U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 AM

216 posts, read 158,015 times

Advertisements

I've been a prime member for years. I also have a Amazon Store Card. I found out there is a store card upgrade with 5% off purchases. This has existed since last March but I was never informed of the upgrade option on the card. The new card is called Amazon Prime Store Card. I couldn't find any loss in capability with the upgrade- just 5% off. Has anyone upgraded and then regretted having done so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM

14,042 posts, read 25,774,616 times
Bumped up this thread to let everyone know Prime is on sale this weekend!

Amazon Prime limited time discount - Tech Insider

Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,994,565 times
That's cheper than netflix, assuming you only want to pay for one TV service.

Did you see this quote, though?
Quote:
but the service is extremely important to Amazon. Data shows that Prime members end up spending more — and more often — on the retail site than non-members, so Amazon is constantly looking for new ways to attract people to join Prime.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 AM

5,055 posts, read 6,559,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
That's cheper than netflix, assuming you only want to pay for one TV service.

Did you see this quote, though?
Quote:
but the service is extremely important to Amazon. Data shows that Prime members end up spending more — and more often — on the retail site than non-members, so Amazon is constantly looking for new ways to attract people to join Prime.

This isn't surprising since, from Amazon's perspective, that's the whole point behind Prime, to increase revenue. It's a great marketing strategy.

From the perspective of a maybe higher than average volume internet shopper, including Amazon, why not use Prime to bundle as many purchases as possible, cut down on shipping charges, and avail oneself of other services as well?

Amazon's approach means it "steals" customers from others; and to think, they started by selling books.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,907,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
This isn't surprising since, from Amazon's perspective, that's the whole point behind Prime, to increase revenue. It's a great marketing strategy.

From the perspective of a maybe higher than average volume internet shopper, including Amazon, why not use Prime to bundle as many purchases as possible, cut down on shipping charges, and avail oneself of other services as well?

Amazon's approach means it "steals" customers from others; and to think, they started by selling books.
As someone who'd taken to doing a major chunk of my shopping via amazon, and has Prime, its just a win win. We don't have dozens of stores competing for my dollar in town, just a few older specialized stores and a medium Walmart. Its perfect when I can go online, order food, craft items, shoes, etc from the same place and have them show up on my doorstep. The other part that isn't so obvious is the diversity of choices. I look at coffee pots, and don't like the one I see, but there's a bottom row. There's more options there. And there may be one brand at a store and five on amazon. And there are reviews from other customers as well. My logitec trackball finally died, and I found no US companies make wired ones. But there is a Chinese knockoff, and it was rated very highly. I might not have bought it at a store, but I took the chance and and delighted by it. The comments were exactly about my situation, since I specifically wanted on that was wired. I'll add mine.

Between Walmarts online site and Amazon, I buy very little in stores anymore but fresh groceries. I'd LOVE a store like Walmart with fresh stuff to have a delivery option on that, especially when weather is bad or no ride is available.

It's still the first place I go to look for books, especially non fiction, since the selection is so great and especially with hardbacks which don't damage easily, the price is too. And where so many book stores are corperate and if its more than three years old, its out. Amazon is more like the independent book store with multiple rows and rooms of old hardbacks and stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:13 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,053,311 times
I think I mentioned that I got a free year of Prime when I changed my phone service. One of the things I like is that I get credit towards other Amazon services if I choose the Prime "no rush" shipping option when it's offered.

I still don't think I would pay for Prime. I do think it's an excellent marketing tool.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Amazon generally has very competitive prices. With prime you get 2 day delivery guaranteed, on millions of items. We got it free for 1 year by signing up for frontier.com $30.99 phone & $19.99 internet with 3 year price guarantee. Haven't tried their TV programs or movies yet. You can buy off Amazon without Prime & get slower shipping free, or pay if in a rush, on orders $35+. They have great reviews of products, not much they don't carry except perishable groceries & you can add your reviews.

If they have a building in your state, you'll be charged tax on items directly from Amazon. They also have marketplace sellers with new & used goods, generally no tax & Amazon won't let them rip you off with inflated shipping charges. Anything bought directly from Amazon, you have a 30 day return, new or used items. You pay return shipping if you don't like it. They pay return shipping up to their original shipping cost if you get a defective item. I agree Costco is great, best products with good prices. Best wishes.
You still have to pay tax on marketplace sellers. It's just more paperwork.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
They must have a store in your state... That's why they have to charge tax upfront (because naturally your paying it!)
Having a store in your state just means they have to charge tax upfront. I think what people don't understand is that the paperwork later on to pay taxes is a hassle. Might as well pay it upfront.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
I used to shop Amazon a lot, however, about three months ago they began charging sales tax, even on mp3 downloads! I now alternate between Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. Although Amazon Marketplace charges shipping, I still find it cheaper than Amazon.

I personally think $99 for "Amazon Prime" is ridiculous. But, obviously, Amazon figured Americans will pay just about anything for instant gratification. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many people just on this board will fork over 100 bucks a year, not for a lifetime, but a year, for "free" shipping. Someone at Amazon needs to give a huge bonus to whomever came up with this idea. If I were at the meeting where this was proposed, I would have laughed the person out of the meeting. Boy, would I have been wrong.

Maybe Amazon should charge another $99 a year to have your item delivered in a gift box with a bow with cute little smiley faces plastered all over it. "Oh, I just love the box my item came in. I can't stop ordering more stuff just so I can get more cute boxes with more smiley faces!" And all for just a 100 bucks a year. What a deal.
I find it more convenient that Amazon now charges tax. Less paperwork!

Old 01-18-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal1962 View Post
Love Amazon Prime. Have had it since 2011. My reasons are similar to many here. It saves me time, and since I'm still working, free time is pretty valuable to me. When I retire in a few years, I'll re-evaluate that to see how important it still is. I've bought everything from kitchen items to electronics (TV, camera, laptop) to furniture, games, jewelry and clothing.

Do I come out ahead financially? Probably not, but I don't think I'm that far behind. Without Prime, I would likely usually wait for the super saver shipping, or go out and physically buy the items myself. But it sure does satisfy the immediate gratification bug inside me Since the price went up AND they had to start charging sales tax, definitely a bummer on the financial side.

I do listen to Prime music, and enjoy that. When I work from home, it's nice to just holler over at Alexa and have her pop some different music on. I don't stream movies/TV much, but I might have to get the Starz add-on (at least for the free 7 day trial) so that I can watch two particular movies that I've been wanting to see (Guardians of the Galaxy and Into the Woods).

This year for Christmas, I had many of my presents shipped directly from Amazon to Colorado instead of figuring out how to pack them in my luggage. When a wine glass showed up so shattered that the shards were leaking out of the sealed package, the return was quite easy. And last year for Christmas, I literally started shopping on December 22nd (courtesy of the procrastination bug), bought 100% on Amazon and every single present was delivered on Christmas Eve.

My Prime renewal is due in a week, and I'll be paying it again.
Sales tax doesn't really change anything on the financial side. You just don't have to pay it up front. There's no real savings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or