year, for "free" shipping. Someone at Amazon needs to give a huge bonus to whomever came up with this idea. If I were at the meeting where this was proposed, I would have laughed the person out of the meeting. Boy, would I have been wrong.

Maybe Amazon should charge another $99 a year to have your item delivered in a gift box with a bow with cute little smiley faces plastered all over it. "Oh, I just love the box my item came in. I can't stop ordering more stuff just so I can get more cute boxes with more smiley faces!" And all for just a 100 bucks a year. What a deal.

Go back and reread what I wrote, and consider that not everyone is in your situation.

It cost me $16 in gas to go to town, to say nothing of wear and tear, and my time.
2 day shipping OFTEN saves me trips which would otherwise be necessary.

I look at it as "flat rate unlimited shipping" I get my monies worth.
They must have a store in your state... That's why they have to charge tax upfront (because naturally your paying it!)

Old 01-02-2016, 04:48 PM

23,741 posts, read 15,346,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
I used to shop Amazon a lot, however, about three months ago they began charging sales tax, even on mp3 downloads! I now alternate between Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. Although Amazon Marketplace charges shipping, I still find it cheaper than Amazon.

I personally think $99 for "Amazon Prime" is ridiculous. But, obviously, Amazon figured Americans will pay just about anything for instant gratification. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many people just on this board will fork over 100 bucks a year, not for a lifetime, but a year, for "free" shipping. Someone at Amazon needs to give a huge bonus to whomever came up with this idea. If I were at the meeting where this was proposed, I would have laughed the person out of the meeting. Boy, would I have been wrong.

Maybe Amazon should charge another $99 a year to have your item delivered in a gift box with a bow with cute little smiley faces plastered all over it. "Oh, I just love the box my item came in. I can't stop ordering more stuff just so I can get more cute boxes with more smiley faces!" And all for just a 100 bucks a year. What a deal.
Goodness gracious, you sound bitter. Plenty of people here have stated exactly why they like it. You are free to not like it.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 PM

23,741 posts, read 15,346,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I am a pretty new subscriber. I got it mostly for the streaming video/TV/movies. I use it a lot and the shipping thing is a bonus for me. If you average out the cost, it's pretty much the same as Netflix. I didn't get a 'deal' but I know the subscriptions are usually discounted once a year. I will be watching for this!

Does anyone know if it's the same day every year?
Yeah, anyone know anything about a discount day?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your assumption is correct. I am 69. I posted here because I wondered if retired people used Amazon Prime. I love hearing the pluses and minuses. It helps me visualize how I might use it. I do agree with not having to trudge around Costco or some other big box store, but I don't do an awful lot of that now. I do shop online though. I buy from several online clothing retailers. And shopping in general here is not great, unless we cross the Columbia River into Portland. I find this to be inconvenient.

The retailer I end up at more than anywhere else is Walgreens. I buy several products there, but I've noticed that their prices are higher than at other places. And, the other places I buy things at are grocers. I hate Macy's, JCP and Sears. In fact, its just hard to find things I want.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I really do.

Happy New Year everyone!
I don't think it's an either/or thing when it comes to Costco and Amazon Prime. We belong to Costco and shop there about once a a week or so. But we have Amazon Prime too. In fact - we have 2 accounts. One for me - one for my husband. Just so we can keep all our different preferences completely separate (especially important when it comes to our Kindle accounts and Prime Video).

I buy dozens of things from Amazon. Ranging from items I can't find locally (many things) - to things I can buy cheaper on Amazon - to things where I am being fussy about package sizing - to things where even if I'm paying a dollar or two more (and I'm often paying less) - it's worth it to me to avoid driving all around town to try to find/buy a < $10 item (even if I knew it was in stock - which it might not be). Sometimes it's a combination of 2 or more factors. Note that I buy lots of < $10 items. But I have bought 2 reasonably expensive TVs too.

My last purchases were - in order:

Quirky cord organizer (not available here)
At A Glance appointment book (50% less than local retailers)
6 month supply of floss threaders (lucky to find 2 packs in a local store at a time and they're more expensive)
1 ounce sugar packets (I like 1 ounce packets - most in stores are < 1 ounce)
Map of Madrid (not available here)
Amazon Basics headphones (delivered to hotel for plane ride home)
Oxo meat tenderizer (not available here)
Paper shredder lubricant sheets (cheap and who wants to shop around town for those?)
My favorite shampoo - Bvlgari the vert (not available here)
Benriner slicer (a gift - not available here)
Set of T5-T15 small torx screwdrivers (good set for < $10 - didn't feel like comparison shopping or even looking at local places - it's not my kind of fun shopping )
Time Out Guide/Map of Los Angeles (not available here)
3 pack of 170 count QTips (paid a bit more to get the 170 count - I don't like the 500 count packages)
Cell phone case

And - a bucket of Deer Scram - not available here and perhaps my most unusual purchase.

I do comparison shop on line. Amazon isn't always the cheapest. And - if not - I'll buy elsewhere. Recent example was a brand of cornbread mix I like that our local Williams Sonoma no longer carries.

I don't buy clothing on line anywhere for the most part. I hate returning things - and clothing - when you buy something for the first time - often doesn't fit properly. The only exception for me is Land's End - where I stock up on wardrobe basics like winter turtlenecks from time to time (bought 3 new ones this winter - and I think my net cost after all the sale pricing was something like $12/each). Of course - if you know that a particular item of clothing from a particular manufacturer fits you - it's easy to replenish your wardrobe on line.

I use Amazon Prime video once in a while. But would have the Prime account even if I never used it at all. Because I often want inexpensive/less than $35 items - like the screwdrivers or the Deer Scram - yesterday - and don't want to wait until I put $35 worth of stuff in my basket.

My best suggestion is to try it for a year. See whether you like it. And whether it's worth $99/year to you. Which is the max you'll pay. Robyn

P.S. When it comes to senior seniors - my 97 year old father resisted Amazon Prime for a long time. When he wanted something from Amazon - he'd always ask us to order things for him (for the free shipping). But when I told him about the Amazon prices on some things he wanted but was resigned to buy at bricks and mortar places - he started his own Prime account. He loves/is amazed by the 2 or sometimes 1 day delivery. Amazon is at his house more often than we are

Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I really like Prime because, for one, I buy a lot in bulk, and don't have to worry about shipping charges. For example, I purchase organic nuts from them. I also recently bought packages of Ivory Soap , and it may not have made sense had I faced shipping costs, but this was a very good buy.

What's more, I have now dropped Netflix since I have Prime.

I also purchased Amazon Fire, and it's really cheap for a tablet. I love that I have e-books, audio books, music, videos and web access all on that small and very portable device. Yes, that's all also available on my Iphone, but I appreciate the larger Fire screen.
We bought 2 of those basic Fire tablets this holiday season. First my husband bought one for me when they went on sale for $35. And - when he saw mine - he wanted one for himself. So I bought one for him at the full list price ($50). At Best Buy (Amazon was sold out). FWIW - Best Buy is very competitive with Amazon these days in some areas. Pays to at least take a look there.

In any event - one advantage of the Fire tablet and Amazon Prime IIRC is you can download Prime Video content onto your Fire for offline viewing. Useful in certain circumstances - like when you're on an airplane. You can't do that with Netflix.

Overall - in terms of video - I think Netflix and Amazon Prime are similar in terms of free streaming content. Mostly nothing to write home about. With some exceptions (there are some good movies I've seen quite a few times before). HBO content is perhaps a step up. But - if you want the really good stuff - the first run movies with good reviews before you get too old to remember what they were - or the popular over the years movies - you have to spring for the PPV on Comcast (or another service). Or buy the DVD - or wait in the DVD queue on Netflix.

For example - I like the movie Bridesmaids (2011). You can't get it free on any streaming service.

Search results for bridesmaids on Can I Stream.It?

Although you can put it in your Netflix DVD queue. It's $14.99 to buy on Comcast. $12.99 to buy on Amazon - $3.99 to rent. And you can buy the physical DVD on Amazon for $4.75.

I noticed this over this most recent Christmas season. You couldn't get any good excellent classic Christmas movies "streaming" for free except on commercial TV with commercials. Movies like A Christmas Story. The DVDs weren't cheap in bricks and mortar stores either. Perhaps it is best to build up a collection of one's favorite movies in DVD format when they're on sale? Robyn

Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,994,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmomnj View Post
We use amazon prime several times PER WEEK.
I honestly don't know how they can afford all our small free shipping
Because it's not free? You pay $8 a month plus they bump up prices overall to cover it.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...What products have you found that are more expensive on Amazon?...
This most recently:

Buckeye Beans Buckeye Corn Bread Mix

But - in all honestly - it usually takes me about 10 minutes to shop on line for any particular item.

And Amazon usually wins out in terms of price. Although - like I said - not always. Robyn

Quote:
...DH has told me that will not change his buying habits, so it will be just me using it, if I spring for it...
What are his buying habits?

None of us should get stuck in any of our ways as we get older. It can be very expensive and inefficient to do so. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or