Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
If you received something you didn't order, assuming they didn't charge you, keep it! Its their problem to chase you down! The law is even on your side, you don't have to pay for something you didn't order/solicit.
That wasn't an issue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,039 times
I've been a PRIME member for three years and I love it! I use the streaming video feature a lot and the FREE two-day shipping is awesome. I also enjoy the new PrimePantry feature where you can order many of the most common grocery items and have them shipped to your door. I can buy cat food and a few other items cheaper from them (even with the $5.99 per box shipping) than I can at any store.

I also have the Amazon Store Credit Card and I earn a percentage of what I spend on my Chase VISA as money to spend on Amazon.

My strategy has been to use Amazon to buy everything that I can if it's the best deal/value (including everyday items) and to use as many of the features of AmazonPrime as I can. I save a lot of money as a result.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Free shipping on everything only encourages you to spend on things you don't really need.
We already have too much stuff.
We stopped buying stuff and only buy things we really need.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 AM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Free shipping on everything only encourages you to spend on things you don't really need.
Depends on your shopping habits, I suppose.

I don't browse the site, unless maybe I need to buy a gift for someone and can't think of anything. I usually only go there looking for specific things that I would get anyway. If there were no Prime, or no Amazon, I'd be going to Target or the mall or half a dozen other places.

I hear you on the 'stuff' though.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm thinking of it for cat food. Seems we always run out at an inconvenient time. Three cats don't appreciate that!
I'm very happy with ordering food for my guys from amazon. I can get larger sizes for less, and don't have to lug it out of the store, into the truck, out of the truck...sometimes followed by a hole or two. I like having it show up on the porch.

I did keep track of how long it lasted so I'd order again in time not to run out.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
You have a good point. But I am thinking of buying things that I really need through Amazon. I don't generally order things I don't need. I am not sure what you are trying to say. Do you mean to imply that those who use Amazon Prime are buying unneeded stuff just because they can? You can do that with a trip to Macy's.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have a good point. But I am thinking of buying things that I really need through Amazon. I don't generally order things I don't need. I am not sure what you are trying to say. Do you mean to imply that those who use Amazon Prime are buying unneeded stuff just because they can? You can do that with a trip to Macy's.
I find I specifically don't spend money on stuff I don't need online. I usually search for something I'm looking for, and when a similar list shows its a variety of options, not like the psycholocially based bins in the store which convince you this item will never be this cheap... even if its not something you were there for. And before you check out you have your cart to look at, and the total. The total can be a wakeup too. You don't have that social bit when you don't really want to hold the line.

And if you happen on something which you would like, but wasn't in the days budget, there's your wish list. It's not like a store when its probably not going to be there next trip.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:01 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I have had Prime for years. I think it is well worth it. I like it not only for the free 2-day shipping, but videos, too. I just watched a PBS video tonight that is no longer available to stream directly from PBS, but Amazon had it.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I don't know how to stream although I do get reminders that I can. My main satisfaction is being able to order spices & things these towns haven't heard of. Coming from a city that had diverse products it has been hard to find the ingredients I need to create healthy and tasty meals.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Personally, I find the opposite to be true for myself.

While I might be tempted to try a strategically placed product while shopping in a store, little pixals on a computer screen do nothing for me.

I also do less impulse buying online since I have considerably more time to think about the pros and cons of a potential purchase.

BTW, as a Prime member, I get "free shipping" with both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products