U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times

Advertisements

Oh, and one more thing that can make streaming better - your browser. I love Google Chrome, but for some reason, the picture is clearer when I use Firefox for watching Amazon videos. At any rate, you also might want to experiment with different browsers. Also, clearing your browser cache and restarting the computer when you're going to stream, can help. Sometimes it's the computer and not the internet speed.

I have never streamed to any other devices besides laptops and my Iphone so far, so I'm referring to these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 AM

206 posts, read 177,135 times
I have 1/2 price Prime membership through my old student account. I do use this. The movie selection is included but really disappointingly cheezy or just bad movies. Can find nicer selection of TV shows on the network website or Hulu free. You can also pay $8 a month to be able to read any ebooks you want. I do order a lot off Amazon (& significantly save by using Ebay.com for electronics accessories, which run 20% on there). My local area has some unsatisfactory Walmarts and is nice to just order some better quality housewares & electronics on there as my local stores have almost nothing in stock but 1 out of 10 models on display.

Here is coupon code to get 1/2 off Amazon Prime membership.

50% Off Subscribe and Save Order with Amazon Prime

Copy and paste this code at Checkout
PRIMESNS
Continue to Store

Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You know you can read reviews without being a Prime member, don't you?
Yes I do. But - in the case I mentioned - those torx screwdrivers - a product about which I know nothing - there were dozens of different sets. It was good reading all the reviews on line in one place. And then buying the set that seemed the best right then and there.

Keep in mind that this was about an $8 item. Wouldn't have made much sense to spend time trying to find the exact set I wanted elsewhere. Either on line or at a bricks and mortar store. Because the odds of finding the item cheaper with 2 day shipping included were slim/none. Price comparison shopping obviously makes sense when it comes to more expensive items. Robyn

Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
...As for the Costco thing, there are many instances in which you can save money. But my wife automatically assumes that when we need something, we should go to Costco or Sam's Club to get it. I make no such assumption. For one thing, their selection is limited, and their stock often rotates, so we can't buy the same item one week that we could last week. And secondly, just because something is at Sam's or Costco doesn't mean it's a good price. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I truly believe that when people pay for a membership to buy things at a store, they feel mentally obligated to purchase from that store, even if that feeling is unconscious, and they feel this way regardless of whether they are getting the best value for that particular item. That's why selling memberships to store clubs is a big win for a store...
We don't assume anything about prices anywhere. Sometimes - the price for an item can be cheaper on a Publix BOGO than it is at Costco. OTOH - it's hard to beat the price of toilet paper at Costco when it's on sale . Regardless of anything else we buy - I think we get more than our money's worth from our Costco membership just buying wine (our local store has an excellent selection). Robyn

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We once tried to stream a performance from the Met and it kept interrupting/stalling every few minutes. Is there some device we have to buy if we go with Amazon streaming?
Stream a performance to what? If you have a TV that's not "internet ready" - you'll need something like a Roku or an Amazon box/stick.

Note that the most robust connections are direct physical ones. From the modem/router into the computer/Roku box/whatever. But that's not always possible for every device in a household.

When it comes to the "buffering" issue you described - that is often the result of the device being too far away from whatever modem/router you have. What distance are you talking about? Robyn

Old 01-04-2016, 08:18 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've come here with questions before, and you guys always answer thoughtfully. When I asked about hearing aids, I got some good advice, with pointers to Costco, and we are going to follow up there after DH has his eye surgery.

But about Amazon Prime: do you have it, and do you like it? Has it been useful to you, and is it worth the up front cost of $100? I know some family members who do use it extensively to buy things. I am not sure about the streaming, but I do know they buy certain things that way. Part of my question concerns pricing. We do pay to shop at Costco, but we have confidence that we aren't paying too much for anything--in fact we feel that we usually we get good deals.

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, do you feel you get good value? It looks like you can buy a multitude of things that way, although not everything in the world.

Any insight about this? Thanks in advance!

I could not live without Amazon Prime. I am joking, sort of.

It has saved me so much money in shipping that it's crazy. I order from Amazon for everything. I never have to go to another site for what I need, especially now that they have Amazon Pantry also.

I don't order much food, unless it's something I can't find locally, but things like vacuum cleaner bags, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc.

The streaming digital music & video is a big bonus.

And it gets to me in two days. That was true even during Christmas.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM

31,243 posts, read 48,341,340 times
I watch streaming all the time
I use my Ipad which has only wifi connection
I use a Roku streaming stick--again with only wifi connection
Because my hard connection is too far away
At times I do have issue w weak connection
Bought a wifi eange extender that plugs into electrical outlet and connects to my home network but have not used it yet
We use our Sony bluray smart DVD players to watch streaming on our main tvs and they are hardwired because close to our physical connection--one house has Fios cable/internet and other has UVerse
We find Uverse more problamatic but normally we pay for high speed and get it

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,374,348 times
We have Amazon Prime. It is for convenience. We can easily recycle the boxes. Though we do comparison shop --ease of purchase, and home delivery is more important to us than cost. We do shop Costco every month or two. We also order from many other internet outlets. Driving around and shopping for mundane items is not my idea of fun.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,041,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We have Amazon Prime. It is for convenience. We can easily recycle the boxes. Though we do comparison shop --ease of purchase, and home delivery is more important to us than cost. We do shop Costco every month or two. We also order from many other internet outlets. Driving around and shopping for mundane items is not my idea of fun.
I FULLY agree with this. Just the other day I had to buy a rather large item for my home; I went on Home Depot's website and found it for $45 in stock at my local store. Amazon had it for $47 with free prime shipping. I went with Amazon. It would have taken me at least 45 minutes to go to the store, find it, pay, and drive back; totally worth $2.

In fact I'll even pay a little more for amazon over other online retailers because (a) their shipping speed is unbelievable, and (b) their app makes ordering so easy. Ordering on a different retailer's website could take 5+ minutes- create account, verify email, enter shipping info, enter credit card, etc. The Amazon app has a button that says "Buy it now"; you hit it, and it's on your front porch the next day.

They've really perfected shipping, at least in my area. I never pay for overnight shipping but routinely get things the next day, and even get same-day service for free on many items. It's just amazing.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:44 PM

371 posts, read 408,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...1856273&sr=1-1

And there is some additional info on that page and more on https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201806360

I could not find "easily share an Amazon Prime account with a friend and split the cost".
You simply create the Prime account, let's say in Mary's name. Mary adds her credit card info and shipping/billing address. She provides Jane with her log on credentials. Jane logs on to Mary's account and adds her shipping/billing address in the address book, as well as adding her credit card info in the payment section.

When Mary logs in and buys an item, she selects her address from the address book for shipping and selects her card for billing. Jane does the same when she logs in.

You can register multiple devices to the account, so both Mary and Jane can register their respective Roku boxes using the one set of logon credentials.

The only issue is in purchasing video, as charges for videos are automatically billed to only one card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or