U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,285,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
on, and preferably also sold by Amazon.

When I finally decided to pay for Amazon Prime, I looked at how much I was spending on Netflix and Amazon Prime was actually a little cheaper amortized over a year. So, I quit Netflix and went with Amazon Prime. Now I get streaming and free shipping is a bonus.
We once tried to stream a performance from the Met and it kept interrupting/stalling every few minutes. Is there some device we have to buy if we go with Amazon streaming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,448,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I tend not to use the streaming video very much. It seems like the shows I want to watch are more often on Netflix than Amazon (or cost extra). But it's still a nice option to have.
If you're at all adventurous, there are lots of indie films and shorts available on Amazon Prime.

My favorite is "The Fairy." Wonderfully whimsical. Not everything is as good but there are some hidden gems.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Have had it since it began, LOVE it, do 90% of my shopping for gift giving on it and have the items sent directly! It is WORTH the cost for sure!
When buying gifts and having them shipped to recipients, is the shipping still free?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:12 PM

338 posts, read 253,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
When buying gifts and having them shipped to recipients, is the shipping still free?
Yes.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am a Prime member, have been for several years now, so I don't pay any shipping.

I'm not looking to save money so much but what I'm looking for is ease of shopping. I just don't want the hassle if I can avoid it.

The longevity estimator tells me I have another 18 years to live. What is my time worth?
Excellent reason. I order a lot on Amazon, but not a Prime member at this point. I absolutely hate going to the mall to buy my favorite shoes, which I hope are being made till I die. Since I bought my first pair at the mall, I know the fit so I ordered them on Amazon and got them for $15 less. The only hitch was that the shoes were not coming from Amazon itself, so the free shipping did not apply. I guess I need to look into Prime.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I really appreciate your feedback. I am still thinking about this. DH has told me that will not change his buying habits, so it will be just me using it, if I spring for it. I do love the idea of not driving around to buy stuff, especially if I know the exact thing I want.

I hate spending $100 before being sure. Thanks again.
I rarely buy basic things that I haven't bought before and know the brand and quality. To avoid having to return items to an online store like Amazon, I would order the items that have been tried and true for me. That eliminates much of impulse buying. When I go into a store for something specific, like I did today, I usually come out having spent $20 to $30 on things that were never on my mind before I went in.

So we could try it for a year and cancel at the end of the year if we want, right?

Can we pay the membership with a credit card instead of having it auto deducted each month from a checking acct?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 PM

670 posts, read 532,311 times
My son has it and does all of his shopping on line. We use his membership when we order anything.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
So we could try it for a year and cancel at the end of the year if we want, right?

Can we pay the membership with a credit card instead of having it auto deducted each month from a checking acct?
It's a one-time (annual) expense. I'm unaware of a monthly option. And I'm pretty sure I paid with a credit card. Yes, you can cancel after a year if you don't like it.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:00 PM

The fine print.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...odeId=13819201

Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM

197 posts, read 165,077 times
Quote:
We once tried to stream a performance from the Met and it kept interrupting/stalling every few minutes. Is there some device we have to buy if we go with Amazon streaming?
I stream Amazon movies through my Roku.

You might be having problems with the speed of your internet connection if you are having issues.

That was the case for me also when I used DSL with Verizon. In my location that did not seem to work well and my internet was constantly being dropped.

I changed to Comcast and with higher speed I have no issues whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or