U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 07:00 PM

23,755 posts, read 15,346,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We once tried to stream a performance from the Met and it kept interrupting/stalling every few minutes. Is there some device we have to buy if we go with Amazon streaming?
It could be slow speed, interference from other electronics in your neighborhood, or a week connection into your TV. (Sorry if my terminology is not properly techie.) We had multiple problems for over a year with streaming. We had the Comcast people out, and they gave us a new router and two lines, which I now understand is standard. We got rid of an old DVD player, which was what we using to stream content, and ultimately, bought a new receiver. We finally had a direct line run under the house, and that solved our problems.

Someone here who has better understanding of all of this can do a better job of explaining this. But, if you are in a tight subdivision or condo, you might have trouble making streaming work reliably. But, you probably can make it work if you persevere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM

23,755 posts, read 15,346,331 times
[quote=

So we could try it for a year and cancel at the end of the year if we want, right?

[/QUOTE]

This is what I am leaning toward doing.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,203,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It could be slow speed, interference from other electronics in your neighborhood, or a week connection into your TV
We had multiple problems for over a year with streaming
This consumer report article may help to figure out streaming problems

Is Your Internet Service Fast Enough for Streaming? - Consumer Reports

I find that wired connection works much better than wireless. We ran 50 feet ethernet cable from our router in the computer room over the basement ceiling and up to our family room TV.

BTW, we buy often from amazon.com but through the free shipping minimum $35 purchase option and not prime. We don't watch TV/movies often so the Roku's free channels are quite sufficient. I do notice amazon frequently jackup the price of the item with free shipping such that it is not any cheaper than the same item with shipping cost.

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-03-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,994,565 times
Quote:
I rarely buy basic things that I haven't bought before and know the brand and quality. To avoid having to return items to an online store like Amazon, I would order the items that have been tried and true for me. That eliminates much of impulse buying. When I go into a store for something specific, like I did today, I usually come out having spent $20 to $30 on things that were never on my mind before I went in.

So we could try it for a year and cancel at the end of the year if we want, right?

Can we pay the membership with a credit card instead of having it auto deducted each month from a checking acct?
You can try it for free for a month. But don't forget to go straight into "My Prime" and select the option not to autorenew.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This consumer report article may help to figure out streaming problems

Is Your Internet Service Fast Enough for Streaming? - Consumer Reports

I find that wired connection works much better than wireless. We ran 50 feet ethernet cable from our router in the computer room over the basement ceiling and up to our family room TV.

BTW, we buy often from amazon.com but through the free shipping minimum $35 purchase option and not prime. We don't watch TV/movies often so the Roku's free channels are quite sufficient. I do notice amazon frequently jackup the price of the item with free shipping such that it is not any cheaper than the same item with shipping cost.
I got a smart tv and a long high def quality internet cable. I figure if I'm watching a movie, I likely am not working on the computer. We'll see how that works out. Generally I prefer to hook up the modem to the computer direct rather than wireless. I may set it up again to see, but don't see wireless as being as *secure* as a direct cable, at least in terms of a home wireless setup.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,447,567 times
I use it 5+ times per week. I don't enjoy shopping in person so Amazon Prime is awesome for me. If I can't find something on Amazon, I figure I don't need it.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 PM

14,042 posts, read 25,774,616 times
Quote:
Yeah, anyone know anything about a discount day?

Thanks!
I did a little checking and the last one was 9/25/15. One year of Prime for $67. Amazon Prime Discount: Get a year of Amazon Prime for $67 | BGR

Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,399,061 times
Quote:
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!
I have a guitar repair business and order lots of stuff through AMZ. I could buy elsewhere and pay $$$ to ship. I could also drive for hours which equals down time. I also order heavy car parts that ship here for free. A Clutch is heavy and shipped for free. The same is true for brake discs. Prime is worth it for shipping costs alone. It's also a tax deduction. I just started watching their movies so don't have a lot of experience with that.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:35 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,672,193 times
And that's the whole point. They provide excellent customer service & you can feel at ease.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Quote:
We once tried to stream a performance from the Met and it kept interrupting/stalling every few minutes. Is there some device we have to buy if we go with Amazon streaming?
I now stream on my laptop via wifi. I did have trouble for a while with a Netgear modem/router all-in-one that I bought, because I didn't want to pay the monthly fee to rent one from Charter Cable. I kept having streaming issues. And Charter won't help you trouble-shoot if it's not their equipment. So, I rented one from them, and have had no issues at all. And now, if I do have issues, they will help me figure them out.

The modem I'm renting is also a Netgear, but it's not an all-in-one model, which Charter told me are known to have issues. I have an old XP laptop that doesn't have a working wifi driver anymore, so I need to hard wire that one with an ethernet cable. What Charter did, was give me a separate modem and a separate wifi router. I can now have the XP laptop hardwired to the Internet, and my Mac laptop just uses wifi.

Anyway, too much information LOL. But, the problem could be your router. Or your internet connection isn't fast enough.

I came to this thread tonight to say that I finally tried out the free Amazon Music. OMG!!! I love it! It's so cool! I chose one of the "station" options, and what it does, is it plays some songs in a genre, and you hit a thumbs up or thumbs down for the songs as they play, or you can just skip the song.

The software will "learn" what types of songs you like, and will start playing more and more songs that you like.

AND, I don't have a data plan, but I do have an Iphone that I can use with the internet. It turns out, you can create a playlist on Amazon Music - either on your laptop or on your phone - and you can then download it to your Iphone, so you can listen to your free playlist when you're somewhere offline without data plan or internet!

So cool. Honestly, I can't believe I get all of the benefits I do with Amazon Prime for basically $8/month.

Oh, and I ordered something with free 2 day shipping, and it's not scheduled to get here for a week. So I opened a chat with Amazon last night and the item (just $6 paint brushes) was refunded to my account.

How can you not love Amazon Prime?

Oh, and Riverbird, I think you asked about free shipping to friends. Yes, it's still free. I had Christmas gifts shipped directly to friends with Amazon Prime free shipping. It will even store their address for future shipments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or